Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4122710 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r11
« Reply #2595 on: May 14, 2015, 12:18:05 am »

While I do want to say thanks for making this pack... (My God... it's amazing.  All these interface features we've been begging Toady for for years, and some people with hacking tools just forces it into the game, anyway... Does Toady know about this?  Like, Standing Orders and not canceling jobs that couldn't be fulfilled have been the number one item on Eternal Suggestions Voting SINCE IT BEGAN, and he still hasn't bothered yet... It can't be that hard!)

I have to ask why there can't be some copying over of certain things, especially raws?  This isn't a version update for DF, and there's no reason the raw objects files can't be carried over, and it makes re-updating all the mods annoying.  Same goes for art files (of which I have custom), embark profile, worldgen parameters, or init files.   Having an importer program with collision detection shouldn't be that much more work to incorporate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:45:42 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: May 14, 2015, 01:33:55 am »

Neat, thanks.

Small problem with the clickable embark menus, though; you can't scroll through your list of dwarves with the keyboard controls anymore. Keyboard controls still work with every other part of the menu - skills, items, etc. - but not dwarves for some reason. Or maybe it's just my game?

Cheers.

This. I was raging for a bit. I have never touched the mouse before now while playing DF and it feels dirty.

I've actually found mouse control for designations to be fairly decent.  Well, I hate using nothing but rectangles, and prefer "rounded" or other designs, so "painting" makes more sense than rectangular fill. 

Using the mouse to loo'k' at a stack without having to actually cancel out of a menu or pause the game is also nice. 

But yeah, it's kind of weird to play DF, and have the Interface not actively spitting in your face or screaming obscenities at you while canceling all your job orders because some dwarf lost a barrel.

I've just gotten super used to making circles and designs using the keys, I make a lot of circular towers and I have it down pat.

I'm sure there are things that would be faster if I learned to incorporate the mouse, but I just hate switching between having both of my hands over the keyboard and one hand on the mouse, yaknow.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: May 14, 2015, 01:56:05 am »

I have to ask why there can't be some copying over of certain things, especially raws?  This isn't a version update for DF, and there's no reason the raw objects files can't be carried over, and it makes re-updating all the mods annoying.  Same goes for art files (of which I have custom), embark profile, worldgen parameters, or init files.   Having an importer program with collision detection shouldn't be that much more work to incorporate.

TLDR:  doing this right in anything more than a minimal way is such a colossal pain I haven't gotten to it yet.

Making this work better is a medium-term priority for me.  The short answer is that it has to work on anyone's (windows) computer, and basically the current script is as far as I can take batch scripting - and Python requires everyone to install that, or a disproportionately big blob.  Basically it's waiting until I have a weekend and actually want to, or the problem gets easier in some way.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: May 14, 2015, 08:43:34 am »

TLDR:  doing this right in anything more than a minimal way is such a colossal pain I haven't gotten to it yet.

Making this work better is a medium-term priority for me.  The short answer is that it has to work on anyone's (windows) computer, and basically the current script is as far as I can take batch scripting - and Python requires everyone to install that, or a disproportionately big blob.  Basically it's waiting until I have a weekend and actually want to, or the problem gets easier in some way.
It might be possible to use the interpreter (or Python library) embedded in PyLNP to run external Python scripts, actually (which would be nice because scripts like that could be made more portable).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: May 16, 2015, 08:53:05 am »

The Starter Pack has updated to 40_24 r12!  As usual, you can get it here.

Just a bugfix update - fixes some issues associated with menu-mouse I didn't catch last time (sorry!), hiding TwbT files (they're not really tilesets, usually), and the PyLNP update also adds better logging of mods merging in debug mode.  Strike the Earth!

Changelog:
 - updated menu-mouse to v0.13
 - menu-mouse disabled by default; now part of "mouse control" hacks in launcher
 - hid TwbT overrides in tilesets list
 - updated PyLNP to v0.10a

SHA256:  5ac800b9e205f9cb929aad9ac98869068f8de59e9c9e556b5d8b0205ae044e90
 Donations here.

Klekavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r12
« Reply #2600 on: May 16, 2015, 12:01:38 pm »

Yay! Thanks!

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: May 16, 2015, 12:12:33 pm »

Thanks again Per
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: May 16, 2015, 12:13:11 pm »

Thank you very much for your dedication, Peridexis!

terminalmonky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: May 16, 2015, 12:19:47 pm »

Do not apologize!  You rock for spending time to compile and maintain this.  Thanks.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: May 16, 2015, 06:34:30 pm »

Do not apologize!  You rock for spending time to compile and maintain this.  Thanks.
Seriously, the Pack is a compilation of third-party plugins to third-party extensions of alpha software.  Consider yourself an exemplary Pack custodian if you haven't burned down anyone's house!

And, thanks again for the tireless work lassoing all of these unstable bits and bytes into something friendly enough for newbies and experts alike.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: May 16, 2015, 07:13:09 pm »

Exception in thread Thread-2:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\[redact]\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\threading", line 808, in __bootstrap_inner
  File "C:\Users\[redact]\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\threading", line 761, in run
  File "C:\Users\[redact]\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\core.download", line 211, in __process_queue
  File "C:\Users\[redact]\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\core.update", line 107, in extract_new_pack
  File "C:\Users\[redact]\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\core.update", line 118, in extract_archive
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'.\\Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r12.zip'

That seems like a weird place to pull it from. :P

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: May 17, 2015, 07:23:15 am »

Is it just me? Going to the Graphics > Customize menu causes PyLNP to freak the hell out. It looks like the font menu is constantly trying to expand and overlap anything else. Doing anything on that tab (was trying to change color scheme) causes it to freeze up immediately. Everything else is perfect as usual.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: May 17, 2015, 08:34:40 am »

Is it just me? Going to the Graphics > Customize menu causes PyLNP to freak the hell out. It looks like the font menu is constantly trying to expand and overlap anything else. Doing anything on that tab (was trying to change color scheme) causes it to freeze up immediately. Everything else is perfect as usual.
... it's not doing that for me, at least.  If it's a persistent problem try restarting the computer (really), then grabbing an older build or running the Python source directly.

<snip>

You mean the build location?  Pidgeot could build it wherever, but that's where it goes... personally I agree though, the PyInstaller build system gives weird tracebacks.  No need to redact either, it's all over on bitbucket under a real name.

Donations here.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: May 17, 2015, 08:56:32 am »

It sounds like Tk (the UI library used) isn't able to layout properly for whatever reason. A screenshot or something would be helpful.

Resizing the window slightly might avoid the issue.
<snip>

You mean the build location?  Pidgeot could build it wherever, but that's where it goes... personally I agree though, the PyInstaller build system gives weird tracebacks.  No need to redact either, it's all over on bitbucket under a real name.

Yeah, PyInstaller doesn't have any support for removing the path, and since it's not exactly difficult to find out my name (and said name is quite common), I don't really consider it a priority at the moment.

As for the actual error, my best guess is that your anti-virus program was blocking the file.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:35:48 am by Pidgeot »

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: May 17, 2015, 10:02:43 am »

Thanks again Perry!
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 385