Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 378155 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Half of You Have Injured Left Legs]
« Reply #2445 on: October 14, 2013, 04:11:58 pm »

Great, the only person I could ally with, and he's phased out, and once again I've just butchered my leg.

Screw it, recast.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: October 14, 2013, 04:25:55 pm »

Pick weapon up, swing it around a bit. Determine if it's able to reliably kill someone or if it's largely nonlethal.
if weapon is sufficiently lethal
Stash the weapon on my person somehow, such as sticking it through a belt loop or something.
Yanjunc Haustiver Bulg.
Observe result. If hostile, slash it.
if weapon is not very lethal ((my intended purpose))
Stash the weapon on my person somehow, such as sticking it through a belt loop or something.
Bawsencif Reoxidinn Fluslit, while imagining a weapon or twin weapons, able to launch multiple projectiles at the same time or nearly the same time in a burst, made of silver. ((If this is what I think it is...))
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Vakothu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: October 14, 2013, 07:04:45 pm »

((Really, I survived several turns against an arcane-breathing dragon just to turn my legs to cloth with a single word?))
If I am in any immediate danger of bleeding to death from the wounds in my chest, yes.  If I am in no danger of immediately bleeding out then Overcharge Potency by one and say Haustiver Flifact, focusing on my left leg turning back into flesh, if ley lines appear activate them.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:11:00 pm by Vakothu »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: October 14, 2013, 07:21:41 pm »

words and self dragging
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: October 14, 2013, 08:02:29 pm »

((Really, I survived several turns against an arcane-breathing dragon just to turn my legs to cloth with a single word?))

I know, right?  Such is the whim of magic.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 14, 2013, 08:55:55 pm »

The jaggedness is because of, well, I don't have any idea of how to remove it, it's done from raw data, its supposed to look like that.
My point was that there is not a consistent Death Rate. Deaths tend to happen in bursts, and certainly not consistently.
Incidentally, any chance you'll continue the Death Graph?

You temporarily phase out of reality.  [GM SHIELD ACTIVE]
Suggest the GM add someone from the waitlist to keep Fun levels up to par. Conceal that my true motive is to increase the number of players.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 14, 2013, 09:33:01 pm »

I have Reasons for not doing that.

Since we're at the point I can talk about words a bit more openly (seeing as 71 turns have gone past), I'm considering a bit of a change. 

Up until now, pretty much every single spell that does something results in a physical object (the glows, ley lines, and grey fogs being the exceptions seen so far.)  This is because I interpret the words heavily toward creating a physical object.  That's cool and all, but what about the cool spells that can be done that don't result in a physical object?

Let's take a word that has been seen- Hover.   Previously, if you said "Hover Steel" you'd get a chunk of steel that just floats there.  That's cool and all, but what if you wanted to make an existing piece of steel float?  In the original, you'd either mark it with the hover word or use a control item.

What if, instead, "Hover Steel" made steel in the target area float?

That you know of, there's no pure spell way to do that.  I think it might be interesting to alter the way words similar to "Hover" to act differently if not bound to a form.  "Hover Steel Cat" would still get you a floating steel cat, but if you said "Steel Cat" then "Hover Steel" then the cat would start floating (for a time- not permanently.)  Now if you just said "Hover," nothing would happen as it does now.

Let's take a couple more example words that may or may not exist: Repair and Convert.  Now, if you said "Repair Flesh" you'd just get a hunk of flesh that didn't do anything special- words that don't make sense in the spell just "burn off."  But I think everyone would like that to be a heal spell, right?  Now, if you said "Repair Flesh Staff," you'd get a staff of flesh that healed flesh you smacked with it.

Convert would require two element words to work.   "Convert Steel Air" would make that steel sword being waved at you a lot less threatening.  "Convert Steel" wouldn't make sense and would get nothing (though steel in the target area might shudder or something to give you a hint.)

The only question is what is a reasonable defense against this action?  Assuming a "Break" word exists,  "Break Flesh" would be a general all-purpose attack spell.  Is that just an End roll to resist?  What about "Break Steel" against that nice steel armor set you're wearing?  Do I give the items an End roll?  A Will roll is a sensible first suggestion, but it really makes no sense in context for equipment.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Derisive laughter?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 14, 2013, 09:43:10 pm »

Still disappointed that Arcane Leg didn't give me a leg.

I have to figure what Arcane (My Left) Leg is.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: October 14, 2013, 09:45:13 pm »

I'd rather keep spells as they are the way they are, and also add an "Enchant" word. "Enchant Hover" might make something you are touching hover. "Enchant Fire" might make a flaming sword. Stuff like that.

As to the other ideas...go nuts. I'd make resisting magic a Will roll in general, regardless of if it targets you or your equipment. Justify it with a Manton Aura or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 14, 2013, 09:58:41 pm »

I'd rather keep spells as they are the way they are, and also add an "Enchant" word. "Enchant Hover" might make something you are touching hover. "Enchant Fire" might make a flaming sword. Stuff like that.

As to the other ideas...go nuts. I'd make resisting magic a Will roll in general, regardless of if it targets you or your equipment. Justify it with a Manton Aura or something.
I think i alteady know that word, i tried using it to turn my greatsword into an arcane blast but i futzed the roll so i dunno if it is.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 14, 2013, 10:15:12 pm »

What if that word already existed?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: October 15, 2013, 02:36:19 am »

You could try Angle's approach in his game.

All magic requires a whole sentence to work. If you don't fill in a parameter, you get a random result.
So you need a material, an item, a direction, and a verb.
You could say "Create Steel Sword In_My_Hand" and a steel sword will be summoned into your hand.

If you leave out the "Steel" part, then you still get a sword in your hand, but the material will be random.
You could get fire, copper, flesh, hair, Hell, whatever.

So if you only say a single word, things get really crazy.

It makes it so that saying multiple words doesn't make you more powerful, just more precise.

In his game, I managed to delete all of the blood from my body from only saying a single word.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 15, 2013, 02:53:38 am »

No offense to angle but i dislike that system, it completely undermines the core gameplay mechanics that make perplexicon so great.
The whole reason i love perplexicon is because it forces you to be creative, i dont just wanna say big dragon breath and get a 200 foot long eldritch monstrosity that spews arcane energy at the rate of a broken dam, i want my spell stucture to fail horribly and i want to breathe out a massive blast of shimmering images of ancient wyrms and have my skull caved in by another player wielding a wooden mallet because i forgot to include a material.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 15, 2013, 06:49:44 am »

The jaggedness is because of, well, I don't have any idea of how to remove it, it's done from raw data, its supposed to look like that.
My point was that there is not a consistent Death Rate. Deaths tend to happen in bursts, and certainly not consistently.
Incidentally, any chance you'll continue the Death Graph?
Yes, now that the structure is made, it's a matter of typing two numbers each update (will update once someone dies)

I have Reasons for not doing that.

Since we're at the point I can talk about words a bit more openly (seeing as 71 turns have gone past), I'm considering a bit of a change. 

Up until now, pretty much every single spell that does something results in a physical object (the glows, ley lines, and grey fogs being the exceptions seen so far.)  This is because I interpret the words heavily toward creating a physical object.  That's cool and all, but what about the cool spells that can be done that don't result in a physical object?

Let's take a word that has been seen- Hover.   Previously, if you said "Hover Steel" you'd get a chunk of steel that just floats there.  That's cool and all, but what if you wanted to make an existing piece of steel float?  In the original, you'd either mark it with the hover word or use a control item.

What if, instead, "Hover Steel" made steel in the target area float?

That you know of, there's no pure spell way to do that.  I think it might be interesting to alter the way words similar to "Hover" to act differently if not bound to a form.  "Hover Steel Cat" would still get you a floating steel cat, but if you said "Steel Cat" then "Hover Steel" then the cat would start floating (for a time- not permanently.)  Now if you just said "Hover," nothing would happen as it does now.

Let's take a couple more example words that may or may not exist: Repair and Convert.  Now, if you said "Repair Flesh" you'd just get a hunk of flesh that didn't do anything special- words that don't make sense in the spell just "burn off."  But I think everyone would like that to be a heal spell, right?  Now, if you said "Repair Flesh Staff," you'd get a staff of flesh that healed flesh you smacked with it.

Convert would require two element words to work.   "Convert Steel Air" would make that steel sword being waved at you a lot less threatening.  "Convert Steel" wouldn't make sense and would get nothing (though steel in the target area might shudder or something to give you a hint.)

The only question is what is a reasonable defense against this action?  Assuming a "Break" word exists,  "Break Flesh" would be a general all-purpose attack spell.  Is that just an End roll to resist?  What about "Break Steel" against that nice steel armor set you're wearing?  Do I give the items an End roll?  A Will roll is a sensible first suggestion, but it really makes no sense in context for equipment.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Derisive laughter?
I like the current system. If the word for enchanting an item works, then there would not be necessary any change, you just need to know the word to change already existing stuff.

I'm on favor of things like break needing at least a material or form to be effective. Endurance rolls for people: yes. Endurance rolls for items: no. The potency check is already enough.

I think that you are worried of us not finding the meaning of some words by this time, but we will eventually figure out it on our own.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 15, 2013, 08:03:57 am »

What if that word already existed?
Then why do we need a whole new system?

By the way...what is the chance of us being able to make (say) an anvil, some wood, some floating steel, and a hammer, then making a floaty suit of armor from that?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 198