Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256183 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Changing of Hands
« Reply #675 on: January 09, 2014, 04:53:32 pm »

Make everyone play Follow the leader!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 09, 2014, 05:48:48 pm »

Halesey, not mentioning the fez to Larry at all, tries his fun new spell.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 6-->3]

He waves his hands in a whimsical way, and suddenly a rather sizable number of pale, large men in brightly-colored tracksuits, their thick, dark hair forming veritable manes on their heads. They all stand in a neat line, their arms crossed and the expressions on their faces not entirely friendly. That worked pretty much as expected, Halesey guesses. He goes forth after the Arch-Magus, but then realizes a crucial detail, as does the closely-following Larry - these fellows are in the way. Just as he begins to wonder what problems this may pose, though, one of the guys steps aside, opening a way through the wall of mooks.

"Go right in, boss. Your friend can come, too," he says in a very Slavic accent.

Halesey guesses that's okay, and both of the men head deeper into the building, the ranks of the mafiosi closing behind them, heading over to the leyline, where they find the fat guy and the lawyer-Jo looking at normal-Jo, who appears to be twitching wildly as she looks in the direction of the leyline, her eyes rolling into the back of her head. This is a little disturbing, but it lasts only a few seconds, at which point Jo becomes completely normal - tranquil, even.

"Wow."

"Feels good, huh?"

"Yeah."

"So this 'leyline' helps you become more magical?"

"Yep. But to get it working better, we need specific constructions - I've had designs flashing in my mind all the time, and I've drawn up plans, too. Consulted a civil engineer buddy o' mine, he said they looked okay. Bizarre, but not unsound. Wanna see the plans?"

"Depends. Are they easy to read?"

"In a word, no. But they look real good."

"Maybe later when she conjures me again."

Willy needs not be told twice to lead a charge into the promised land - he runs forward, and Hungry Pete charges after him. They run at the nearest door they can find, only to be surprised when a burned man walks out of it, looking creeped-out.

"Great. More lunatics. Have fun in there."

He then runs right past the group, not giving them a second glance. Oh well. At least he left the door open. The two people (as well as their sickly sweet followers, all looking very happy now and lagging noticeably behind) head inside, only to find three others deeper within - a man who looks like an Asian Jesus and two old-looking people. The Jesus-impersonator seems to be explaining something to the two old people.

"-and I gotta take you guys somewhere. It just ain't safe here anymore. Now come on, get up. Please. It's for your good - there's stuff happening here that's so crazy, even I don't know what the heck's up with all of it."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 09, 2014, 06:31:05 pm »

Larry looks back at the line, and has a recollection of days at the 7-11.  "Can't your guys just shake down people for cash or bootleg or something?  Aren't they good at making money?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 10, 2014, 05:38:55 am »

"Tubercollosis! Er, tumorculisis! Um, help me out here Willy."

"Tuberculosis?"

"Sure, that's a great idea!"

Tuberculosis.

After that, Willy asks who they are and why they're so old.

"What're you doin' here? And why are you old?"
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 10, 2014, 06:08:34 am »

Willy, after conferring with Billy, casts his characteristic blessing.

[Willy's affinity roll: 1-->6]

The pink glow appears on his hand, but then flashes suddenly and fades away. Darn! Willy, not patient enough to try again immediately, asks the sordid old people and their Jesus friend a question.

"What're you doin' here? And why are you old?"

The old guy turns to him, lips pursed and looking positively ancient. Without saying anything, he turns back to his friend. The old lady doesn't even do that much, mumbling something in some sort of eldritch beast language and doing nothing else. Jesus is more responsive.

"Whoa, guys. What're you doing here? This place ain't safe. There's crazy things happening up above."

Oh really?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 10, 2014, 06:09:31 am »

"You know, that's a pretty good idea. How much did you say we need, Arch-magus? Fifty grand? Hey, guys, any of you got any good schemes for getting a hundred k quick? Half goes to you to split amongst yourselves, okay? As long as it's nothing the cops could trace back to me..."

This last to the mafiosi.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 10, 2014, 06:15:02 am »

"You know, that's a pretty good idea. How much did you say we need, Arch-magus? Fifty grand? Hey, guys, any of you got any good schemes for getting a hundred k quick? Half goes to you to split amongst yourselves, okay? As long as it's nothing the cops could trace back to me..."

This last to the mafiosi.

One of the mafiosi immediately replies.

"We are not connected, boss. Also, we will disappear in minute or so. We are here to prevent all kinds of peace-dukes from crossing a point in space. We can do nothing else. It is psychological thing. If you conjure hairy mafioso or evoke hairy mafioso, or call upon hairy mafioso, or maybe even commune with hairy mafioso, maybe get better results."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 10, 2014, 10:35:56 am »

"Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks."

Bust out a Wall of Pigeons to help me reflect on an actual plan, in that case.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 10, 2014, 01:12:32 pm »

((Those are some very self-aware hairy mafiosos.))

Larry scoffs.  "See?  Magic fixes everything- you just need the right spell."  He slams his head into the book.   "Oi!  Book!  What's a good money-making spell?"

Ask the book directly.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 10, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »

"Why don't we head down the flea market or something with your hat collectionifier? Wonder how may hats you'd have to sell to make a hundred thousand..."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 10, 2014, 06:15:09 pm »

"Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks."

"You're welcome."

Having been failed by the oddly sensible and self-aware mafiosi, Halesey tries to bust out a wall of pigeons. Pigeons inspire him.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 3]

However, only a handful of pigeons appears. That is a few handfuls of pigeons short of what Halesey needs right now. And this is depressing. Fortunately, before Halesey can reflect on this gaping pigeonless void in his soul, Larry intervenes with stellar wisdom.

"See?  Magic fixes everything - you just need the right spell."

He then opens up his book and thrusts his face into its pages, communing with his own book-entity.

"Oi!  Book! What's a good money-making spell?"

He doesn't need to wait long for an answer. As expected, it is loud.

~OOH! SUMMON HATS! SUMMON HATS, YES! AND ALSO BREATH OF DIVINE GENTLEMEN'S LITERATURE! YOU MAY THINK IT AN UNLIKELY COINCIDENCE THAT BOTH OF THESE ARE SPELLS IN YOUR CURRENT POSSESSION, BUT I CALL IT FATE! YOU MAY IN TURN SAY THOSE TWO ARE REALLY ONE AND THE SAME WHEN YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, BUT I WOULD THEN REPLY WITH A 'PISH-POSH' SO HEARTY AND FILLED WITH UNDISGUISED SCORN THAT YOU WOULD HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO CRAWL INTO THE GROUND AND DISAPPEAR OUT OF SHAME! LET'S NOT LET IT COME TO THAT, YES?~

While Larry stands in place, book and face seemingly joined together like Siamese twin BFFs, Halesey repays Larry's earlier bit of wisdom with a valuable comment of his own.

"Why don't we head down the flea market or something with your hat collectionifier? Wonder how may hats you'd have to sell to make a hundred thousand..."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 10, 2014, 06:27:04 pm »

((why no, mister baldman, I have not in fact lost interest. I am however horrible out of date as to what happened here and am currently typing on my phone, so i'll just posta sheet now and try to read all that's happened by tomorrow.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 10, 2014, 06:31:56 pm »

Very nice. You probably don't need to rush - I'm still trying to get a handle on scapheap, which may take a short while. If scapheap doesn't reply at all, that'll give you about three days or so of time to get your reading done. It's not absolutely required, though. You will get an introduction of your own.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 10, 2014, 06:34:01 pm »

((wub wub wub))

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 10, 2014, 07:26:48 pm »

"Whoa, guys. What're you doing here? This place ain't safe. There's crazy things happening up above."

"I'm leading a church to survive whatever's going on. What about you?"

"We still don't know why they're old, Willy. Better be careful!"

Willy gave a mental nod. "What kind of things are happening?"
Dying of laughter?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 244