Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317923 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: A Perplexicon game where Derm actually dies. Heresy!
« Reply #1756 on: December 05, 2014, 10:15:28 pm »

Add me to ze wait list.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:29:14 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: December 05, 2014, 10:16:24 pm »

Oh hell wait did I go back on the list? If not put me on th elist retroactive to where I died.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: December 05, 2014, 10:19:51 pm »

Add me to ze wait list.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'd switch Potency and Pool, if I were you. There's not much you can do with 1 Pool; being able to use 2 words is much better than a 1/3 chance of a +1 on your roll.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: December 05, 2014, 10:29:31 pm »

I was actually about to do that :D
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Now a murderous parody of the Benny Hill show.
« Reply #1760 on: December 07, 2014, 12:57:24 pm »

Turn 084

Make use of my new spear.

Systar squealed a bit as the rush of power filled him.  "Right then, who's next?"

The choice is clear, really.

Wow, that was worth watching.  Clap a bit towards the end of that, then leave.

Quote from: EP
PM

Quote from: Beirus
PM

[Igor Jr. spd:4-1=3]
[Systar spd:6+1-2=5]
[Thrancaole spd:5-1+1=5]
[Flimsy spd:6-1=5]
[Robert spd:4]

Relevant:
[♪]

MASSIVE CHASE IN PROGRESS

Systar, noticing that it would be better if he can actually survive to make a good use of the souls, begins to run the hell away from these murderous people. He is closely followed by a shadowy figure, with dark, sharp edges, and the Flimsy Wizard. Yeah, he managed to run.

During the chase, the Wizard says some words:

[Flimsy pot:4+1=5]
And he starts to glow, and, after giving the order, the magic transforms him into biometal. Yay! Yet another one.

Biometal form:
[Light]
[Yields]
[Soft]
[Naturally sharp]

Burns changed to [Slightly mauled]

But the other people nearby also notice that they don't want to miss the opportunity to get fresh souls, and so both the Dragon and Igor Jr. join the chase as well.

The chase continues:

[Igor Jr. spd:3-1=2]
[Systar spd:5+1-1=5]
[Thrancaole spd:3-1+1=3]
[Flimsy spd:2-1+1=2]
[Robert spd:6]

And Systar continues to run, going past both of the guys who were fighting in the Arcane Room, and now getting into the NE hallway. He is closely followed by the drake, and the shade is somewhat behind.

The Flimsy Wizard stops to catch his breath, even though he doesn't need to breathe any more. He is lazy, that's it. Unfortunately for him, Igor Jr., who was just behind him, seems to be trying to test his new toy on him. But, first, he says something:

[Igor Jr. pot:1]
[Igor Jr. end:6] ((plus insane modifiers))

But he is suddenly whacked with electricity. Apparently not having noticed that, he tries to use his stabby thing:

[Igor Jr. dex:4-1=3]
[Flimsy dex:6-1+1=6]

But the Wizard sees this coming and counterstrikes with his claws!

[Flimsy dex:2-1+1-2=0]
[Igor Jr. dex:3]

But as the Wizard tries to charge at him (as in, run like a girl flailing wildly with his arms) Igor Jr. suddenly has a better idea: bring him to the floor. He steps to one side and catches him by his shoulders:

[Igor Jr. str:6]
[Flimsy str:3-1-1=1]

And he performs a takedown. Now the Flimsy Wizard is lying on the ground.

[On ground]

The chase, meanwhile, continues:

[Systar spd:2+1-2=1]
[Thrancaole spd:4-1+1=4]
[Robert spd:1]

But Systar suddenly finds that he can't really run any more now, stopping in the middle of the NE hallway. Hey, the purple sheep is still here, but all its legs are normal now. The fact that he stopped gives the opportunity to both of his pursuers to get close and personal. The shadowy figure strikes first:

[Thrancaole pot:5+1=6]
[Systar dex:2+1-1=2]

[Systar dex:1+1=2]

[Thrancaole pot:2+1=3]
[Systar dex:6+1=7]

[Thrancaole pot:3+1=4]
[Systar dex:5+1-1=5]

[Systar dex:6+1-1=6]

[Thrancaole pot:3+1=4]
[Systar dex:5+1=6]

And a flurry of repetitive words ends up with the hallway filled with purple gas, and Systar inhaling quite a lot of it.

But the Shade didn't have enough, and so, having used all its magic mojo, goes for a more physical strike:

[Thrancaole dex:1-1+1+1=2]
[Systar dex:1+1-1=1]

[Thrancaole str:5-1-1-1=2]

And he pokes a little bit Systar's wound. It hurts.

And, again, here comes the dragon! It rushes to the wounded Systar and tries to unleash, guess what, even more spells:

[Robert pot:3+1=4]
[Systar dex:3+1-1-1=2]

[Robert pot:1+1=2]

[Robert pot:4+1=5]
[Systar dex:4+1-1-1=3]

And the poor Systar, who couldn't help but to inhale the toxic gas, now couldn't avoid the fire either. Although, as it didn't actually get inside of him, that was better than expected. The fire caught those part which had burns already, and, while they did get worse, it wasn't such a problem. As a bonus, the fire that hit his chest helped him to reduce the bleeding, so yay!

Bleeding in the torso went back to [Bleeding II]

The fire received was not enough to advance to the next phase of the burns, but will cause a change if fire is applied once more.

But the drake still hasn't finished his strike, and so it tries to bite Systar, again.

[Robert dex:4]
[Systar dex:5+1-1-2=3]

[Robert str:5-1=4]

And Systar screams as the dragon manages to latch on his right leg (the one that has been burned). The diamond teeth pierce his skin and draw blood. This is not looking good for him.

((Biting counts as wrestling. Robert can shake Systar next turn for free, doing half damage. Systar will have to break the grapple in order to prevent this))

Right leg now has [Bleeding II]

But then Systar realizes that something bad is happening inside of him. He coughs, then feels nauseous, and finally begins to feel how his limbs can't sense stuff with as much detail as before.

Systar has gained:

[Necrosis]

[Numbness:I]

The purple sheep is looking at the fight with interest. Particularly at that diamond naginata.

RIGHT. Let's see how this goes. Again.

More Pink Mist. More fetching Mace, kick Mako in the balls if he tries to stop me again.

Quote from: TCM
PM

[Bigf01t spd:1]
[Mako spd:5]

Mako totally ignores the rattle that just happened in and across the room, and tries again to kill this damned guy:

[Mako dex:4+1=5]
[Bigf01t dex:1+1=2]

[Mako str:4+1=5]
[Bigf01t str:5]

And he grabs Bigf01t again, and tries to shove him against a wall. He just shoves him back, and they both look at each other with their best "Ima gonna kill ya" face.

Then Bigf01t tries again to grab his mace:

[Bigf01t spd:4]
[Mako spd:2]

And he jumps, grabs the mace from the floor and rolls away. He then stands up as Mako is coming after him and shouts his word again:

[Bigf01t pot:2+1=3]
[Mako dex:1+1=2]

And a little bit of purple smoke appears just in front of Mako's nose. He sneezes. Damn, he is starting to hate that thing.

Be confused. Then, look at the book and say the words. And hope that the thing in the magma doesn't care about me.
I'm reusing the PM for the hypothetical action I would have gotten if Syvarris hadn't responded.

You look into the magma moat. It is hot, but you don't see anything moving now. Well, better read bullshit words and hope that it doesn't kill yourself:

[Pot:6]
Your body begins to glow, tiny golden particles slowly orbiting towards your flesh. Without asking, the magic makes you flash with light, and you find that you are now lying on the floor. And that you can't move your body. And that you don't actually have a body now. You can't actually move anything expect of your head, that now seems to have a kind of beak instead of a mouth, and some colorful green feathers seems to be decorating your hair and eyebrows.

This is bad, you realize, but that doesn't prevent you from trying more magic:

[Pot:5]
Something must have happened here, but the magic didn't actually found what to affect. You guess that you should say oops, or something like that now.

[Pot:1]
Now the magic fizzles and you get the sensation hat something went wrong, but you don't know what, how, or even if it has a material effect on your person.

You are a bird head! You can't move, and can't do anything, for that matter (excluding magic, of course).

Character sheets

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TCM (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NAV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Syvarris (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lost in Nowhere (click to show/hide)

GM comments

I had to apply a small, but likely meaningful balance change. All the non-aimed spells fired by a single person only count as one attack for the purposes of calculating the dodging penalty. Why? Because, otherwise, said person would have he possibility to use a really advantageous overdrive in its favour, trading two pool for a -1 in the opponent's roll (which would be the exactly same thing as gaining a +1 yourself for most purposes). This sort of overdrive would have been cheaper than a normal one and there wouldn't have been a turn limitation to reuse it. It is eventually made worse if the caster can't suffer the consequences of its own magic (for example, with non-organic transformations and miasma/purple fog).

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: December 07, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »

I thought I was going to cast a bunch of spells after turning myself into biometal?

Edit: Wait, no, I did. My Pool should be lower.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: December 07, 2014, 01:11:19 pm »

I thought I was going to cast a bunch of spells after turning myself into biometal?

Edit: Wait, no, I did. My Pool should be lower.
You lost the chase, you didn't cant any spells because you couldn't reach your target.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: December 07, 2014, 01:16:16 pm »

That worked horribly...
Let's try something else that hopefully won't have as horrible consequences...
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: December 07, 2014, 04:07:47 pm »

What happened to one attack per turn?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: December 07, 2014, 04:32:12 pm »

Why do you ask? It was one physical attack per turn, but everybody is able to burn their whole pools in one turn if they desired.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: December 07, 2014, 04:56:26 pm »

Y'all can probably guess what I'm about to do anyway.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: December 07, 2014, 05:09:50 pm »

Why do you ask? It was one physical attack per turn, but everybody is able to burn their whole pools in one turn if they desired.

I guess I misunderstood that.  Hmmmmm.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: December 07, 2014, 11:04:47 pm »

And a little bit of purple smoke appears just in front of Mako's nose. He sneezes.
Well, that's the most adorable murder attempt to visualize yet.
You know what?
PM; Yea, THAT'S RIGHT.
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: December 07, 2014, 11:33:57 pm »

Shake and Bake.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 197