Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 109

Author Topic: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.  (Read 212001 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.
« Reply #1485 on: May 07, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »

Team B:

Impact. Brace for it. Keep an eye on the Damage Control consoles.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 07, 2014, 05:05:40 pm »

Team A - Thaddeus - Grunt - Ship Alpha

Strap into a chair, if time permits, and brace for impact. Otherwise, stay in my corner and brace for impact.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:22:13 pm by renegadelobster »
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 07, 2014, 09:41:06 pm »

((Joseph is eligible for the extra tokens RC and would appreciate them))
Team G

if Steve hasn't begun moving the ship then take control and begin assessing engine capacity and weapons, if able bring about the ship to present the biggest gun then open fire (ON THE ENEMY)
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 07, 2014, 11:43:08 pm »

Team E

Strap in if we have time and brace for impact! Make sure to hold onto something sturdy, incase of decompression.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 08, 2014, 11:40:32 am »

Team H, Starfleet Command - Anton Chernozorov

"Поехали! Steve, concentrate on the battleships first, the Black Death can draw the attention of the smaller vessels. Although... what am I saying, you're the commander here. But have the strike group move in at least, I think their participation here is way overdue.

For that matter, if you can spare the time - a question. I designed the Black Death with the intent of making a wholly unconventional, surprising attack craft. With the sensors the UWM has, will they see the actual firepower carried by that ship? Of the four ships in the group, if they approach as one flight, which will seem most threatening to them? I have this idea of a sudden strike, of a sort, but it kinda depends on the UWM making the Southern Cross a priority target until it is too late. Here's what I'd like to do...
"

Speak to Steve. Using Steve's advice and own schematics, determine the following:
  • Will the Black Death's super-plasma-cannon ping it as a high-threat target to the UWM sensors?
  • Will the Southern Cross and the two standard ships be statistically likely to survive a direct approach to the fringe of the enemy battlegroup, while keeping the Black Death safely in the back? The standard ships' survival is low-priority.
  • Can the Tug/Southern Cross quickly alter its direction of flight without turning its laser-absorbent front plate away from the enemy?

If the approach is feasible, and the Cross can maneuver away without making too easy of a target of itself, then go with it.
> Southern Cross, screened by Tweedledee and Tweedledum, and followed by Black Death, approaches the edge of the enemy battlegroup, avoiding the bigger battleships if at all possible. It will close to effective range of the fusion missiles it carries, and salvo both of them into the nearest enemy ship, as well as firing its laser cannons as appropriate - prioritizing incoming projectiles and enemy weapon systems. Tweedledee and Tweedledum, although much less armed, should attempt to do likewise.
> Once the Cross launches the missiles, it breaks off and attempts to leave engagement area, as do the standard ships. The Black Death instead goes into maximum acceleration and engages the nearest enemy ships - avoiding any impending fusion blasts. It should expend at most four of its cannon charges firing at the smaller ships, preferably one shot each at any identifiable critical areas to maximize damage spread.
> With two charges remaining, the Black Death should attempt to leave the engagement area, and move to a higher orbit. If it is damaged or otherwise in danger of being destroyed, it should expend its remaining charges to deal as much damage to the enemy as possible, before ultimately attempting to flee the area and return to base, or getting destroyed trying.
> The Southern Cross, Tweedledee, and Tweedledum, should any of them survive, will return to a lower orbit and remain ready to move in to evacuate personnel from the captured ships.

If the approach is unfeasible or the Cross can't get away without exposing its less protected sides, have the strike group move behind the captured ships, keeping a significant distance to avoid being hit by enemy near misses. Survey the unfolding battle and try to formulate a better plan of attack.

((Reminder:
> Southern Cross: Big vaguely teardrop-shaped space tug, carries four laser cannons, PD lasers, and two Fusion missiles. Large front armor plate covered with laser-absorbent material.
> Black Death: Ex-Blackship converted to carry an enormous Plasma Cannon with six charges, still fast and maneuverable despite that.
> Tweedledee and Tweedledum: Standard cargo hauler ships, carry two Cutting Laser turrets each. Tweedledum is slightly modified for FTL travel, but is functionally identical to Tweedledee.
))
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:49:27 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 08, 2014, 11:48:44 am »

Take a moment out of VR to watch the space battle. Ask Steve to link me to his imaging equipment so I can see the battle unfold.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 08, 2014, 12:39:28 pm »

Team B - CO Simus

I'd rather not go flying through the bridge's walls on impact. So bracing would be a good idea. Do it.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1492 on: May 08, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »

If your action is just bracing for impact, assume it was seen and accepted.

Team G - Ship Gamma

Brace for impact.

Ask Steve: Can you pass me any kind of information about the most powerfull units of UWM?

>What kind of units? Infantry, armor, space, submersible, etc.

((Joseph is eligible for the extra tokens RC and would appreciate them))
Team G

if Steve hasn't begun moving the ship then take control and begin assessing engine capacity and weapons, if able bring about the ship to present the biggest gun then open fire (ON THE ENEMY)

I like that last bit there. Don't worry, steve got this for now.

SHIP ALPHA
(Team a,d,H)

The entire ship jerks awkwardly to the side, listing a full 70 degrees and sending everyone inside it tumbling down and rolling into the nearest wall. A second later the ship jerks again and gravity suddenly cuts out, leaving the teams floating. The lights in the control room flicker a few times and the ship's damage displays bleed an angry red into the darkened room, the paths of gauss rounds clearly visible on their track straight through the ship.  The vessel shudders again and jerks forward.

>We've lost control of environmental systems, all crew into a suit if you're not already in one. Seal up. We've also taken a hit to one of the fuel reserves. The last shock you felt was the main engines and a large chunk of the rear of the ship exploding. Weapon systems and secondary maneuvering is still online. Continuing to fire.

SHIP BETA
Team c,b
Quiet. Nothing but the vibrations of the ship firing.

SHIP GAMMATeam g
Allow me to put this in perspective. Steve saw the round coming,  but there was nothing that could be done. The ship couldn't move in time. Hell, he wouldn't have even had enough time to say "look out", if he had chosen to waste processing time it. The round is the size of a small car, and the path it took through the ship was maybe 15 feet away from a direct hit to the cockpit. That sort of force, at that sort of proximity...To them there wasn't even a moment of fear. There was no time to comprehend. Renen, in full bullet time, in a body designed specifically for high speed movement and reaction, only barely catches a glimpse of it as the cockpit collapses, melts and explodes all at once; A brilliant white light as the force of the round radiates as heat and light.

Jhoseph is dead. May too. Both gone, for good this time. Renen...he might be alive, somewhere in the wreckage. The doc did good work on him. There's not much left to kill. Maybe if ARM wins this, salvage crews might find a brain case in the debris field. Maybe.

Ship Gamma and all crew are dead.

SHIP DELTA Team F
No damage.

SHIP EPSILON
Team e

No damage.

TEAM H.

Anton watches the situation from his seat in the control room. He has a first row seat to the destruction of Gamma, and the horrible damage of Alpha. He watches as the heat radiates away from the destroyed engines and waits to hear if anyone transmits from the shell of Gamma.  He Considers rerouting a rescue ship to check the wreckage, but quietly decides against it.

As he sits and taps away at the consoles, someone walks into the room. It's Leo. And he's carrying something football shaped under his arm.

Team H, Starfleet Command - Anton Chernozorov

"Поехали! Steve, concentrate on the battleships first, the Black Death can draw the attention of the smaller vessels. Although... what am I saying, you're the commander here. But have the strike group move in at least, I think their participation here is way overdue.

For that matter, if you can spare the time - a question. I designed the Black Death with the intent of making a wholly unconventional, surprising attack craft. With the sensors the UWM has, will they see the actual firepower carried by that ship? Of the four ships in the group, if they approach as one flight, which will seem most threatening to them? I have this idea of a sudden strike, of a sort, but it kinda depends on the UWM making the Southern Cross a priority target until it is too late. Here's what I'd like to do...
"

Speak to Steve. Using Steve's advice and own schematics, determine the following:
  • Will the Black Death's super-plasma-cannon ping it as a high-threat target to the UWM sensors?
  • Will the Southern Cross and the two standard ships be statistically likely to survive a direct approach to the fringe of the enemy battlegroup, while keeping the Black Death safely in the back? The standard ships' survival is low-priority.
  • Can the Tug/Southern Cross quickly alter its direction of flight without turning its laser-absorbent front plate away from the enemy?

If the approach is feasible, and the Cross can maneuver away without making too easy of a target of itself, then go with it.
> Southern Cross, screened by Tweedledee and Tweedledum, and followed by Black Death, approaches the edge of the enemy battlegroup, avoiding the bigger battleships if at all possible. It will close to effective range of the fusion missiles it carries, and salvo both of them into the nearest enemy ship, as well as firing its laser cannons as appropriate - prioritizing incoming projectiles and enemy weapon systems. Tweedledee and Tweedledum, although much less armed, should attempt to do likewise.
> Once the Cross launches the missiles, it breaks off and attempts to leave engagement area, as do the standard ships. The Black Death instead goes into maximum acceleration and engages the nearest enemy ships - avoiding any impending fusion blasts. It should expend at most four of its cannon charges firing at the smaller ships, preferably one shot each at any identifiable critical areas to maximize damage spread.
> With two charges remaining, the Black Death should attempt to leave the engagement area, and move to a higher orbit. If it is damaged or otherwise in danger of being destroyed, it should expend its remaining charges to deal as much damage to the enemy as possible, before ultimately attempting to flee the area and return to base, or getting destroyed trying.
> The Southern Cross, Tweedledee, and Tweedledum, should any of them survive, will return to a lower orbit and remain ready to move in to evacuate personnel from the captured ships.

If the approach is unfeasible or the Cross can't get away without exposing its less protected sides, have the strike group move behind the captured ships, keeping a significant distance to avoid being hit by enemy near misses. Survey the unfolding battle and try to formulate a better plan of attack.

((Reminder:
> Southern Cross: Big vaguely teardrop-shaped space tug, carries four laser cannons, PD lasers, and two Fusion missiles. Large front armor plate covered with laser-absorbent material.
> Black Death: Ex-Blackship converted to carry an enormous Plasma Cannon with six charges, still fast and maneuverable despite that.
> Tweedledee and Tweedledum: Standard cargo hauler ships, carry two Cutting Laser turrets each. Tweedledum is slightly modified for FTL travel, but is functionally identical to Tweedledee.
))
This came as I was submitting the post. You should know that I'm having your fleet move in and attack this turn. That plasma cannon actually did surprisingly good damage, though  the enemy is now rather unhappy with the black death, so I don't know if it will last long. Things are actually going well, if you can believe that. This battle won't last much longer.  Oh and, you should focus on the problem at hand, leave the ships to steve for now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 08, 2014, 12:44:23 pm »

Ship Delta: Team F: Grate

Continue being braced. Hold a moment of silence in memory of the fallen.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 08, 2014, 12:50:31 pm »

Team B

Brace harder. Check that my brain's armoured and shit.

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1495 on: May 08, 2014, 12:57:52 pm »

Team A

Ask Steve to fire reverse thrusters for the boarding pods if it would be a good idea, so that if we get hit again, at least some will be saved.
Again, see if there's any way to help the crewmen not die.

"Hull breach, hull breach! Everyone get to a spacesuit!"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:29:30 pm by Parisbre56 »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 08, 2014, 01:00:11 pm »

Team F

See if there is anything I can do to help Steve while staying in the seat.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 08, 2014, 01:02:53 pm »

Brother Lars:  Team F Chaplain

Lars continues to pray unaware that- for some at least- the prayers went unanswered.

Continue to pray and brace.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 08, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »

Team A - Ship Alpha | Skylar - Support

Look around and see if there are suits on the bridge for the bridge crew. If there are, get someone to help shove them into suits, ideally without untying them.

If no suits on the bridge, continue to brace. Check map for life pods, judge the amount of time it would take to run to them or to run to the bullets we came in on.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:00:02 pm by Kriellya »

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:50 pm »

Hasala Nabin - Team H - Hephaestus Control Room

Hasala ignores the man who had just walked into the room in favor of checking out the status of the other teams.
"Ouch."

((This is mostly to remind Sean and piecewise that my character is in the room, too. Not that I can do much, since I didn't visit the armory or the locker room before leaving the ship. >.> ))

EDIT: If Anton attacks Leo or Leo does something hostile, help Anton/hold Leo down/etc.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:48:58 am by swordsmith04 »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 109