Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Endless Legend  (Read 19392 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Endless Legend
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2014, 03:13:43 pm »

Started a new game, and combat is infinitely faster if make sure to setup combat speed acceleration to max!

I haven't had any luck actually having a military conflict in which I didn't steamroll the enemies so far. I probably have to play on a harder difficulty level.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2014, 11:46:12 am »

Bought the game today.
Seem to be quite similar to and yet quite different from Civilization.
Everything in this game intrigues me so far.

balrogkernel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2015, 08:54:40 pm »

The endless forum is too disorganized. :(   I've noticed that the frame rate gets very slow once you've gone beyond turn 200.  There doesn't appear to be a way of fixing this, at least for my computer.  Although the combat system was fun at first, I realized that during my wild walker play through there was no defense against the wild walker ranger elite army.  Initiative is way too important, and since they are ranged with 4 tiles of shooting on a relatively small hex map it's just too good.  The enemy doesn't have a chance to hit you.  It's sad, because it's so much more fun playing Master of Magic battles that are imbalanced yet have some challenge (ah yes, the sorcery nodes filled with sky drakes and phatom beasts).  Even when you were unstoppable with the heroes in MoM, it felt like you had really earned it.  But here in endless legend, enemies can't fight back consistently and you just rack up the exps to get even more overpowered.  I wish that amplitude took suggestions to improve that combat system, but I really doubt that will happen.  It's too bad because otherwise the game gets a lot right and has such potential to be a classic. 

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2018, 07:53:26 pm »

This is a super old thread, and I didn't want to make a new one that I'd have to maintain...so hopefully this is okay. This is the only Endless Legend thread I found in search.

I'm thinking next month may pick up Endless Legend (on steam), along with Alpha Centauri on GoG (the latter being 100% that I'm getting it). But as far as Endless Legend goes...

How does the game hold up after all these years? Is it worth playing as far as a civ style 4x fantasy game goes? Or just worth it for a fantasy 4x in general? Or are there better choices on Steam/GoG? I notice it still gets updates and DLC, which popped up on my Steam page actually. It looks like its my style of game, but I dunno how it actually holds up. Mostly worried since people say AI is kinda bad, and so since it just be fighting AI and not multiplayer...might get a bit easy is my only worry. But maybe there are mods that make the AI better.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2018, 11:12:15 am »

It's pretty, certainly. It's not terribly deep, but it has a fair breadth and the varied mechanics above make for some additional longevity. The AI seems to do a lot worse on big maps, FWIW.

I was rather surprised to see the new expansion for it pop up this past week, but that happened so I don't know whether to think development is done. I'll certainly be revisiting when the expansion opens up in a couple of days.

(And yes, that means that I thought that even now it was worth buying the expansion before it released.)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2018, 02:44:22 pm »

How does the game hold up after all these years? Is it worth playing as far as a civ style 4x fantasy game goes? Or just worth it for a fantasy 4x in general? Or are there better choices on Steam/GoG? I notice it still gets updates and DLC, which popped up on my Steam page actually. It looks like its my style of game, but I dunno how it actually holds up. Mostly worried since people say AI is kinda bad, and so since it just be fighting AI and not multiplayer...might get a bit easy is my only worry. But maybe there are mods that make the AI better.

I liked it and got quite a number of hours out of it. The main thing about it is that each race is completely different (really, really different) so it's fun to try them all out. The AI isn't terrible - it's sort of standard 4x type AI. It's relatively easy to ramp up the difficulty though by which races you choose though - selecting one which is 'weak' to others and putting teams which synergy well together can make for quite a challenge.

The DLC makes a big difference though, so make sure you get the full package (or at least quite a number) I played it at launch and wasn't impressed but came back when they did a big discount on all the DLC and thought it was really good.

The only downside is the combat is a bit boring and auto-resolve seems to punish you heavily - it's not a big draw back though.

I'd definitely say it's worth getting it on sale, and possibly full price if you're a big 4x fan. It's different to any 4x you'll have played, and there's enough to keep you occupied for a long time.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2018, 06:00:35 pm »

Thanks for the info :) I actually went and ahead and bought it, but I haven't got the DLC yet. I did like Endless Space 1 and 2 a lot (and still play ES 2 quite often), and its by same company so I got a bit of an idea of type of game it is. I went ahead and watched a couple episodes of a let's play and it looks great.

Sadly without the DLC, it is kinda limiting as far as races go. I dunno what else is limiting. I kinda wish I didn't see the races that are locked but then it wouldn't entice people to buy them I guess. I'd rather wait to buy the one I want to be before playing. Its that weird race that has eyes and stuff on it. That race looks amazing. So I'm gonna wait till I get paid and go ahead and buy some of the DLC before starting. I still think it was worth the money though, I see myself getting a lot of hours of it if ES2 is anything to go by. I like how cities grow and a lot of the features sound neat. Plus it has steam workshop, which is always a nice bonus
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:02:19 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2018, 04:57:04 pm »

Thanks for the info :) I actually went and ahead and bought it, but I haven't got the DLC yet. I did like Endless Space 1 and 2 a lot (and still play ES 2 quite often), and its by same company so I got a bit of an idea of type of game it is. I went ahead and watched a couple episodes of a let's play and it looks great.

Sadly without the DLC, it is kinda limiting as far as races go. I dunno what else is limiting. I kinda wish I didn't see the races that are locked but then it wouldn't entice people to buy them I guess. I'd rather wait to buy the one I want to be before playing. Its that weird race that has eyes and stuff on it. That race looks amazing. So I'm gonna wait till I get paid and go ahead and buy some of the DLC before starting. I still think it was worth the money though, I see myself getting a lot of hours of it if ES2 is anything to go by. I like how cities grow and a lot of the features sound neat. Plus it has steam workshop, which is always a nice bonus

Yeah I'm sure you'll get a lot of fun out of it, but I'd agree with waiting till you get a few of the DLC's. They add a lot and the game isn't nearly as good without them. I'd recommend the sea one most of all - that added a lot more to the maps which feel a bit bare without.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2018, 11:49:19 am »

All the DLC and the game (and the other Endless games) are on a really good sale today, till the 6th (August). Sale accompanies the new expansion launch, inferno.

I did see it was already posted on the sales thread, but since this is the Endless Legend thread figured it still fit here as well

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2018, 01:14:21 pm »

them endless games are also free to play next 3 days on steam... so give them all a test, they pretty cool

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2018, 08:33:04 pm »

Yeah, gonna give the Dungeon game a try and see how I like it

As for the DLC. I bought the entire DLC collection (wasn't too bad, 23 dollars or so for everything+the inferno DLC). And wow, pretty much what was said... night/day difference to how much there is on the map and more to do and what not. Without the DLC the ocean for example is really barren. Kinda like EU4 where you can play without the DLC, but miss a ton of content and features and it isn't really worth playing (unless the person just doesn't know what the DLC is like and doesn't feel like they "miss" out cause of it).

As for the game itself. I'm enjoying it so far. Already 6 hours in, though 1 hour of that was before DLC stuff. Its pretty much what I expected from watching videos, though I do like the combat. The video I watched the person just did automatic combat so it was a nice surprise to see there was more to it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2018, 05:38:25 am »

Really though, an endless legend is just a leg.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2018, 07:03:18 am »

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like Endless Legend. Disinstalled it after 11 hours.

It's not a bad game. Far from it.
It looks very pretty but, for me, it tries to do too many things. It feels like a bunch of half-finished games put together to provide an artificial feeling of depth and complexity.

It's a 4x with quests, basic RPG elements, a rudimentary city builder and very basic tactical combat.
These single parts of the game are mediocre at best. Put together, they make a mildly entertaining 4x game.
To me, the result has been a very bland and uninspired game.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2018, 07:11:24 am »

Really though, an endless legend is just a leg.
This joke has no leg to stand on!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2018, 08:26:08 am »

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like Endless Legend. Disinstalled it after 11 hours.

It's not a bad game. Far from it.
It looks very pretty but, for me, it tries to do too many things. It feels like a bunch of half-finished games put together to provide an artificial feeling of depth and complexity.

It's a 4x with quests, basic RPG elements, a rudimentary city builder and very basic tactical combat.
These single parts of the game are mediocre at best. Put together, they make a mildly entertaining 4x game.
To me, the result has been a very bland and uninspired game.

We are the vocal minority!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6