Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: Aspects of Eight RTD [Turn 19: Intent]  (Read 38573 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects of Eight RTD [Recruiting 0/8]
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 09:39:08 pm »

I think you guys are being a bit harsh on Froggy. It's true that most of his character sheet makes me wince, but he did have one interesting bit:
Personality
Generally fun based but has a surprisingly strong moral compass.
Plus, his main rival has a lot of the same issues:
Personality: It flip-flops. Will try to help you one minute, then try to kill you the next. To be more specific, Rassura is slightly crazy, so he has multiple personalities.
Goals: Play everyone against each other so chaos will win in the end. Or make things fun! Whichever comes first!
I like his physical description a lot, and obviously his name is better... but a bipolar multiple personality chaos god isn't exactly immune to the same concerns a blank one is.
In more general news, character selection is more difficult than I was expecting. Baldman's in particular is riding the line between interesting and headache.
Well, I personally consider "multiple personality disorder and intends to play others off of each other for fun" to be more interesting than "fun (whatever that means) and also moral". And that's not getting into things like the personalities treating each other as separate individuals to play off of others...
Then there's the new personality. It shows that Lyeos cares enough to try and change, and it shows a more interesting individual than "'fun' and 'moral'".

I'm willing to try and tweak my god, but...well...I like the idea of a less-involved god.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects of Eight RTD [Recycling... ... ...]
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2014, 09:42:59 pm »

It seems like I'm in, but I should probably do some tweaking on the personality thing. Is slow okay, or should I do a full rewrite of the personality?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2014, 09:48:56 pm »

I think you guys are being a bit harsh on Froggy. It's true that most of his character sheet makes me wince, but he did have one interesting bit:
Personality
Generally fun based but has a surprisingly strong moral compass.
Plus, his main rival has a lot of the same issues:
Personality: It flip-flops. Will try to help you one minute, then try to kill you the next. To be more specific, Rassura is slightly crazy, so he has multiple personalities.
Goals: Play everyone against each other so chaos will win in the end. Or make things fun! Whichever comes first!
I like his physical description a lot, and obviously his name is better... but a bipolar multiple personality chaos god isn't exactly immune to the same concerns a blank one is.
In more general news, character selection is more difficult than I was expecting. Baldman's in particular is riding the line between interesting and headache.

Well, I personally consider "multiple personality disorder and intends to play others off of each other for fun" to be more interesting than "fun (whatever that means) and also moral". And that's not getting into things like the personalities treating each other as separate individuals to play off of others...
Then there's the new personality. It shows that Lyeos cares enough to try and change, and it shows a more interesting individual than "'fun' and 'moral'".

I'm willing to try and tweak my god, but...well...I like the idea of a less-involved god.
Changed my personality for clarity.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:09:37 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2014, 09:52:36 pm »

Eh. Still sounds a bit generic and dull, really. Also better-suited to a more mortal being, like a pixie or nymph or something, than a god.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2014, 09:54:50 pm »

Still don't like the name, the lack of appearance, and the lack of goals.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2014, 10:00:21 pm »

The issue I have with that is that everything tends to look an awful lot like nothing. Saying you've got a bevy of different personalities that might do anything isn't terribly different from saying nobody knows how your character will act. If you had, for instance, a character who described themselves as "Can be cruel yet kind, cowardly but sometimes brave, patient except when impatient, swings between happy and sad..." and so on, you probably wouldn't feel like you had much of a better grasp on that character than one who hadn't said anything at all.

I may have been a bit dismissive of the playing people off each other thing, though. It struck me as kind of cliche and unlikely to work, which may not have been fair.

Well yeah, but Froggy hasn't really had the same chance as Lyeos yet.

Well, ninja'd by him doing so.

You don't particularly have to; it's okay and you don't have any competition. I'm just a little concerned about "passive" turning into "boring and unmotivated." The concept of a detached or aloof god is interesting enough in general.

It seems like I'm in, but I should probably do some tweaking on the personality thing. Is slow okay, or should I do a full rewrite of the personality?
Slow is fine, your character just came off as kind of like every stereotypical slow wise rock monster ever.

GLORF
Eh. Still sounds a bit generic and dull, really. Also better-suited to a more mortal being, like a pixie or nymph or something, than a god.
Forced to roughly agree here. Lyeos' revised character has some real personality to it; this guy's now kind of a stereotypical G-rated trickster. The name and appearance are fairly petty concerns overall, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2014, 10:05:51 pm »

I remade my personality, and tweaked my avatar accordingly. I had an idea to go with a theme based around metal, instead of that standard rocky slowness.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2014, 10:10:06 pm »

Funny you mention that Owl, since I actually thought ole' Ormo would fit best as a chaos aspect, but seeing as that place was already contested, I lifted him into the next best thing. However, perhaps he could use a few revisions, to make him more fitting with his element;

Spoiler: Orpo-gom Revised (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:24:41 pm by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2014, 10:11:19 pm »

The issue I have with that is that everything tends to look an awful lot like nothing. Saying you've got a bevy of different personalities that might do anything isn't terribly different from saying nobody knows how your character will act. If you had, for instance, a character who described themselves as "Can be cruel yet kind, cowardly but sometimes brave, patient except when impatient, swings between happy and sad..." and so on, you probably wouldn't feel like you had much of a better grasp on that character than one who hadn't said anything at all.

I may have been a bit dismissive of the playing people off each other thing, though. It struck me as kind of cliche and unlikely to work, which may not have been fair.

Well yeah, but Froggy hasn't really had the same chance as Lyeos yet.

Well, ninja'd by him doing so.

You don't particularly have to; it's okay and you don't have any competition. I'm just a little concerned about "passive" turning into "boring and unmotivated." The concept of a detached or aloof god is interesting enough in general.

Slow is fine, your character just came off as kind of like every stereotypical slow wise rock monster ever.

GLORF
Forced to roughly agree here. Lyeos' revised character has some real personality to it; this guy's now kind of a stereotypical G-rated trickster. The name and appearance are fairly petty concerns overall, though.
Well that's not really my goal but it's hard to explain without evedence of action. I'll try to change it later.
EDIT: A little better but still flawed.
EDIT 2: It's hard to describe as a personality but in a way he his a "G rated trickster god" but with a large difference. Most such trickster gods are ether mildly annoying good guys or asshole badguys. Zorus is designed to be chaotic neutral. He won't really mess with any specific  group and could just spend time making amusing things and in general will be a neutral party who doesn't really care about who's on who's side and instead about the specific people and the circumstances in which the meet.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:30:32 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2014, 10:32:50 pm »

And hey, if it works, it'll be fun.

I'm just a little concerned about "passive" turning into "boring and unmotivated." The concept of a detached or aloof god is interesting enough in general.
"Boring and unmotivated" will likely be more boring for me than anyone else. I'll fix that problem if it comes up.

The name and appearance are fairly petty concerns overall, though.
Maybe, but...they're both really bad. They screw up the immersion, you know?

I remade my personality, and tweaked my avatar accordingly. I had an idea to go with a theme based around metal, instead of that standard rocky slowness.
Ooh, interesting.
Sig

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2014, 10:53:14 pm »

So, I was thinking of adjusting Aquilos' personality to make him a bit less manic and more reactive by giving him a generally calmer attitude and more patience before he reaches a point of outrage. I was thinking of basing it sort of on a hurricane or tornado, where there is a buildup due to outside elements before he decides "Rawr, I'm gonna destroy your trailer park!". Any thoughts? Also, sorry if this doesn't make total sense. I've been on the road for about 16 hours and I'm a little tired.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2014, 11:27:38 pm »

Turn 0: Moment

For a timeless moment, the Aspects simply looked at each other.

Firalk Nivorik (Kevak), the Hyper White Wolf. Aspect of Life.

Mort (Pancaek), the Dutiful Black Spider. Aspect of Death.

Vanhurk Dorein (Zalkoz), the Noble Silver Bear. Aspect of Order.

Rassura (Lyeos), the Ditzy Black Shark. Aspect of Chaos.

Quinghai (GWG), the Calm Golden Sea Serpent. Aspect of Water.

Nohpalli (Wwolin), the Gluttonous Black Eidolon. Aspect of Fire.

Aquilos (Beirus), the Impulsive Serpent. Aspect of Air.

Enkisar (Worldmaster), the Stubborn Silver Wyrm. Aspect of Earth.

Then what happened?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects of Eight RTD [Turn 0: Moment]
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2014, 11:53:58 pm »

Aquilos takes a moment to look at the others before speaking. "This space is so...empty. It's kind of boring." Aquilos sighs, exhaling for the first time.

Exhale, creating the First Wind, a wave of gases and air currents that shall travel throughout the universe.

((I suppose this would be a good way to test the waters.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2014, 11:59:40 pm »

PTW!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2014, 12:02:33 am »

Rassura watches the many-winged one as he speaks, clenching her teeth together in her best attempt at smiling in approval, or at the very least agreement, at his words. Now, however, was not the time to act - that would come when she learned more about the others.

Rassura bides her time, watching the others to see what they'll do, particularly the silver-haired one across from her.

((Indeed, although I feel my waiting didn't need to be bolded.))
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:41:38 am by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32