Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971552 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3075 on: February 19, 2016, 07:19:48 pm »

So it turns out most of my players were unhappy/disgusted/depressed by the last game's turn of events. I've been asked to do everything from retcon the entire last session to set the stage for the players dictating terms/swearing oaths to never be on the wrong side again.

Sort of not sure how I feel about all this. Part of me feels like I should have interceded as a GM to break up the murdertrain, part of me doesn't. Part of me feels responsible that it went that way, part of me doesn't. Part of me really dislikes the narrative turn things took, another part kind of appreciates the shift in tone. One of my players is tacitly blaming me for how things went despite acknowledging I neither pushed the party do this stuff or even set the stage for it. It's kind of like.....where do you draw the line as a GM? Between letting your players be players and flat out telling them something isn't allowed. In previous games I've been instructed by this group of players to remove "NO" from my vocabulary. Suddenly I'm being told that NO would have been appropriate in some fashion. Like, I should have made Space Marines explode from the ground and stop the party as my way of saying "preying on helpless victims is bad." On any other day, that would be called out as GM railroading BS.

And here I thought letting players dictate the campaign was going to make my life easier. Ha!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: February 19, 2016, 07:35:35 pm »

I'd say make them face the consequences of their actions. They wanna murder and enslave innocent people? Then be prepared to live with yourself and the consequences.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: February 19, 2016, 07:43:31 pm »

I mean, it sounded like it was largely the captain who decided to do it. The crew mutinying for excessive evil would totally work, story-wise.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: February 19, 2016, 07:46:02 pm »

Could be cool, a mutiny, then the crew has to deal with the guilt over what they did. Then they try to repent by going on some sort of personal little crusade to try and free all the dark eldar slaves.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: February 19, 2016, 08:25:24 pm »

A penance crusade does sound interesting from an audience's point of view. In the end, I say just go with whatever makes the game as engaging as possible. Increase or decrease fun so long as you maintain that engagement.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: February 19, 2016, 09:27:33 pm »

snip'd

GM advice: every player wants their GM to remove 'No' from their vocabulary, right up until they hit their limit.  'No' is part of your arsenal for a reason, and that reason is to keep things rolling.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: February 19, 2016, 09:28:59 pm »

So it turns out most of my players were unhappy/disgusted/depressed by the last game's turn of events.

One of those parties.  ::)

Seriously, who goes into a 40k RPG expecting anything other than death, horror, slavery, suffering, anguish, torture, injustice and cruelty to be the norm for player actions?  :P

I may not be the best example of a standard 40k RPer given that my preferred game is Black Crusade, and my favorite xenos is the Dark Eldar, but I feel that doing horribly inhuman things for personal gain is a large part of the point of RPing in the 41st millennium.

#Evil4Life
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: February 19, 2016, 11:40:29 pm »

I feel like 40k deserves it's own alignment system. On one axis, Discipline/Stability/Anarchy, on another, Naivety/Pragmatism/Cruelty, and on the last, Loyalty/Unpredictable/Ambition. With Neutrals for all three, of course.

Eldar might be Disciplined, Loyally Pragmatic xenos, while the Orks might be Anarchical, Unpredictably Cruel xenos.

...and while I might be a fanbot, sometimes I have to embrace my inner Space Marine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: February 20, 2016, 12:17:52 am »

Frankly, it doesn't really need anything other than the Warhammer Fantasy alignment system of Lawful, Good, Neutral, Evil, Chaotic. With the exception that essentially everyone on the board is Lawful or Chaotic.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3084 on: February 20, 2016, 01:57:04 am »

Most Wh40k games are ...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: February 20, 2016, 02:19:33 am »

Frankly, it doesn't really need anything other than the Warhammer Fantasy alignment system of Lawful, Good, Neutral, Evil, Chaotic. With the exception that essentially everyone on the board is Lawful or Chaotic.
There is no Good in 40k. Only varying degrees of Grimdark. And there's more depth to the behaviors than two axes, in 40k, for groups especially.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: February 20, 2016, 02:26:20 am »

I think real issue is that most people thought they were doing one thing, before it wildly became another. Like I said, if we were playing Black Crusade, no one would have batted an eyelash. I think people were really getting into the whole "sea fairing" adventure vibe before it turned into a senseless bloodbath with some more morally repugnant choices thrown in for good measure.

I'm sort of a little nervous and excited for next session.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: February 20, 2016, 08:29:38 am »

What if the Emperor is talking to us from the future, giving us premonition in the form of the Warhammer 40k universe and the tabletop game? What if every game that's played on the tabletop actually happens 38,000 years into the future?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3088 on: February 20, 2016, 09:00:54 am »

Then he's wildly dissapointed with the heretics and traitors playing Xenos and, well, heretics and traitor scum. What if the Big E is actually walking amongst us and looks for worthy to walk beside him (as Perpetuals?) Or maybe it's some kind of an warning? In any way, the safest thing to do is to praise the God-Emperor and pass the ammuniton.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: February 20, 2016, 09:18:31 am »

Then he should really have worked out a proper balance by now.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 824