Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971483 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4215 on: May 19, 2016, 02:12:44 am »

also because this would be the approximate difference so if you're looking for stylistic differences you wouldn't really find any

Yes... but why even invent an excuse?

Heck if they look exactly the same why not just say that Space Marines can be male or female? Or even just say their armor is co-ed?

I am mostly trying to remember the excuse they made in the first place.
because MANLY MEN and MANLY SPACE KNIGHT TEMPLARDOM and also kinda referencing monastic orders of the past, hence the shaving of the head and indoctrination and all that

official explanation is that the emperor based the geneseed off his primarch's dna who he based off his own genome so he never bothered to change it so that females could be space marines because he had more important things to be doing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: May 19, 2016, 02:17:36 am »

It was probably because of sex.

(Also 40k being the badass insane crapshoot future dreamed up by a bunch of 80s nerds. "But can out space Rambos be girls" probbably didn't feature in the design )
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: May 19, 2016, 02:22:08 am »

No idea if these are in-universe explanations or fansplanations.

However seeing as every Space Wolf looks Russ-y, and every Raven Guard looks like Corax, I'm gonna go with the hormone one. If it's a big enough change to make them even visually similar to their primarch, it'd probably turn females basically male anyway.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:25:19 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: May 19, 2016, 02:45:26 am »

I know the real reason mind you (so they wouldn't have to make female models)

Spoiler: wait wat (click to show/hide)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: May 19, 2016, 02:48:40 am »

Notice how those models are actually 4 models?
That's why.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: May 19, 2016, 03:20:20 am »

It was probably because of sex.
I thought Space Marine dongs were canonically non-functional.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: May 19, 2016, 03:24:03 am »

Canonically non-mentioned.
Hence why the fandom says ken-doll..

Woah I'm leapfrogging this a bit.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: May 19, 2016, 03:55:04 am »

The in universe reason for no female space marines is that women's bodies don't have the right balance of biochemistry to accept the implantation of the different marine organs. Remember that even among males, which it was designed for, the acceptance rate is still very low.

The meta reason is that space marines are loosely based off old christian monastic warrior orders like the Knights Templar, the Knights Hospitallier and so on, and also off various cultures with a mostly male military society, like the Athenians and the Romans.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: May 19, 2016, 06:22:32 am »

Also I recall something about them not really knowing how to make female models back then. Not ones that were aceptable at least.

As for Space Marines penises. Old lore had some of them married/having offpring with normal womans. These children would be normal if memory serves because the sm own dna would still be kindy it's own too(don't know how that work because the process to become a Vaccum Seamen seems like genetherapy heavy). But I could be miss recalling.

It is hotly (pun intended) debated if they even still have penises around. Seeing how little they can serve in battle against aliens, unless you are the captain Kirk, which then is your main weapon.

And even if they have one is debated if they are capable of erections or not, if they are still fertile after all that crap inserted in their bodied, and if they are interested in sex at all because all the conditioning and hypnotoad sessions.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:24:14 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: May 19, 2016, 06:27:15 am »

These children would be normal if memory serves because the sm own dna would still be kindy it's own too(don't know how that work because the process to become a Vaccum Seamen seems like genetherapy heavy).

I read somewhere that their own DNA isn't touched; their Space Marine organs are cloned from their Primarch's. Technically, it isn't really genetic-engineering.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: May 19, 2016, 06:30:05 am »

These children would be normal if memory serves because the sm own dna would still be kindy it's own too(don't know how that work because the process to become a Vaccum Seamen seems like genetherapy heavy).

I read somewhere that their own DNA isn't touched; their Space Marine organs are cloned from their Primarch's. Technically, it isn't really genetic-engineering.

I like to think of it as organic versions of bionic enhancement.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: May 19, 2016, 06:42:01 am »

Bioborgs!

But no, the gene-seed does fuck with a space marine's genes. Hence why their ribcages are plated, and they're eight feet tall.
That stuff wasn't implanted, the body did it on its own.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: May 19, 2016, 06:46:58 am »

Doesn't mean it fucked genes in ALL their cells, germline cells could still have the original DNA.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: May 19, 2016, 06:55:03 am »

Bioborgs!

But no, the gene-seed does fuck with a space marine's genes. Hence why their ribcages are plated, and they're eight feet tall.
That stuff wasn't implanted, the body did it on its own.

That's caused by the Ossmodula, which releases hormones that encourage bone growth and allow the body to absorb ceramite supplements that are added to the diet to strengthen the bones. It's not a change on the genetic level, it's just an effect caused by hormone modification.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: May 19, 2016, 07:21:24 am »

Began reading forges of Mars or something like that, apparently power fist can punch through avatar of Khaine.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 824