Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965321 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10695 on: November 15, 2018, 03:43:02 pm »

They would've lost at Vraks if space marines (4 different chapters of them) hadn't intervened several times to take important locations and defeat important enemies before leaving to do stuff they considered more important*, not to mention the Inquisition and 22 titans by the end of the war. Indeed, prior to the arrival of the titans and some new regiments as part of a reinforcement wave with a new commander in charge the war was lost, the DK already deployed were cut off, being systematically destroyed and generally just knackered.
Half lies, half misdirection. While in fact DK did have a major problem in the middle of the war, it was due to the arrival of very big CSM forces with Chaos Titans of their own. The forces deployed from orbit and have went around the Krieg trenches. Before the traitors received four CSM Warbands and a Traitor Legio of Titans of reinforcements, Krieg was winning the war. Shortly after a relief force arrived with more Korpsmen and regained the initiative. This is like saying "well the enemy suddenly got overwhelming numbers so Krieg of course lost the war if not for, well, more Krieg apparently.

Honestly I would probably have taken the Armageddon Steel Legion over the Death Korps for Vraks, though I do prefer the DK aesthetic their tactics are less than stellar even for their supposed speciality given the gear available. The main weakness the DK assaults had was improper use of armour and slow movement speed, as well as an aversion to actual thinking. The Steel Legion uses Chimeras which are fast and heavily armed with good frontal armour and an enclosed compartment, while the DK prefer Gorgon Transports, which are slower and open topped even if more heavily armoured and able to carry more men at a time. Really an open topped transport is a weird thing in general, especially when you still need a door to deploy from it.
But... Korps also use Chimeras? Heck, their Chimeras are generally upgraded to be better armoured and armed. Sure, they have more reliance on Gorgons, since they are the actually best thing to use in case of trench warfare. I'm not sure about the open-toppness of it, but I hardly see a problem with it. Sure, an artillery shell will kill the dudes inside, but they'd have to be unlucky, and at the same time most would go through armor on top too, and it's not like the doctrine doesn't call for artillery shelling of enemy positions anyway - in which case the enemy artillery is presumably suppressed and unable to shoot back.

A rapid massed mechanised assault of Chimeras and Hellhounds could easily burn out the outer defensive trench lines and better protects the infantry from artillery fire than the gorgon, as well as better able to follow and support disembarked infantry in most terrain. Chimera's are also amphibious vehicles, well suited to function in the muddy terrain of Vraks. I'd probably want some Elysian Drop Troops regiments in a perfect world, but I think Vraks was ill suited to most fliers due to the electrical storms, the DK didn't bring fliers any in any case.
Gorgons also have guns, and they carry a whole lot more guardsmen than Chimeras. The problem here is that while Chimera is really commonplace and cheap, Korpsmen are still vastly cheaper. For the same amount of vehicles you can deliver a higher number of soldiers into enemy trenches, and more soldiers means more flashlight fire to drown out the enemy. DK didin't bring fliers because they are an Imperial Guard regiment. Most Imperial Guard regiments do not own their own fliers (apart from Valkyries and the like, which are more like helicopters in terms of how they're used). Vraks in fact had bunch of aerial combat done by Imperial Navy air force though.

Of course this is a battle where Death Korps regiments tried to retreat. Some even shot their own Commissars for trying to stop the retreat, so I'm not sure any guard force could do it without problems, but I do think some could have made far better progress at it while also being more resistant to the traitor's main arsenal of artillery and massed small arms fire.
Krieg was ordered to retreat and they were shooting Commissars telling them to. Hell, even if they wanted to, they wouldn't be able to, considering the encirclement. A lot of them were still rescued by the relief force consisting of, surprisingly, even more Korpsmen and a bunch of Titans, though traitors had their own.

Granted the DK are somewhat better suited to resist chemical warfare than the Steel Legion, but considering that the chemical weapon that was stockpiled on Vraks literally melted DK soldiers into skeletons through their jackets and respirators I'm not sure being better at it matters much. Liquified is liquified after all.
Not all chemical (and biological, and whatnot) warfare is made equal. The stocks of the chemicals that killed them despite their protection were somewhat limited, and there was a lot more of various nasty stuff that they went through without problem (although it should be noted that for some reason one of Inquisitors that arrived later wanted to use chemical weaponry on Nurgle forces, which was met with reaction along the lines of "haha it tickles").

*Weird thing about Vraks, it's this super important location, holds a vast amount of weapons, distributes them and serves as a collection point other planets send psykers to so they can be held until a Black Ship arrives, and yet Space Marines generally only got involved when the DK had hit a major blockade, like fortified gates they couldn't take after weeks/months or when a chaos marine warband was actually doing stuff. Similarly despite this planet being so important the Sector Command officers kept considering writing it off and pulling out the forces because they were taking years to make any progress. Hell, it took 17 years to capture one city.
Space Marines only got involved when:
1) Alpha Legion was around and Dark Angels apparently had some heretical business to do, so they did, and then did nothing of significance. Sure, they destroyed the star port to deny Vraks reinforcements, but... that happened before the reinforcements actually arrived, and when they did they didn't use any star-port, they just dropped straight to the ground because drop pods are a thing, who could have guessed.
2) Red Scorpions popped up because well, I dunno, maybe their book told them to.
3) Grey Knights and Red Hunters popped up because the war was ending, so they wanted to capture the people responsible after the majority of the work was done by the Krieg, and of course steal the glory. They did have to fight a Bloodthrister, but hey, they only popped up at the very end.
The gate was bombed by bombers (duh) from Imperial Navy. The planet was important, but they didn't consider writing it off, but rather decided to focus more on it to wrap the thing up, and it's not like the reason they were there (unbelievably huge stocks of weapons and ammunition) weren't getting depleted by the war. It took them so long to capture "one city", because the "one city" was in Wh40k scale. It was huge, was heavily fortified, and had stocks of equipment enough for half the Imperial Guard. It also took so long because nobody actually expected Chaos to bring that many forces into the fray, the commander who was winning the war up to that point and got his ass kicked was recalled, but even then he wasn't punished for it because nobody actually expected this form of resistance.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10696 on: November 15, 2018, 04:34:06 pm »

The Alpha Legion didn't show up until 7 years into the war and the other Chaos Space Marines and pirates a further 2 years after that. In that time the DK hadn't even reached the actual walls, their campaign was well behind schedule at the time.

Gorgons struggle with close fire support, their standard weapons are four mortars and two twin-linked heavy stubbers. Their gimmick is being slow and weak but filled with goons. I would rather have 30 men in 3 chimeras that are faster and better armed by default than 40 or 50 men in a gorgon that struggles to outpace an elderly lady. The Korps don't use chimeras much, and didn't have any mechanised regiments at Vraks, just infantry, siege, tank and artillery ones, which are all light on chimeras.

Plenty of guard have airborne forces that belong to the regiment, Valkyries and Vendettas are the main ones, but the DK just don't factor them into their tactical considerations. It's something of a common rivalry in the novels, lots of regiments seem to dislike aircraft and drop-troopers. I'm not even sure the DK have airborne regiments or mechanised regiments come to think of it, not all planets form all kinds of forces.

The commander was only not punished due to rank, his subordinates were mostly assigned to penal legions.

As the artillery fire hammered down it caused the utter collapse of the 158th regiment's attack in sector 50-45. The Commissars amongst the retreating assault squads demanded that the men stand firm and push on, summarily executing the first men to take any steps backwards. In return, several Commissars were shot out of hand by their own side as the shredded assault companies scurried back to the safety of their own trenches.

Kriegsmen shot their Commissars for telling them not to run when they broke under artillery fire on the first day of the assault.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10697 on: November 15, 2018, 05:57:18 pm »

I honestly think Lorgar is my favourite character in all of 40k. This one dude wrote the holy book for the Imperium AND Chaos lmao

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: November 15, 2018, 06:08:50 pm »

I honestly think Lorgar is my favourite character in all of 40k. This one dude wrote the holy book for the Imperium AND Chaos lmao

You ever read the Night Lords books? Talos is solid for a murderous, disillusioned sociopath.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: November 15, 2018, 06:14:04 pm »

You ever read the Night Lords books? Talos is solid for a murderous, disillusioned sociopath.

Sure, but this is 40k; you could say the same of your average houseplant.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: November 15, 2018, 08:24:13 pm »

Aircraft is really limited  when it comes to the IG. In that they get generaly 0 unless is something like the Drop Troops or perhaps officer transports. Aircraft belong to the IN.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10701 on: November 15, 2018, 08:51:38 pm »

The Alpha Legion didn't show up until 7 years into the war and the other Chaos Space Marines and pirates a further 2 years after that. In that time the DK hadn't even reached the actual walls, their campaign was well behind schedule at the time.
"Actual walls". Vraks was circled by bunch (three, IIRC) of defensive lines, each of them making French ashamed of Maginot. By the time Chaos dropped they got through two (the second being on the outskirts of the place already) of those, and really, each next line (without Chaotic help) would be easier, since there was only less and less enemy artillery and defenses piled up the further you went. Sure, it may have took longer than Munitorium expected, but those kinds of things happen.

Gorgons struggle with close fire support, their standard weapons are four mortars and two twin-linked heavy stubbers. Their gimmick is being slow and weak but filled with goons. I would rather have 30 men in 3 chimeras that are faster and better armed by default than 40 or 50 men in a gorgon that struggles to outpace an elderly lady. The Korps don't use chimeras much, and didn't have any mechanised regiments at Vraks, just infantry, siege, tank and artillery ones, which are all light on chimeras.
You can have 12 dudes in one Chimera or 50 in one Gorgon. Presumably Gorgon is cheaper than equivalent amount of carrying capability in Chimeras. Also, I wasn't even aware, but Gorgon is amphibious too. LCVPs anyone?

Plenty of guard have airborne forces that belong to the regiment, Valkyries and Vendettas are the main ones, but the DK just don't factor them into their tactical considerations. It's something of a common rivalry in the novels, lots of regiments seem to dislike aircraft and drop-troopers. I'm not even sure the DK have airborne regiments or mechanised regiments come to think of it, not all planets form all kinds of forces.
In most cases even Valkyries are considered inherently Navy thing. Sure, they work together with them, but complaining that Imperial Guard regiment didn't bring any fliers with them is like complaining why don't they have Space Marines in their ranks. Not the same branch, not their responsibility, not their thing. And again, there was a significant presence of Imperial Navy fliers at Vraks.

The commander was only not punished due to rank, his subordinates were mostly assigned to penal legions.
Sounds like a promotion for a Korpsman.

As the artillery fire hammered down it caused the utter collapse of the 158th regiment's attack in sector 50-45. The Commissars amongst the retreating assault squads demanded that the men stand firm and push on, summarily executing the first men to take any steps backwards. In return, several Commissars were shot out of hand by their own side as the shredded assault companies scurried back to the safety of their own trenches.

Kriegsmen shot their Commissars for telling them not to run when they broke under artillery fire on the first day of the assault.
Now that's an interesting quote, I have found it and I think that's somewhat weird. The rest of all sources goes on how Kriegers fighting to death, and generally the usual stuff, and then there's this one case when they did the opposite, and that's not even during the actually hard period, way before "green hell", daemons, chemical warfare, Chaos Space Marines and the rest of that. Curious.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: November 16, 2018, 06:45:27 am »

Clearly those korpsmen decided to retreat because the fighting wasnt as intense as they were told it would be and they had to go lodge a complaint with regimental command.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10703 on: November 16, 2018, 06:59:36 am »

Clearly those korpsmen decided to retreat because the fighting wasnt as intense as they were told it would be and they had to go lodge a complaint with regimental command.
The munistorum were unironically withdrawing them to fight on other planets. So the Korpsmen were told:
1. To attack an Imperial Fortress with the highest concentration of ammunition outside of Armageddon or a Forge World.
2. To conduct the attack with only 30 regiments.
3. To retake Vraks with a deadline of 12 years.
4. To conduct such a campaign whilst their existing strength was redeployed to other planets.
It's honestly a testament to the korpsmen that they made any progress at all

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: November 16, 2018, 07:24:06 am »

Sometimes I think, that kot is secret forgeworld internet marketing agent, he makes you want to buy deathkorps guys.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10705 on: November 16, 2018, 07:25:40 am »

I think Kot likes them because Korps cavalry remind him of winged hussars with shovels

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: November 16, 2018, 09:48:54 am »

"Send more Necrons, the heretics are too easy."
-Korpsman Colonel Maximillian Brutus Fightmaster the third
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: November 16, 2018, 10:00:50 am »

The outer defensive lines were more comparable to German WW1 trenches to my understanding, fortified trenches with bunkers and artillery support, as opposed to a Maginot style field of heavy fortifications, armoured gun emplacements, mobility restricting obstacles and such. Gorgons could drive right up to the first trench lines after all, which would have been pretty difficult if there were proper tank traps and similar there.

Things is there's plenty of things the DK did wrong on Vraks, some tactical and some just issues with poor equipment choices for the assault.

Holding tanks in reserve until breaches were already made in the outer trenches rather than bringing armour that could help suppress trenches with machine gun fire or explosives or burn them out with flamers is a pretty poor idea, a few close quarters armed Leman Russ tanks or Hellhounds coming up in the cover of the Gorgons could have incinerated whole trenches in minutes rather than forcing the DK to clear them by hand and face the heavy numbers of defenders and close quarters heavy units the DK lacked but the traitor's had in spades.

Poor communications equipment is another issue, they didn't even issue their elite grenadier units anything better than a squad vox unit, which was why they were so reluctant to try more complex assault plans, if they'd issued some of their elites with microbeads, even just the sergeants, they could have coordinated nighttime assaults easily for all the trench assaults rather than considering it too difficult to try.

They also sent tons of Kriegsmen fresh out of training, they'd never seen any planets other than Krieg and had no real combat experience and were just thrown into a battle on alien terrain in incredibly hostile conditions they had never encountered. Sending a force from multiple worlds that were all experienced in actual combat would probably have been a better use of men than selecting all of them from one world if that force requires new recruits to bulk it out. Vraks was not a good place to get your first live fighting experience.

Air support does not seem to have been present at Vraks from what I can find, and the original army list for the DK didn't have access to any fliers (though at the time they were all classed as skimmers anyway, but it was still a major distinction between them and normal IG.) Granted this may have been due to the insane weather storms on Vraks making heavy use of fliers difficult, but the traitors still managed to use the odd thing like Arvus Lighters to ferry troops around, so I think it's more just that Kriegers don't care for air support due to their military traditions.

Most of this stuff can be blamed on Commander Zuehlke, his command staff and the Munitorum more than the field commanders, but I still feel the reason Vraks took so long and became such a mess was because the DK weren't actually the best choice for the assault, they aren't great with using mechanised and armoured forces, lack speed and are defined by squandering resources in futile assaults due to their penitence complex (an actual part of their regimental summary, they're Chenkov: The Faction.) In a war where time and available manpower isn't a factor those are fine, but when you have a set timeline to finish things in and only so many military assets to spare you need a regiment with a bit more speed and coordination to minimise losses relative to progress in taking the objective. Cadian/Steel Legion style mechanised regiments supported by rapid armoured assaults could have negated the advantages of the outer static defences in much the same way trench warfare was largely supplanted by tank warfare in the real world.

Weird thing is that there is an area I really think Kriegsmen are making better use of assets than others and it's in their cavalry forces. Most Rough Riders steed's are only barely improved over the basic Terran horse, the Kriegsmen grow theirs in vats and engineered them to be much tougher than normal, able to eat more food and breathe most atmospheres and then give their riders heavy armour. Death Riders are to Rough Riders what Stormtroopers are to Guardsmen, but they still use them primarily for scouting.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10708 on: November 16, 2018, 10:40:15 am »

'As the nerve centre of the Armoury, the Citadel's defences have been constantly upgraded. Within the Departmento Munitoum it is now believed that Vraks is an impregnable fortress. Its walls are protected from orbital bombardment by void shield generators. It has an extensive curtain wall protecting it from direct assault. It is surrounded by a large network of defence laser batteries, making an assault from orbit suicidal for any star ship. These lasers can also be used against ground targets, and all approaches to the Citadel are covered by interlocking fields of fire. Three defence rings run for miles out into the wastes. These protect the storage bunkers from raiders and include trenches, defence lines, bunkers and strong points as well as pre-prepared artillery positions. The defence lines are further protected by lines of razorwire, tank traps and thousands of minefields. No army could assault Vraks and expect anything but deadlock and eventual annihilation.' - IA vol5 p.7

No army could assault Vraks and expect anything but deadlock and eventual annihilation.
Deathkorps: Hold my amasec

It's worth noting that the Imperial Navy offered a 100% solution to retaking Vraks, with a blockade and gradual disintegration of Vraks' defences, their estimated mission completion time was 500 years. That is the most Imperial Navy thing they could have suggested. The Munistorum did the calculations and figured it would be much cheaper in time and manpower to just accept massive casualties in a land assault. That the DK managed to break the first defence lines and drive their gorgons through does not speak to any weakness in the first line, it speaks to the DK's willingness to clear as many of the minefields, bunkers and tank traps with artillery first, engineers second and lives third in their assaults

You can find the pdfs in an archived /tg/ thread which is rather helpful

*EDIT
Also regarding fresh Krieg troops, Kriegers are tough little anonymous soldiers, even a new Krieg recruit is an extremely well-trained death worlder. If any recruits would do better in a war of attrition it'd be them
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:43:21 am by Loud Whispers »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: November 16, 2018, 11:50:29 am »

So if Big E was the result of practically every shaman psyker merging, and we can assume that the average shaman is 'modestly' to 'Black Ship hunts you down when because they feel the backlash of your birth' powerful, how did E get even strong enough to imprison the Void Dragon when he did?  He was just a sexy, sexy balt then with a modest warband, right?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 824