Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 375139 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3166 on: June 09, 2020, 03:45:08 pm »

I'd hire you as a mercenary Egan but only if you showed up in those cat ears

I made a visualisation

I'd hire that. Branding is important.

Okay, but I don't actually own those so you have to pay for them and also buy me a sword because I don't own any weapons.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: June 09, 2020, 03:50:22 pm »

I made a visualisation

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Okay, but I don't actually own those so you have to pay for them and also buy me a sword because I don't own any weapons.

Ok but what if all the agents in the Matrix had anime cat ears. It would be both a very different movie and also a depressingly-more-accurate depiction of what a human simulation prison would probably look like in the modern world.

Robots would be like "ok so the ideal human environment is.... *checks internet*"

... D:
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: June 09, 2020, 04:06:51 pm »

K.A. Applegate (The animorphs lady) had another series that was basically that.  Earth got blown up by a meteor and the colony ship they slapped together to try to save humanity landed on a giant ship controlled by an omnipotent AI which could control the environment on the ship and tried to build them an appropriate environment based on flawed understanding of the cultural archives on the colony ship which were mostly various artworks.  So weird impressionist landscapes, other bizarre stuff, the Garden of Earthly Delights at one point.

Pretty good series as I remember, KA Applegate is what Rowling wishes she was.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: June 09, 2020, 04:17:06 pm »

I made a visualisation

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok but what if all the agents in the Matrix had anime cat ears. It would be both a very different movie and also a depressingly-more-accurate depiction of what a human simulation prison would probably look like in the modern world.

Robots would be like "ok so the ideal human environment is.... *checks internet*"

... D:

Remember hookerbots?
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: June 09, 2020, 06:37:41 pm »

Anyone know why idiots keep suggesting stupid shit like "make cops murdering people illegal" and "ban use of violence that's also already illegal" still have any followers? Or why they don't at least go so far as to say "also ban committing literal war crimes against civilians, and we mean it this time"? I guess a few did say they'd bad all uses of CS gas, unless they are determined to be necessary by officers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: June 09, 2020, 06:47:12 pm »

They need to do something with some fucking teeth.  How about this instead?

When there is a complaint against a police officer, it is NOT to be deferred to "Internal Affairs."  It is to be investigated immediately by a federal agency, and punishment will be remanded to that agency. Departments in violation of this new rule will be summarily suspended of all operations until a full investigation and resolution of the cause of such failure is performed. 

Internal Affairs is for when somebody makes an offensive joke at work, breaks a vending machine, routinely parks in the wrong stall at the HQ, etc...  NOT for when police officers are accused of mother fucking murder.

Remove the IA crutch, and make punishments stick.  Things will improve quickly.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: June 09, 2020, 07:00:32 pm »

And they’ll call that agency...External Affairs
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: June 09, 2020, 07:05:07 pm »

Ya honestly, an outside agency that officers are accountable for would work wonder in and of itself.

Would be a great start.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: June 09, 2020, 08:16:34 pm »

They need to do something with some fucking teeth.  How about this instead?

When there is a complaint against a police officer, it is NOT to be deferred to "Internal Affairs."  It is to be investigated immediately by a federal agency, and punishment will be remanded to that agency.

Yeah that's a good start, but also have you heard of regulatory capture? And the people in charge not wanting systems to work?

The problem is that, every step of the way, the laws and methods of policing are intended to be used with inequality, mostly because the ruling class are fucking terrible.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: June 10, 2020, 01:33:44 am »

The show 'COPS' finally cancelled. So it has come to this. Happy now, protestors? ;)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/cops-tv-show-canceled_n_5ee0126ec5b683b5ef6ef125

Yeah I'm kidding btw. Not a fan of the show

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: June 10, 2020, 02:00:14 am »

I watched it as a kid with the family. Found it pretty boring.

Mostly just chasing black people down with poor camera work.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: June 10, 2020, 02:20:48 am »

I'm not a fan either, but I definitely understand the draw of the show. Like literally the draw, like a car crash, it draws you in. I don't like it on a moral basis. But if it came on after a show I was watching, I would start gawking. And then I would feel guilty about it ;)

Glad to see it's gone. Being shit to poor people for the entertainment of the middle classes is double shit.

Don't bleat the camera work though Kai. Judging by the last 10-16 years of action movies, they were like 15 years before their time what with the shaky-cam and not being able to tell what's going on.
Love, scriver~

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: June 10, 2020, 02:36:55 am »

So, not only have protesters in Seattle pushed police out of a 6 block radius and barricaded the perimeter, protesters have now taken City Hall as well.

Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone:
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/seattle-autonomous-zone-protests/

City Hall:
https://twitter.com/AGarlandPhoto/status/1270565427219841024
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: June 10, 2020, 04:01:33 am »

Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone:
I don't remember this level of Sonic
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 292