Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 89

Author Topic: Mission 18: The final sunset  (Read 170784 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 18: The definition of Insanity.
« Reply #795 on: January 09, 2015, 08:01:39 pm »

((EDIT: Arghhh just remembered that the razor is also unconventional... oh well.))
Tek realized something: he had no idea how to use this manipulator thingy!  This entire time he had just been pushing random buttons. 

It was true that he had some successes before (mainly due to the fact that he didn't understand that he didn't understand it, and thus understood it), but it seemed his illogic was catching up with him.

In light of this, Tek decided to carve some stairs into the mound with his razor.  He would carve out one step (the topmost), step onto it, and then carve the next one and step onto that, and repeat until he was at the bottom.

ooooo look an action using uncon that wasn't crossed out!

[1-1]

Everything went better then expected.

You whip out your monorazor! In the act of whipping it out, you succeed at slicing off your left arm just below the elbow. You scream in surprised agony and double over. As you bend over you swing your arm and hack straight through your right shin, cutting through at least 80% of the leg. You scream even more, releasing your grip on the blade. The razor, now without anyone steadying it, slices raggedly through the rest of the leg and then falls to the ground. The vibrating wire catches the sand and sprays it up into both of your open wounds.

"AAAHRAGHHAHFUAKCKINGAAAAA"

"Dubs, do not use laser. May anger spirits of earth, agitate artifacts, hurt you, me or early brain death people. May not work in the first place. Have alternative plans. Will listen?"

Step (or climb) away from Dubley's impending laser bonanza.

If he starts cutting with his laser, step away further.

If his efforts fail or he opts to not cut with the laser, see if I can't get through the glass with these methods:

1. with my own mundane tools (such as using an awl plus a hammer to try and chisel through the layer carefully, or a crowbar in a similar manner as a pickaxe).
2. if the first method doesn't work, try it by pointing the civilian gauss sniper rifle to the ground vertically to fire off a penetrating shot, though it'd have to be Dubley who does the firing in this event due to his greater familiarity with firearm safety.

Also, check if Steve has the location of this place recorded for potential later utility.

"Fine. No laser."

Pick up the broken piece of my pickaxe. Gonna have to get this repaired.
Is the pickaxe double sided? if so I could probably mine with the other side.
Otherwise follow Chief's plan.

Dubley takes the Pick and flips it to the other side before planting his feet in a wide stance. After a few practice swings he brings down a full blow on the rock shell, punching straight through it in one blow. The instant it's open the area around the hole starts to visibly ice over with frozen oxygen and nitrogen.

Run away! But stay within site of teammates and eater "Other than sanding it, which most of us can't do, how are we able to restrain it?"
Fuck if I know, but if we're in the path of (what is probably) a fireball that's so fucking big we can see it from space, we have to do something! Inaction is death! Will the Eater follow commands?

Can Steve give us a reading on the giant sky-ball, determine what it is...or determine a projected impact point? Maybe this is how we kill it, when the "Sun" is directly overhead it'll crash down! Try to get the Eater to follow me without using violence!
It appears to be somewhere in the upper atmosphere, but it's hard to monitor. It seems to, judging by thermals, be traveling around the continent, specifically the desert area in wide circles, as though searching for something.

Is....is it a giant space fireball?
((Ladies, gentlemen, members of ARM, we may be witnessing the true meaning of Inferno Mode.))

"Can't sand the guy if I'm roasted, can I?"

Try sanding Samboefreet again.

You leap up and run over toward the Eater, getting as close as you can before things get too hot, even through the suit.  You close your eyes and focus, moving your hands to mimic the actions you're taking with your mind. You grab wads of sand, several hundred pounds at a time, and start slamming them into the Eater and holding them in place, building a ball around the creature. The sand begins to melt and form glass almost immediately, but the eater is still leaking out, the tongues of flame punching through and solidifying into spidery legs which seem to be made of pure, white heat. They move slowly, gracefully, each one at least 10 meters long, attempting to find footing in the sand. You can feel the thing trying to tear itself free, trying to push itself up into the air. The noise it's making is cycling between inaudible lows and inaudible highs, which the audible center being loud enough to make your ears and eyes bleed from the sheer vibration bursting the capillaries.

And everyone else is still running away.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 09, 2015, 09:10:05 pm »

run and continue to do so
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #797 on: January 09, 2015, 09:11:49 pm »

Continue bailing.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:22 pm »

"Anyone have anything to the likes of a fan? We need to help keep the eater within this glass!" Stay far enough away from the eater so that if it causes an explosion of molten glass I might have time to protect my vitals, but close enough that I might help sand it if I acquire the right tools "I'm taking your lead Gorat, but if you get us killed, so help me space Jesus I will haunt you for the rest of the afterlife" Also check to see if there is anything on the heat gun that would up how much hot air it pushes and see if I can use that to blow sand in the eaters direction but DO NOT BE THE CLOSEST PERSON TO THE EATER
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:45:18 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 10, 2015, 02:37:55 am »

"hmm. Interesting."

Back away from the hole and observe what happens.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 10, 2015, 02:56:59 am »

Honestly? I think we're just pissing it off. In any case, though, good job Gorat. Hopefully when the sun breaks we'll be able to lead the Eater on towards the objective.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 10, 2015, 04:27:31 am »

"hmm. Interesting."

"Agreed."

Back away as well. Observe the icing effect - does it appear at the edges, or is the entire hole just filling out?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 10, 2015, 07:40:13 am »

Stasis button time. Or running time if for some reason the stasis suit won't do.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Nunzillor

« Reply #803 on: January 10, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »

"010001100101010101000011010010110010000100100001. DAMNRAZORCOMBDAMNIT!"

Cauterize the wounds with the MFM!  This can only go well!
EDIT: push the damn buttons with his tongue if he needs to.  Just do it!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:59:17 am by Nunzillor »

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 10, 2015, 03:13:37 pm »

Try to stay safe, though "safe" is a very relative word.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 11, 2015, 05:35:19 pm »

Get anyone within the presumed danger radius into the safer area: with 'safer' meaning 'with the baseline at a radius the same distance as most of the people'. Head back if needed.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #806 on: January 11, 2015, 05:58:25 pm »

Make notes from a "safe" distance.

((Although, what we perceive to be a "safe" distance could quickly turn into a ‼FUN‼ distance.))
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #807 on: January 12, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »

"010001100101010101000011010010110010000100100001. DAMNRAZORCOMBDAMNIT!"

Cauterize the wounds with the MFM!  This can only go well!
EDIT: push the damn buttons with his tongue if he needs to.  Just do it!

[1]
oh dear. And that bonus didn't kick in. And you're still a transhuman, which boosts exo,not uncon. Hmm. You did roll well on end though...

Good news: you did end up cauterizing the wounds, though only as an incidental effect.

Bad news: You are now on fire.

Inside your suit.

Ah Tek, I can tell you're gonna have a great career around here. Possibly short, but great.

"hmm. Interesting."

Back away from the hole and observe what happens.
"hmm. Interesting."

"Agreed."

Back away as well. Observe the icing effect - does it appear at the edges, or is the entire hole just filling out?
The cold effect appears to be flowing out of the hole, icing over the edges and sand around it. It's slowly starting to build ice up over the hole as well; it's only a matter of time before it seals itself.

Stasis button time. Or running time if for some reason the stasis suit won't do.

Your stasis button  time is still set to like 1 minute, I'll remind you. Might want to adjust that real fast.

"Anyone have anything to the likes of a fan? We need to help keep the eater within this glass!" Stay far enough away from the eater so that if it causes an explosion of molten glass I might have time to protect my vitals, but close enough that I might help sand it if I acquire the right tools "I'm taking your lead Gorat, but if you get us killed, so help me space Jesus I will haunt you for the rest of the afterlife" Also check to see if there is anything on the heat gun that would up how much hot air it pushes and see if I can use that to blow sand in the eaters direction but DO NOT BE THE CLOSEST PERSON TO THE EATER
I suppose you could hook it up to the suit's power and drain that to overpower the heat gun. Would probably destroy the heat gun in the long run, more then likely damage the suit too, but it's something.

MORE RUNNING COMMANDS

We'll assume you all just keep running.

Now, we're at a sort of impasse here because Our one useful person is attempting to stasis out, meaning that this thing should just go free any second. However, he has to adjust his suit this round so we're kinda in timeline limbo.

We're about 30 minutes from sunrise so...Plan around that.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 12, 2015, 05:29:44 pm »

((The one time I played with the dial, I undid it again, and before that, you said "over an hour". So unless the suit is even stranger than expected, it should still be in the hour range.))

Stasis out for the hour that the suit should still be set to.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 12, 2015, 05:33:31 pm »

"Hm. Dubs, make sure there is way out at all times. I will check inside."

Put the hand in the hole. Does it start to feel cold inside the suit?

If not, try to descend into hole if the inside isn't full of ice.

If yes, and the hole isn't entirely filled with ice, try putting the light plus camera probe in there and surveying the inside.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 89