Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 448237 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1770 on: March 12, 2020, 05:07:59 pm »

Today I found that you could use flood-type selection (like rooms) for meeting areas instead of just making a rectangle and cutting up corners.

Also I figured there was something like that, but I never used the restriction on what type of orders workshops accept. It's kind of bothersome when you order some stone crafts made and the craftsdwarf worskhops that are linked to your bone/skull/ivory/etc. stockpile try to do those.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: March 15, 2020, 05:28:56 pm »

When a squad leader completes a demonstration, it fulfills the "help somebody" need. Someone might want to add that one to the wiki.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: March 15, 2020, 07:45:24 pm »

If a little red "C" appears near the upper left hand corner of the map border, it means that combat is ongoing somewhere on the map.

Edit: and a blue "S" indicates sparring somewhere on the map.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:09:05 pm by Huntthetroll »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 15, 2020, 08:18:35 pm »

If a little red "C" appears near the upper left hand corner of the map border, it means that combat is ongoing somewhere on the map.

Edit: and a blue "S" indicates sparring somewhere on the map.
An "H" indicates hunting action.

Hit "r" to see the reports. Hit enter on a given report to see more details.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:34:46 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: March 15, 2020, 08:36:21 pm »

S and M are spoils and missions from raids. I think a lot of new players misunderstand that, since 'r' is the button to press, but C is usually the first to appear.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: March 15, 2020, 10:43:08 pm »

I think there's one for interrogations, too. Probably "I" or something.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 17, 2020, 02:44:05 pm »

By raiding tower I turned some of my dwarves into necromancers via slab. When fights had broke, they raised bodies, mostly into inteligent undead.
First: Dorfs don't care who they raise and since inteligent undead keep their sides, it leads to killing and raising same entity over and over. For instance cyclop who attacked my fort is listed across five dorfs over twenty times total.
Second:As long as they don't raise anyone as vanilla zombie, there is no loyalty cascade. It didn't last long though.
Third: IntDead cannot be assigned to military or jobs. They continue job assignments before upgrade though. Don't know about military.
Fourth: If IntDead is killed with decapitation his head will be raised as undead, but the body might be raised as IntDead once again. If so however, they will lose their identities and be consider as friendly "others".

basedbeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 17, 2020, 03:33:04 pm »

Third: IntDead cannot be assigned to military or jobs. They continue job assignments before upgrade though. Don't know about military

My fort is full of intelligent undead citizens who were citizens in their first life. In my experience they re-petition for citizenship pretty quickly and can then be fully worked/militarized. I did a whole write-up on my undead fort if you're interested.

To add my own trivial finding, my intelligent undead militia commander shot up (literally) 15 levels in wrestling and fighting in the space of a minute. She was alone and got webbed by a giant cave spider who proceeded to gnaw on her head until reinforcements arrived. IntDead are fucking TOUGH, but full iron armor probably didn't hurt. She survived and got sewed up, and her most recent thoughts are "Didn't feel anything after improving/mastering wrestling/fighting." I guess fending off a GCS with headbutts is good exercise.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:34:48 pm by basedbeans »

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 17, 2020, 04:28:13 pm »

Third: IntDead cannot be assigned to military or jobs. They continue job assignments before upgrade though. Don't know about military

My fort is full of intelligent undead citizens who were citizens in their first life. In my experience they re-petition for citizenship pretty quickly and can then be fully worked/militarized. I did a whole write-up on my undead fort if you're interested.

To add my own trivial finding, my intelligent undead militia commander shot up (literally) 15 levels in wrestling and fighting in the space of a minute. She was alone and got webbed by a giant cave spider who proceeded to gnaw on her head until reinforcements arrived. IntDead are fucking TOUGH, but full iron armor probably didn't hurt. She survived and got sewed up, and her most recent thoughts are "Didn't feel anything after improving/mastering wrestling/fighting." I guess fending off a GCS with headbutts is good exercise.

I have read your post. Entertaining, to say at least.
Mine didn't petitioned after year or so and I have no idea why.
To add yet another thing - throats cannot be mended. The last IntDead in my fort got strike into throat and he started bleeding. He cannot die, but surgeries don't help. From 1st Malachite to 14th Galena he has about 40 "Bleeding stopped" in his medical history for each day.
He doesn't seem to bleed anything though. There is some spattering on him, but you would think that bed and surgeons should be covered in his blood. Not sure if this bug.

basedbeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 17, 2020, 04:43:48 pm »

I have read your post. Entertaining, to say at least.
Mine didn't petitioned after year or so and I have no idea why.
To add yet another thing - throats cannot be mended. The last IntDead in my fort got strike into throat and he started bleeding. He cannot die, but surgeries don't help. From 1st Malachite to 14th Galena he has about 40 "Bleeding stopped" in his medical history for each day.
He doesn't seem to bleed anything though. There is some spattering on him, but you would think that bed and surgeons should be covered in his blood. Not sure if this bug.

I'm not sure what determines time to petition. After a drown/rez batch I'll have some petition within RT minutes and others a year later. Might require some science.

Now the part about bleeding is very interesting. My CMD has gone through a mountain of thread stitching up IntDead, I'll have to check on their necks. Otherwise, I don't think I've noticed them bleeding at all, so I wonder if your IntDead has a severed, empty jugular. Otherwise we'd have limitless vamp food!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 17, 2020, 06:33:05 pm »

Please do tell.

EDIT: I found it, how interesting
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:07:51 pm by TheFlame52 »

basedbeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 19, 2020, 05:11:14 pm »

Not to flood this thread with intelligent undead minutiae, but this is a weird one.

Intelligent undead adults are totally unable to gain Focus (that is, reverse being Badly Distracted) because they can never fulfill needs, despite being able to meet them. The absolute best need-thought they can have is "Urist McDwarf was not distracted after..."

eg they can (and have) pray for a month straight but they'll always be "Badly distracted after being unable to pray..."

Intelligent undead children, on the other hand, seem totally unable to lose Focus. The worst need-thought they can have is "Urist McDwarf Jr. was not distracted after..."

I am shamelessly using Therapist to enable labors on my undead children (they'll never age into adults) so one day I'll have a immortal, 30 year old, legendary weaponsmith who is also a child. Well, I assume he'll stay a child.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 20, 2020, 06:00:48 pm »

I found a way to get specific seeds out of bags. without dumping them. In my current fort I tried using a pedestal and putting the seeds "on display". It works quite nicely and my dwarfs get good thoughts from completing the job. However unlike a dump order it only generates haul orders one at a time. Still that could be a plus.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 22, 2020, 02:45:44 pm »

EDIT2:Never mind
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 03:22:04 pm by Lorn Asbord Schutta »

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 26, 2020, 01:58:25 pm »

This one has shades of both "Wow, I'm stupid" and "I wish this was easier to figure out." Creating a meeting area and assigning it a guildhall location is not enough to satisfy a guildhall petition. The area must have a total value of at least 2000☼ to be considered a proper guildhall (although this threshold can be changed by altering one of DF's configuration files). It took me two abandoned petitions and almost four in-game years to figure this out.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 148