Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 446188 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1020 on: January 03, 2017, 11:04:32 pm »

can't really choose the music available to you

I think the easiest (only) way to influence it is to have adventurers visit your fortress.  If you perform, then people will generally join in and they will get skill in that song.  One thing I want to try (but haven't had a chance yet) is to have an adventurer write a whack of songs for certain instruments and then retire in the fortress.  If they hang around in the tavern enough, it *should* influence what is being played.

One thing I've definitely noticed, though, is that travelling bards perform *far* more often than in house performers.  So to make it work, you might have to make it a citizen/resident only tavern.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 04, 2017, 08:41:22 pm »

My population just went from 4. to 134. How? Well. I reclaimed a fort that had greater fire imps(those things in Fortress Defense, might be wrong name), who were apparently already reclaiming it. After reclaiming it, and killing some of the imps, I retired it. I unretired it, went to others in the unit list to see if there were any imps. weren't any, so I went to citizen, and discovered 130 fire imps on my side. Now I have a mayor. Considering that I had 4 dwarves, and dwarvish civs were dead, this is good. Haven't tested to make sure they'll do jobs.
Hm. Interesting - Did you succumb to invasion when greater fire imps were sieging it?

Could be interesting way to get troll or ogre citizens - get them to siege you, succumb, reclaim, retire, unretire. Ogres may be short-lived (20-30 old age) slow learners, but they're over twice as large as elephant man.

Did your civilization remain the same? Do imps and dwarves have different groups of allegiance?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 04, 2017, 11:39:58 pm »

Necro Towers can be made in evil biomes, but presumably as a last result.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 05, 2017, 08:23:17 pm »

I'm imagining necromancers fighting the biome for control over their zombies.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 05, 2017, 08:38:41 pm »

Dunno if anyone else said it, but you can actually see the bucket for a well lowering into the water source if there's a few Z's between it and the water.

For some reason, I felt like I was totally mindblown by this.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 05, 2017, 08:45:01 pm »

Oh yeah. If you have multiple stacked wells, then when bucket and chain/rope overlap the bucket will be displayed.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 06, 2017, 04:03:29 pm »

My population just went from 4. to 134. How? Well. I reclaimed a fort that had greater fire imps(those things in Fortress Defense, might be wrong name), who were apparently already reclaiming it. After reclaiming it, and killing some of the imps, I retired it. I unretired it, went to others in the unit list to see if there were any imps. weren't any, so I went to citizen, and discovered 130 fire imps on my side. Now I have a mayor. Considering that I had 4 dwarves, and dwarvish civs were dead, this is good. Haven't tested to make sure they'll do jobs.
Hm. Interesting - Did you succumb to invasion when greater fire imps were sieging it?

Could be interesting way to get troll or ogre citizens - get them to siege you, succumb, reclaim, retire, unretire. Ogres may be short-lived (20-30 old age) slow learners, but they're over twice as large as elephant man.

Did your civilization remain the same? Do imps and dwarves have different groups of allegiance?
They didn't siege my fort. It wasn't my fort. I retired a different fort, went to legends, noticed that fire imps had recently reclaimed a fort, went to fort mode, noticed I could reclaim the same fort, Fought some of the imps, retired, unretired, and suddenly I had a lot of fire imps.
I didn't check the civ, but I'm fairly certain all of us are in the dwarven civ, which by the way, was dead. I haven't checked the imps, but I'm fairly certain they have allegiance with us. Guess I should check their info to see what it says. Interesting though, huh?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 06, 2017, 05:30:36 pm »

If a non-leader is in a battle, but has journey pets, those journey pets will take part in the battle.

Possibly better phrasing: If a historical figure is in a battle, their journey pets take part regardless of whether the historical figure is leading or not.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 06, 2017, 11:28:49 pm »

Places with 100 or close to 100 drainage will be practically guaranteed to have glaciers, if they are cold enough.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 07, 2017, 09:45:23 am »

As revealed by GM editor, trolls literally have so much fat that they will never typically starve.

Trolls also store fat on their skulls separately.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: January 07, 2017, 10:51:11 am »

I recall a group of dwarfs passing out from exhaustion while trying to kill a troll with fists.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 07, 2017, 05:17:17 pm »

I just discovered something small...but amazingly useful (for me, at least).

When forging an adamantine breastplate, I pressed the "d"etails screen, and discovered that it allows me to change what creature it is sized for!  I could make adamantine/steel armor for my human adventurers.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: January 07, 2017, 07:32:25 pm »

Melee dwarves can kill pond grabbers from above.
Though retrieving the corpses is still a problem.

Oh, and some details in some report:

The cave crocodile vomits.
The vomit disappears into the water.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:40:01 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 08, 2017, 07:37:29 am »

I recall a group of dwarfs passing out from exhaustion while trying to kill a troll with fists.

1000 degree artifact knife vs troll skull - how much fat would sizzle off?

Mmm, (blue) troll lard butter

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 08, 2017, 07:53:22 pm »

Cave-in also destroys smoothed stone floors.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 148