Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441155 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #795 on: March 04, 2016, 12:06:17 am »

So... Now that Starbound is almost finished (yes really, we are on the final few pieces)

What do you think about it?
With you on that... i have the feeling it went spore-style, massive hype building up, promises etc etc and then failed to deliver....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 04, 2016, 01:45:22 am »

So... Now that Starbound is almost finished (yes really, we are on the final few pieces)

If the next update is going to have as many good changes as the one brewing now (compared to current Stable), the game will surpass Terraria in the "interesting to play" category. Early progression is already very nice in the Nightly, and the survival elements are nicely done. Even the matter of food rotting and occupying individual cells in the inventory, regardless of how problematic it is for mass farming, adds something good to the previously bland exploration process, because now you have to ration yourself some food before you go out, and you need to balance the inventory space you reserve for food, with space you're going to need for any loot that isn't minerals, furniture, or pixels.

Flags being universal teleport receptors, though... might be a bit much. I mean. Sure you can't beam out from a flag unless you make it to the surface, and cheap "beam me here" markers are highly useful, but it'd make a lot more sense if they only worked on the surface, or at least only from the ship while it's in orbit of the planet in question. Who needs teleporter cores when you can beam to a flag, then beam up to your ship, from the outpost teleporter?

(And yes, I do think this coming update is not the last. If for no other reason than this being the Story Update per the explanatory post, and there will still be the Polish Update.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:50:13 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 04, 2016, 01:49:50 am »

I'm really just tired with Starbound right now. The "combat" update that made enemies go back to damaging you on touch made combat boring again, and the progression isn't particularly fun. Just mine straight down until you get the correct armor, get the right quest from the Outpost, finish quest, repeat. Maybe add in spending lots of time stripping dungeons for decorative items.

I have hopes for the finished Starbound, but I don't find Starbound fun being played another time right now without more content or updates.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 04, 2016, 04:12:26 am »

https://youtu.be/1800Ougne5E sums it up for me really, good and bad

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 04, 2016, 04:41:14 am »

Wow... the... game has been getting worse somehow... O_O... I didn't expect that.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:47:32 am by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 04, 2016, 05:16:33 am »

Apparently everything that's worse for Neonivek is better for me, at least as far as gaming is concerned. I better keep that in mind. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 04, 2016, 05:38:55 am »

At this point, I haven't played in ... since before questing was a thing. Never seen the outpost, never used the ship AI. Novakids are a mystery. I look forward to seeing what's changed at some point, but by the time I get around to it I bet the game will... possibly maybe be done for reals. So that's cool.

Still not buying anything else from the devs, though. Douchebags.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 04, 2016, 09:23:25 am »

Apparently everything that's worse for Neonivek is better for me, at least as far as gaming is concerned. I better keep that in mind. :P

Waiting to craft an item and just having to sit on your butt and do nothing is "better gaming"?

I miss horse boobs, because it represented the idiotic actions of company employees trying to be witty and clever in their product.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:27:45 am by BigD145 »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 04, 2016, 09:56:15 am »

I dont know how it is now, but a few months back I reinstalled after a long hiatus and I did get the definite impression that the game had actually gotten worse from it's original inceptions. It used to be more survival-sandboxy. When I tried it again it was basically a metroidvania with digging. And not a very good one.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 04, 2016, 12:21:32 pm »

Waiting to craft an item and just having to sit on your butt and do nothing is "better gaming"?
That one's pretty much the only actually inconvenient change, but aside from spending... what, five minutes? Five minutes one time, refining a stack of sand into glass, I believe I hardly ever had a problem with it. You rarely craft much, you will most often 3D-print most furniture and buy most supplies (buffs aside, almost nothing beats canned food for long trips. Cataclysm this still ain't.) Your ore stacks are conveniently limited by the limited amount of time you typically spend spelunking, I rarely had to process more than 100 ore at a time, spending all of 30 seconds on it.

Still, I do agree that for stack processing it's inconvenient, and the delay never actually matters. But I'm going to naively assume that even CF is going to listen to some of its players, and since the change is inconvenient for most players I don't really expect it to persist past the 1.0 release. Especially because fixing it is as simple as cutting the crafting time of ores and other mass-produced items to that of timber and wood platforms, making even large stacks craft near-instantly.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 04, 2016, 12:46:46 pm »

That one's pretty much the only actually inconvenient change, but aside from spending... what, five minutes? Five minutes one time, refining a stack of sand into glass, I believe I hardly ever had a problem with it. You rarely craft much, you will most often 3D-print most furniture and buy most supplies (buffs aside, almost nothing beats canned food for long trips. Cataclysm this still ain't.) Your ore stacks are conveniently limited by the limited amount of time you typically spend spelunking, I rarely had to process more than 100 ore at a time, spending all of 30 seconds on it.

Still, I do agree that for stack processing it's inconvenient, and the delay never actually matters. But I'm going to naively assume that even CF is going to listen to some of its players, and since the change is inconvenient for most players I don't really expect it to persist past the 1.0 release. Especially because fixing it is as simple as cutting the crafting time of ores and other mass-produced items to that of timber and wood platforms, making even large stacks craft near-instantly.

Start game
Open craft menu
Process stack of whatever
Walk away from computer and make lunch, because you're forced to leave the craft window open
Come back sometime later
Pat yourself on the back for "playing" a game

It's even less convenient than freemium games with timers for everything because you can't even do anything else. They made a chunk of Starbound even worse than pay to win games. Progress Quest is more interesting than crafting in Starbound.

Post to their twitter feed or something with a screen grab of Progress Quest and #ProgressQuest2FinallyReleased
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:50:22 pm by BigD145 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 04, 2016, 01:35:25 pm »

Start game
Open craft menu
Process stack of whatever
Walk away from computer and make lunch, because you're forced to leave the craft window open
Come back sometime later
Pat yourself on the back for "playing" a game
In my case it was "Start game, spend an hour spelunking through a desert, 'port back to base, consume food from farm, open craft menu, process stack of sand, go rest my eyes and make a coffee while it's at it", but yeah. It's not terrible and only rarely actually annoying, but not comfortable, yeah.

Timers are retarded, and so's the lack of food stacking and food decay. Beyond that it looks better, but still shallow.
I'm not entirely sure what sort of depth you want from it. It's already trying to be too many different things at once because so many people want it to be different things.

Without food decay and non-stacking food, is there a point to hunger? A farm can produce so much food it's silly, because progression through literally farming money is one of the goals, and a stack of decay-proof potatoes (holy fuck potatoes must be half-rabbit in this universe, they seem to spawn new seeds every harvest, and yield two tubers per plant) would last you till heat death of the universe.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 04, 2016, 02:02:14 pm »

Wait, have they reintroduced hunger? I can't see anything in the patch notes about it
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 04, 2016, 02:28:08 pm »

Unless something's changed you can just write a patch text file and reduce crafting time to near-instant. Likely also extend spoilage time to near-infinite. Problem solved?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 04, 2016, 02:47:20 pm »

Wow dang. Even though I feel like making a video on Nighly builds of any game is a low blow, indev bugs and obvious unfinished features aside..dafuq are those changes?
To me the game seems to get worse, too. Last time I played was when they added teleporters, because I liked the idea of teleporting around the universe..but I had to add a ton of mods to make it fun.

My feeling is that if the modding API was more extensive, modders would've taken upon themselves to make a 100 times better game.
(I'm not sure how good is the modding API, but none of the mods was really gamechanging other than one that added tech machines with a different tech tree, but not close to Minecraft levels of epicness.)

I don't really feel like going back to the game after seeing these changes, though..but I had already made a deal with myself to stay put and only check the game on its full release, because Chucklefish pisses me off.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 130