Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439286 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1140 on: July 27, 2016, 04:51:56 am »

Someone mentioned a mod that adds food under the casual mode, but I don't know if you have to re-create the character to change the difficulty mode (i.e. lose your current progress in order to play under casual-with-food-mod mode).

Ohhhh really? That would be awesome... I'll have to look into that. I'm really not that far into playing, so it wouldn't be a tragedy to start over now...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 27, 2016, 05:04:15 am »

You don't drop your furniture on death, and sleeping tents count as furniture/healing.

Also, later on there's some healing weapons you can use. So it's not this bad always.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 27, 2016, 05:47:40 am »

Has... Anyone lost a character since the 1.0 update? I finally had a good Floran character going and she's... Just gone  :'(

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1143 on: July 27, 2016, 06:29:44 am »

Alright, since only like 3 people have PM'd me for the server details I'll just try releasing them here as someone has requested. Starbound should be less prone to griefing due to its design, as you cannot jump to someone unless they're in a party etc. Just be careful who you invite over.

the server IP is: netizenllcs.com
the port is: 21025

It's a vanilla server so if you have UI mods you'll have to allow asset mismatches and I offer no support for fixing problems that causes for you. :)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1144 on: July 27, 2016, 06:41:52 am »

Woohoo!!! Got the hunger for casual mod and now I'm a happy gamer. :) Everything is so much more enjoyable without the specter of losing all my stuff at the slightest mistake. I'd like to be able to pause in single player, and I still disagree with a lot of their design choices, but I'm having a lot of fun now. And it wasn't a big deal starting over - I wound up with a much more interesting starting planet anyway.

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 27, 2016, 09:25:42 am »

Just FYI to anybody else that likes hunger but hates losing items: there's also a mod in steam workshop to get rid of item dropping on death if you're playing Survival mode.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 27, 2016, 09:29:09 am »

I was really hoping that if they're going to scrap the unique opening stories, they'd put equal effort into the new plot.

But nope. Went past this friendly face and found spess grandma. Nice work ripping out all those neat story ideas you had in favor of this generic "you are the last protector" stuff. That honestly has me more salty than the hotbar changes. :V
Story effort is not a thing for chucklefish. There is just what sounds good at the time.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1147 on: July 27, 2016, 09:51:51 am »

Oh god unskippable cutscenes aaarrgghghhhhhh... Fine the first time you play, but you gotta watch it every time! At least it doesn't pause, um, ever, so I can just stick it in the background and do other things until grandma is done telling me I'm the CHOSEN ONE.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 27, 2016, 10:43:20 am »

Oh god unskippable cutscenes aaarrgghghhhhhh... Fine the first time you play, but you gotta watch it every time! At least it doesn't pause, um, ever, so I can just stick it in the background and do other things until grandma is done telling me I'm the CHOSEN ONE.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729428037

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1149 on: July 27, 2016, 10:48:46 am »

:o

I need to spend more time looking through the mods...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 27, 2016, 11:07:49 am »

Story effort is not a thing for chucklefish. There is just what sounds good at the time.

Chukefuck cannot into story. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 27, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »

Chukefuck cannot into story. :V

Also cannot learn what games need in general, as evidenced by some very specific and no-brainer mods.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 27, 2016, 03:01:43 pm »

Also cannot learn what games need in general, as evidenced by some very specific and no-brainer mods.

For the love of God, tell me pausing is a mod. D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 27, 2016, 03:23:26 pm »

Aside from the hotbar thing I mentioned earlier, one of the biggest pet peeves I have is how the 'platform' type objects work. The way Terraria did it was fine, and I don't understand why they didn't just shamelessly copy that. By default you will go up a staircase when you approach it regardless if you're holding up, down, or nothing at all. Unless I'm missing something and the W and S keys actually do something special when you're moving I don't understand why they have this even be a thing. Also, going down ladders? In Terraria you hold Down and you keep dropping through platforms, automatically stopping on each one so you don't incur fall damage. Starbound just lets you fall until you release Down, forcing you to do a sort of gallop with the jump and down keys.

For the love of God, tell me pausing is a mod. D:
A quick search says no. However, as long as you're not in a mission you can simply choose 'save and quit' and you'll pop back to where you were before you quit. Rather tedious, but better than nothing. You can also rest in a bed if hunger is the problem.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 27, 2016, 03:30:17 pm »

A quick search says no. However, as long as you're not in a mission you can simply choose 'save and quit' and you'll pop back to where you were before you quit. Rather tedious, but better than nothing. You can also rest in a bed if hunger is the problem.

Tedious, yes. And it's just...frustrating on a level beyond all the other things I've come to dislike about Starbound. One of many reasons I don't do multiplayer games much is because you commit time to it. Something comes up and you need to get up, the game goes on without you. You want to enjoy time with friends, you need to make time.

If I'm in the mood, have a friend poking me to play, and my potatonet is willing to cooperate, I can commit that time every so often. But when the game itself demands that same commitment just because the devs don't know what they're doing, it gets harder to put up with.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 130