Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441078 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1155 on: July 27, 2016, 03:46:27 pm »

Sheesh. I get not liking Starbound, but can we please keep the unnecessary Chucklefish hate to at least a semi-low level? Sure, Starbound's deefinitely not perfect, but I really don't see the need to just be so petty about it.

I mean, seriously? "Chucklefuck"? I really didn't think people in this forum were that petty.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 27, 2016, 04:13:52 pm »

Sheesh. I get not liking Starbound, but can we please keep the unnecessary Chucklefish hate to at least a semi-low level? Sure, Starbound's deefinitely not perfect, but I really don't see the need to just be so petty about it.

I mean, seriously? "Chucklefuck"? I really didn't think people in this forum were that petty.

Given no one has given a tirade yet and only kept to giving Chucklesuck petty insults... consider it a victory.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 27, 2016, 05:00:50 pm »

I finally got Starbound to work...had to download the German version of the Windows 10 sdk to get the .dll files required so I can play it on Windows 7, which seems like a ridiculous amount of work just to get the game to launch, but whatever, it's done now.

Built myself a humble little hole in the wall that barely contains my starting workstations, and made a garden on the roof that is keeping me fed for now. Next step is to do some mining and hope to find ore for some simple weapons.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 27, 2016, 05:05:07 pm »

I've found that weapons you can loot are generally better than ones you can craft anyways. You're better off using the ores to craft armor or upgrades to your crafting stations.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 27, 2016, 05:05:57 pm »

See, I'm just the opposite. Starbound at this point is okay-ish in some respects, lacking in others, generally decent overall once you've got some mods set up. However, I've long since developed a deep and abiding loathing for all of the Chucklefucks, and I intend to never buy another game from them, not just because of the haphazard and meandering development but also because of their incredibly unprofessional behavior. The devs that just straight up run Kickstarter scams and bail with the money are preferable in my book because once they burn you there's nothing worth sticking around for.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 27, 2016, 05:47:35 pm »

For the love of God, tell me pausing is a mod. D:
A quick search says no. However, as long as you're not in a mission you can simply choose 'save and quit' and you'll pop back to where you were before you quit. Rather tedious, but better than nothing. You can also rest in a bed if hunger is the problem.
Not sure how well it'll work, because I haven't reinstalled starbound yet (and quite possibly probably won't for a while, since it didn't run very well on this computer), but you could try something like suspending the process. Process Explorer will do that easily, and Battle Encoder Shirase manages about the same when you set the throttle to full. Probably other stuff, too. Basically stops the program from doing anything until you resume/unthrottle. Only rub is some programs react worse to having that done to them than others, so it may cause crashing, instability, etc. Still, couldn't hurt much to try. Is my go-to for single player games that have shitty save/pause schemes or poor handling of being unfocused.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 27, 2016, 05:58:40 pm »

I finally got Starbound to work...had to download the German version of the Windows 10 sdk to get the .dll files required so I can play it on Windows 7, which seems like a ridiculous amount of work just to get the game to launch, but whatever, it's done now.

Built myself a humble little hole in the wall that barely contains my starting workstations, and made a garden on the roof that is keeping me fed for now. Next step is to do some mining and hope to find ore for some simple weapons.
Wait, is Windows 10 a prerequisite for playing the game now? If so, I guess that explains the crashing after character selection I keep getting.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 27, 2016, 06:15:59 pm »

Wait, is Windows 10 a prerequisite for playing the game now? If so, I guess that explains the crashing after character selection I keep getting.

Works fine on my Win 7, but I have a few dll's that are commonly missing and necessary for games.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 27, 2016, 07:14:37 pm »

Visual C++ 2015 .dll's are a requirement for the game, which will not install on Windows 7 without the most recent service packs, which many people are unwilling to install because they break compatibility with other software. Installing the German Windows 10 sdk is the only way to get the .dll's from Microsoft(don't trust .dll's from other sources) in a format that will extract without the latest service packs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 27, 2016, 10:16:09 pm »

7 only has one service pack as far as I know, but it has many windows updates. What sort of software works on 7 but breaks when you update it, anyway? Can't say I've run into that sort of thing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 27, 2016, 11:04:56 pm »

Anyone happen to have co-ordinates for an Apex Apartment complex? I've yet to find one for the side-quest at the Ark, and yet I've completed the main questline. Tired of skimming planets on the hoverbike.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 28, 2016, 12:03:57 pm »

I recall someone (probably you) saying this EXACT thing when I used the term.

Yah, we already had that conversation, which ended with someone pulling up the definition of the term, and it exactly describing CF's behavior.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 28, 2016, 12:51:29 pm »

What is this? The language police? Is Captain America here?

This fucking is the motherfucking inter-fucking-web where fucking we can fucking say what the fucking hell of fucking nine fucking hells we fucking want to fucking say. I fucking mean, fuck, I know there fucking is a so-fucking-called teacher on here who I expect to fucking have a problem with people fucking calling Chucklefuck the Chuckle-fucking-fucks that they fucking are but who the fucking fuck is fucking having a fucking problem with this fucking over-fucking-politica-fucking-lly fucking correct language when it fucking is the fucking correct fucking terminology to fucking use for these fucking fuckers who fucked us all fucking fuck years ago with their fucking promises and fucks that they fucking said they were fucking going to fuck. Fucking let's not fucking forget that the fucking word fuck itself has fucking no fucking meaning any fucking more as we fucking use it so fucking much that it has fucking become a fucking noun, a fucking adjective, a fucking adverb, a fucking everything fucking termi-fucking-nology in the entire fucking grammatical codex of the fucking Astartes Grammatica 40 fucking k. Who fucking gives a flying fuck if the fucking fuck word is fucking used as it barely fucking means any fucking thing any fucking more it's like fucking getting pissed that some fucking little fuck said the fucking word piss or some fucking lame-fucking-ass shit like fucking that. Hell, fucking this entire fucking para-fucking-graph and fucking run-the-fuck-on-sentence uses the fucking fuck word so fucking much that it should fucking demonstrate how fucking worthless that fucking word fucking is it's not like we fucking invented a fucking time fucking machine where we fucked back to the fucking 1960s and people fucking get morally fucking outraged over fucking four letters. Fuck but now that I fucking read the fuck back what I fucking typed the fuck out it does fucking sound like it's some fucking retard spewed fucking hate all over the fucking page so fucking fucked up like fuck perhaps it fucking still has a fucking point when it fucking gets fucking fucked out at such a fucking huge fucking amount. It also fucking doesn't even fucking look like a fucking word any fucking more and I think I'm fucking developing fucking dyslexia or fucking something as all these fucking fucks are fucking starting to fucking read like fucking fcuk where my fucking brain knows it's fucking fuck but it fucking looks like fcuk like what the fuck is fucking going on my fucking brain cannot fucking handle this fucking kind of fuckery fuck maybe it'll fucking fix itself if I fucking type the fucking fuck a few fucking more times! Fuck fuck fuck fuck no fuck it's getting fucking worse help!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1168 on: July 28, 2016, 01:02:21 pm »

That was a fuckload of fucks

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 28, 2016, 01:02:51 pm »

What is this? The language police? Is Captain America here?
<snip>
That is... quite a lot of fucking, for something involving Captain America.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 130