Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439257 times)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1335 on: August 02, 2016, 05:25:33 am »

You can also change a flag for teleporting from anywhere from true to false in casual. Same file. Not much modding.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 02, 2016, 05:56:45 am »

I definitely prefer casual teleporting. I just don't feel that having to backtrack your steps in caves just to get out adds anything to gameplay.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: August 02, 2016, 08:15:37 am »

Theres also a mod to allow teleporting wherever.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 02, 2016, 08:32:44 am »

One can buy the teleport gates/tools from the telepoint in the hub/outpost and use those, if you're playing on a high difficulity. But its annoying and a 3 000 pixel investment that you... just leave there.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 02, 2016, 09:18:38 am »

Anyone seen this mod?

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/frackinuniverse.2920/

The whole thing seems to solve the depth issues I've been having, but that one-way modding the whole universe seems pretty harsh, even if I can just make a backup of my current stuff.

I'll probably try it anyway unless someone here tried it and it drank all the good beer in the fridge or whatever.

Shit. I wish I'd known about that before starting my new character. Now, to continue with this character until I exhaust the vanilla game materials, or to just cut my losses, install this mod, and start over in a much more interesting universe....

Do it. I did, and I don't regret it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1340 on: August 02, 2016, 11:11:37 am »

Hm.... update queued for Starbound. Is there any risk of that breaking mods?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 02, 2016, 11:48:30 am »

Hm.... update queued for Starbound. Is there any risk of that breaking mods?

An update could, I guess, but this one is all internal stuff that shouldn't mess with any moddable bits.

Last time I looked at the data files all the moddable stuff was external, you can modify them as much as you want. Deleting your mods may cause crashes and stuff, but I doubt the main game will break the data files on its own.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 02, 2016, 01:39:33 pm »

started to play this game some days ago. for now, i've been entertained with all the mission stuff i have to do and well, the survival stuff.

started with a Novakid character and did the introductory mission. the first days that i was planetlocked i was able to build a simple base (ye olde first night two stories box, well, its two boxes stacked together but you get the idea). i was lucky to find a campfire and a sleeping bag near beampoint. so i was able to rest and cook from day one. the landing site was relatively flat so i had to put few dirt in order to level the place.

explored the whole surface of the planet in search of plants, im mostly sitting on carrots and rice, but have some pearpea, tomatoes, wheat, potato, cacao and sugar cane. and cotton which i havent planted much.

my only complain is the lack of a map and that i cant make a f*cking hellevator for strip mining. i mean, ropes as consumable grappling hooks is cool but there should be a way to make some kind of stair with them.

i have remained relativelly on the surface because of that. already completed the repair mission but i feel i havent really scratched the planet. wanted to move onto the next system once i had gotten at least tier 2 armor along with all the techs and enough provisions for the long way (my ship is mostly for transport right now, since i have a planet based hq).

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1343 on: August 02, 2016, 03:15:43 pm »

It is done! Second character abandoned, third character created and starting to explore its new planet which is covered in chickens for some reason. Hooray for modders who fix all the devs' screwups! :D

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 02, 2016, 04:11:09 pm »

Frackin Universe
I would definetely like some impressions on this mod. If I'm gonna install it, I want to do so before I get so far that losing my progression is too painful. I'm already not looking forward to re-creating my characters and losing my various goodies...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: August 02, 2016, 05:24:14 pm »

Could always back up your current save folder. If you don't like it, do a fresh install of the game and your current mods and drop the save folder in.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 02, 2016, 05:40:45 pm »

there should be a way to make some kind of stair with them.

There are stairs. Play with platforms a bit.

Or you could just tediously dig downward at a diagonal. The PC can step up/down one block of elevation.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 02, 2016, 05:51:17 pm »

I believe there was an easy way to make stairs. Hold Shift while dragging platforms?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 02, 2016, 05:59:57 pm »

there should be a way to make some kind of stair with them.

There are stairs. Play with platforms a bit.

Or you could just tediously dig downward at a diagonal. The PC can step up/down one block of elevation.

i know platforms exist, i have a staircase on my homebase. i think the correct term i wanted to get was "ladder", but it seems they are unobtainable in the game.

but the real deal would have been something like how you can use rope for making ladders in Terraria. even if i have to craft the ladder separately.

or it could be a separate thing with rope. like say, when you use it with the left click it would work as it works right now, but if using it right click it would be consumed to make a climbable static rope or something
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:04:11 pm by xaritscin »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 02, 2016, 06:41:59 pm »

Honestly, I really want a Terraria-like/Minecraft-but with functioning elevators. Maybe automated mining, too, which is another one of those weird things about Starbound's flavor.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 130