Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441053 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1365 on: August 03, 2016, 09:51:32 am »

What exactly is 'technology' then?

Have you tried their TVs and key statues and other derpy dystopian items?
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: August 03, 2016, 11:12:26 am »

I just used 3 arcade cabinets taken from a hytol city to meet a technology room.

Best way to find florans quickly is to just check forest worlds in gentle and radioactive systems.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 03, 2016, 11:28:52 am »

I just used 3 arcade cabinets taken from a hytol city to meet a technology room.
Thanks, pixel printed 3 arcade machines. It worked.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: August 03, 2016, 02:44:43 pm »

my only complain is the lack of a map and that i cant make a f*cking hellevator for strip mining. i mean, ropes as consumable grappling hooks is cool but there should be a way to make some kind of stair with them.

i have remained relativelly on the surface because of that

Do you need an elevator ? can't you just use your ship's teleporter and flags ?

no teleport from underground in survival...

as for the farming economy, i just wait for all the goods to get ripe, harvest en masse and choke full the container before sending.

i have earned enough money to buy 5 chickens and 5 robot chickens which should increase my gains.

the next tier is to get a herd of 5 mooshi.

but first i have to find space to build their barn, the chickens were enough covered on the first one and im running out of space since the landing site is between 2 hills.

in the otherh and, my solar system is choked on villages, only my starter planet was devoid of people. so i got to complete the Floran mission quickly. have like 3 floran settlements and a big fortress that i havent explored yet.

i found an avian settlement on one of the planets, being able to get a second crewmate, the first was a floran that i found on the desert planet. so i have a technician and a medic on board. upgraded the ship too.

the planetary exploration earned me enough to craft the tier 2 armor with some tungsten to spare. but my weapons were quite weak. right now the best weapon i have is a rocket launcher i found, it has fire element and guided missiles as special hability. i have a 2 handed sword with electricty and a dashing attack, and a sniper rifle with a explosive hability.

now i have to either gather erchius from the moons or spend pixels on fuel so i can find a system with titanium. i may just wait, since i havent finished the tech quests in the outpost. need to get 10 gold bars for the morphball mission and may try to do the dreadwing quest so i can unlock the other stores.

i have to expand the house too, just got enough space for building the apothecary, i have to add at least a third floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 03, 2016, 03:16:27 pm »

Yay. After scouring a few magma planets and not finding any crystal biomes, a tenant paid me 3 neon melon seeds as rent. That was the last one I needed, got all crops now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 03, 2016, 05:35:41 pm »

The RNG must hate me. I´ve progressed to Solarium by now, my ship has 10 crew members and I have a magma planet base.

BUT. I am not progressing in the main quest. On the few dozen planets I´ve been to, I have yet to find my first Floran  :o
Chucklefucks further reduced planetary diversity. Each type of racial settlement will only spawn on one specific planetary biome. I think it's forests for Florans.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 03, 2016, 05:44:33 pm »

Chucklefucks further reduced planetary diversity. Each type of racial settlement will only spawn on one specific planetary biome. I think it's forests for Florans.
Not quite true.  You probably won't find glitch on a forest planet, but you can find floran on a volcanic world (which was the first time I ever did run into a friendly floran town and it wasn't a forest mini-biome).  I've run into glitch on frozen worlds in frozen systems.

But yeah, the fact that forest worlds are almost 100% chance of finding a floran dungeon and nothing else is kind of... meh.  Also having to find a number of objects to scan was annoying as hell.  It took me over 3 floran dungeons to complete that first one but a single hytol city or a glitch dark fortress were more than enough for those portions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 03, 2016, 05:46:04 pm »

You only need Floran objects to fulfil the quest, though. I near completed in in an "Overgrown Valley" location on a desert world.
Love, scriver~

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 03, 2016, 05:50:07 pm »

Frackin Universe
I would definetely like some impressions on this mod. If I'm gonna install it, I want to do so before I get so far that losing my progression is too painful. I'm already not looking forward to re-creating my characters and losing my various goodies...

First impression after a couple hours' play:

It really, really slows down the early game. rough comparison, if vanilla had 8 metals total, FU has something like 80 each for 3 different types of materials, plus drops plus complex crafts plus 20 crafting stations.

Pros: you get access to all of the stations at a science outpost, so you don't have to build stuff immediately

Cons: Holy shit there's a lot of stuff. It takes some getting used to, and there are some things that require 4 or 5 parts, each of which requires 2 or 3 parts from different raw materials. There are early-accessible 148-slot lockers, though (you'll need them).

After 3 hours I've managed to craft... a suit of armor. But the laser mining drill is kinda fun for a while, so it could be worse. I'll get back to you when I actually make the low-tier laser pistol.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 03, 2016, 08:51:50 pm »

After 3 hours I've managed to craft... a suit of armor. But the laser mining drill is kinda fun for a while, so it could be worse. I'll get back to you when I actually make the low-tier laser pistol.

After a few upgrades the mining laser is ridiculously good. As in getting 2000 sand in a minute of teleporting onto a planet or simply running through most materials.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: August 03, 2016, 08:56:06 pm »

You only need Floran objects to fulfil the quest, though. I near completed in in an "Overgrown Valley" location on a desert world.
Wait, so I should have been filling my filthy pockets and not just listening to the grandma blather on about things I was scanning?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 03, 2016, 10:21:37 pm »

Actually, you can get the information via obtained items, too, but I'm fairly sure it's only if you could have gotten the same information by scanning the item; it triggers the same "granny blather" you mention.  This made the Hylotl mission much easier for me, since I scavenged some Hylotl and Avian dungeons before I managed to find two Floran locations (my first village was just a wee bit short).  When I started pulling Hylotl paintings and furniture out of storage to reorganize, I was surprised to find Granny radioing me as I made quest progress out of nowhere.  I suspect, though, that scriver's just pointing out that the race-specific items that trigger the quest requirements don't only spawn in settlements; they can also be found in race-specific dungeons and the like.  The Overgrown Valley he mentions is one such dungeon; the ones I found were Apex labs, Avian tombs, and an ruined Hylotl settlement on what, I believe, was a wasteland world.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:25:18 pm by Culise »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: August 03, 2016, 10:43:24 pm »

You can also get quest progression from dialog. Talk to everyone while you're invasively photographing all their cultural relics and you may get completion faster.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 03, 2016, 10:47:21 pm »

I managed to make a huge amount of progress on the Hylotl quest by scanning a particular painting, representing the library that is the object of said quest. Granny said something along the lines of "that's all I need".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 04, 2016, 01:49:34 am »

I managed to make a huge amount of progress on the Hylotl quest by scanning a particular painting, representing the library that is the object of said quest. Granny said something along the lines of "that's all I need".

That sounds like a cute, clever little feature that will get axed next update.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 130