Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2393 2394 [2395] 2396 2397 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5940287 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35910 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:30 pm »

Well, this happened.

Spoiler: A Titan has come (click to show/hide)

The 'titan' was then immediately overcome by terror. Not quite as strange as the dwarven child titan I had a while back, but pretty close.
What.
The.
Hell.

So, news on my fort Eribaran: I'm playing old 34 version, and I have over 144 dorfs, a full military, fought off an ambush (one of the goblins was killed by being punched in the face), and have enough serrated disc traps to turn an army into paste. We're preparing for trying to get a baron, the entire army has iron weapons, and we have the brilliant greeting sight for migrants of rotting goblin corpses. We have a vault of coins deep underground, protected by three locked iron doors. The entrance is actually a chokepoint with rows of traps before the drawbridge. There is a bunker in the bowels of the earth for everyone to hide in, just in case.

Everything is going according to plan. εχсειιεητ.

This is an exceptionally crafted ΞDwarf FortressΞ. It hangs with rings of -awesome-. It is adorned with spikes of *epicness*.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35911 on: July 19, 2014, 12:54:34 am »

after some time finding i settled finally in a tropical jungle, with all the features i needed (clay, soil, flux, shallow and deep stone, a brook, and plenty of wood, no aquifer)

lets see how it pans out, again, its a 2x2 area.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35912 on: July 19, 2014, 01:01:42 am »

I don't know what you guys are complaining about with dwarfs freaking out over the local animals. My woodcutter is a few squares away from Boar men and does not care one bit. The other dwarfs don't care either, it is just the animals I brought with me that are scared.

EDIT: Except the cats.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:03:17 am by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35913 on: July 19, 2014, 01:02:44 am »

aaaaaand im done, not only i got dolomite, but also limonite, dis gon b gud >:)

razor871

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35914 on: July 19, 2014, 06:35:32 am »

Glassmaker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Horrified.

Whilst storing some stone in a stockpile underground, one of my (recently arrived migrant) glassmakers found the body of a human(?)
invader. The corpse is now the first guest of my all new, crudely beautifully-made, 1 star burial ground 5 star VIP suite!

Pic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35915 on: July 19, 2014, 10:53:13 am »

The damn kea men stole one of the only masterwork mugs created by the milita commander. She did not take it well. I am serious considering modding keas and kea people to catch fire at room temperature. After a while at miserable, and regular meetings with the expedition leader(whom she has a grudge with), she tantrums during one of the meeting with him in the dining hall, beating the everloving crap out of him, breaking the nail on his left third toe and his upper spine. Strangely, the militia commander was ecstatic, while the expedition leader got up and carried about his duties.

I also think I found a bug. While entering the map, I suppose one of the wagon drivers of the human caravan got spooked by a buzzard. He teleported to the Trade Depot, where I got the message about merchants unloading their goods. When the rest of the caravan finally caught up, I sent the broker(also expedition leader) to trade. For some reason, they were not unloadng their goods and I could not trade. As I was building a new Trade Depot before tearing down the old one, the wagon that was spooked self-destructed, and the rest of the caravan began preparations to leave. I did not receive any notice about merchants leaving, but the Trade Depot said "there are no merchants trading now". After deconstructing the Trade Depot, the other wagon in the caravan left at warp speed, while the rest left normally. Around that time, I finally got the message that the merchants were preparing to leave, and after all the caravan members except the two water buffaloes that were presumably attached to the self-destructed wagon had left, I finally got the message that they were leaving.

Well, this happened.

The 'titan' was then immediately overcome by terror. Not quite as strange as the dwarven child titan I had a while back, but pretty close.
Werebeast, not a titan. It just so happened that the full moon ended before being discovered, resulting in the message. If it had been full moon, they would have gladly ripped your face off and beat everyone to death with it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35916 on: July 19, 2014, 11:00:57 am »

I spent two dwarf years carving out a set of spiral impulse ramps up from the magma sea, and another year figuring out the dumping station at the top and how to get the cart to keep moving through the magma at the bottom. With the addition of a perpetual motion plant, I now have a minecart based magma elevator! Sadly though, it lifts magma at a very, very slow rate. And murders children and dogs. Some design modifications later, and the tracks are sealed from all dwarves! Safety ensues. But the magma is coming in so slowly that it's evaporating faster than I can get it up from the sea. A system for adding more carts in without endangering dwarves is added, taking about 3 months to implement. Finally, 5 years after the building started, I have magma forges, smelters, glass furnaces and kilns, a mere 10 layers below the soil.

The device was finally deactivated.

Later, in an attempt to get rid of the 5s and 6s dancing around in the magma trench, and replace them with glorious 7s, I kept the device running, until it overflowed and melted all my non-magma safe track stops and rollers -_- now the 6 iron carts keep going round and round, and the safeguard I put in in case of this sort of emergency, a floodgate to block the water in the power plant at the bottom, isn't working because some fool of a dwarf dropped his Armok-damned socks into it. So now the whole pipe to the surface is slowly filling up with magma, and I can't disable it because the carts just pummel to death anyone who walks on the tracks.

So dwarfness, much awesome.

So, new fort.  Anguishshields, lovely name... :/

First we have this...

And yes, we had some... rough days at first.  Poor butcher.  We hardly knew him.

I did not see that coming.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35917 on: July 19, 2014, 12:31:08 pm »

Well, this happened.

This is a werebeast. It arrived whilst not transformed. Still funny.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35918 on: July 19, 2014, 01:17:45 pm »

Well, bloody fuck.  I just got completely wiped out by a hair follicle that literally couldn't even hurt a child.

Here's a save attached to a bug report, before the deaths started.  At first it appeared to be an awesome training regimen.  I kept landing zero-damage blows, taking zero-damage blows, gaining skills....

Then, some dwarves decided to climb up the trees to escape.

That's what killed 'em.

Some combat report quotes, from when the first reanimated dwarf showed up:

The Logem Rodemushat's corpse punches The Dwarven Child in the head with her left hand and the injured part collapses!
Mistêm ònulnïng, Dwarven Child has been found dead.
Ast Kiroltar, Carpenter: Death is all around us.  The horror...
Ast Kiroltar, Carpenter: Mistêm Mirrorburns is really dead.  Waaaaa...
Ast Kiroltar, Carpenter: Saintsimple killed Mistêm Mirrorburns.  Rawr!!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:24:05 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35919 on: July 19, 2014, 02:53:23 pm »

fort is around 40 people, and FPS are already dropping (around 60+) manufacturing pig iron until i run out, then i will process it to steel, so far the embark is good, and have received the first elven caravan and the first liaison caravan, lets se if i get some humans too.

not enough people for putting them to train in military yet, but will have the equipment ready for that.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35920 on: July 19, 2014, 03:02:44 pm »

My pants would've filled up with shite were it not for my starting 7 militia-dwarves  at hand.

Thou'st enemies aren't shy of using the new meta! Of course, with our shiny bug to-be-fixed, dwarfs love falling to magma too!
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35921 on: July 19, 2014, 03:42:09 pm »

Apparently, zombies are everywhere In my world. Start a new fort, wait a season or two, then ZOMBIES!!!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35922 on: July 19, 2014, 03:47:16 pm »

the jungle has served its purpose, and not only im getting overcumbered with food, but also getting large quantities of wood for crafting and fuel production, the smelters are busy processing the huge batchs of limonite while hunters get some food with the collections of wooden and bone bolts. this has been a nice embark, for now.... population is 44, FPS are around 60

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35923 on: July 19, 2014, 03:56:13 pm »

I should have known Anguishedshields was cursed from the name alone.

First, it seemed like a reasonable embark.  I dug in, got settled, found some tetra and gold.  No flux, no iron, but tons of wood and I can trade for what I need, right?  Right?  No.  By year three, I'm in the candy and happy... except.

This is the embark of the cursed trade depots.  My first dwarven caravan, the first wagon did the rocket-across-the-screen thing, which was officially An Omen(tm).  It got stuck half-way in the depot.  Fine.  No way are you fuckers leaving without giving me some booze after I busted my ass making stone crafts for you.  Deconstruct the depot.

New depot, outside the walls this time.  Elves get by fine, humans get stuck.  Leave that one alone, they can't leave and go nuts.  I have to kill them.  Then the dwarves skip a year.  Third year, they come back, trade fine, liaison is happy, joy biscuits for all.  Then the humans get stuck again.  No matter WHERE I build my depot, the damn traders get stuck.  They get stuck in the woods.  They get stuck on the road, and if you explain that one to me, I'll give you a sweet.  They get stuck entering the depot.  They get stuck leaving the depot.  They rocket all over the map, but can't trade.  They lose one trader and a pack mule, and won't trade.  Sometimes they just won't trade in general.

I finally had to retire the fort.  I will come back when Toady fixes things.  This is just nuts.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:57:46 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35924 on: July 19, 2014, 03:59:12 pm »

Oh yes, and the loony broker showed up from a previous fort on migrant wave 7... still melancholy, wandering around, not eating.  Harbinger of bloody doom is what he is.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 2393 2394 [2395] 2396 2397 ... 3838