Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3823 3824 [3825] 3826 3827 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5922349 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57360 on: September 02, 2023, 04:53:47 am »

You always know you have a good fort when your dwarves worship the Hentai god.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #57361 on: September 02, 2023, 08:58:59 am »

I got hit with a siege that had goblins dwarfs and humans .......
Jeesh destroy every town demand tribute and kill all merchants
And all the sudden I'm the bad guy

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57362 on: September 02, 2023, 11:49:25 am »

All my strange moods in Whiskeredcastles have been possessions. At first it was annoying, then it got funny, now it's starting to get a little creepy.

Bright side, if preferences hold I'm about to get an artifact green glass window. I don't think I've had an artifact window before, so that's fun.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57363 on: September 07, 2023, 01:57:03 pm »

came back to DF after a break and opened up one of my favorite forts. Before I'd left I'd set up a magma pump stack to flood the surface in case of invasions and also the tavern. i had. too many elf poets just malingering, so i used it.
I'm also dealing with high stress, had a few tantrums, i've canceled most jobs to give them some time to relax, but now i'm worried I have a loyalty cascade on my hands cuz i'm getting a lot of [name] canceled [eat/drink/sleep], interrupted by [profession/cat], which i'm pretty sure is what killed this fort the first time (i reclaimed it).

....and i just found a dead elf in the hallway.

and the power just went out irl
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57364 on: September 07, 2023, 02:22:10 pm »

Sounds like you're having !!FUN!!

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57365 on: September 07, 2023, 07:35:47 pm »

First Forgotten Beast kill some time ago, not too hard. Skinless winged alligator but it didn't actually fly, and no syndrome. Big stack of meat and bones from it. So I set up a Craftdwarf's workshop with "decorate with bone" on repeat, nearest stockpile set to only take masterwork weapons, detailed to FB bone and image of the skinless alligator.

Second Forgotten Beast, a towering quadruped composed of water, beware its deadly dust. Easy kill but no kidding about the dust. The understrength mace squad I sent out as test cases all bled to death shortly after the kill from the frozen extract he was shooting out.

Lacking bones from the wateruped I reset the Image on repeat to be of the second FB, Dorku Deepwaves the Poisoned to commemorate this one.

Without specifically arranging it, the masterwork silver mace that delivered the killing blow went back to the masterwork weapon stockpile, got masterwork improved with an image of Dorku (also shown as 1 notable kill) and... still has a coating of Dorku Deepwaves' forgotten beast frozen extract.

Would be cooler still on an edged weapon, but may not matter with this stuff, I'm not sure.

Only problem now is do I assign it to some new schmuck, or display it in a place of honor in the slayer's tomb?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57366 on: September 08, 2023, 04:31:14 am »

Made a whole trap setup for crushing forgotten beasts in cave-ins in what i thought was a solid pillar, turns out the layer immediately below it was hollow and flooded with water. Trapped our first forgotten beast, a nasty dust-breathing feathered sauropod, and an unfortunate dwarf who went down there for some reason and got eaten, and dropped the roof on it. Trap is too much of a pain to reset, so instead I made an entirely new trap.

The old monarch died in the second year, and one of my dwarves inherited the title of queen. Nice.

Also got an artifact silver anvil from a mood. Put it in the dining room/guild hall in a metalsmithy made with gold bars. Very fancy.

And then realized, i made this world with the old version of my mod, so the test i was originally doing is defunct and i need to generate a new world and make a new fort. Was wondering why i wasnt seeing the interactions i was expecting from the invaders.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57367 on: September 08, 2023, 11:03:29 pm »

i have no idea what's going on. it took me a moment to remember how to find the combat logs and found some thirteen reports of fighting in the last two days. fix/loyaltycascade didn't work, there's a lot of beating up of cats for some reason?? one of my speardwarves is beating up a bone carver, a visiting macedwarf is beating people (and cats) up with a book, and now there's a fire breathing squirrel in the basement.

[edit] ok dealing with the fire breathing squirrel seems to have fixed any issues.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 01:05:31 am by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #57368 on: September 15, 2023, 06:09:35 am »

There's this one dwarf who has made 4 statues so far (one of which being the result of a possession) of this one necromancer experiment called Nekol being killed, no clue why. It's even overflowed into another dwarf making a statue of the same event. I don't really know who this guy is or why he's so notable for getting killed once, maybe he's some kinda Dwarf Jesus, I guess I'll find out when FUN hits and I check out the legends.

Also I've been trying the new beta, and it's going great! Native Linux is amazing and runs so much better, but it does crash when I try to open the announcements log and I also don't have access to DFHack, but oh well I'm still happy.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57369 on: September 15, 2023, 09:26:28 am »

Got attacked by a forgotten beast made of lead and with webs and I was so pumped up, I never seen one before.

Thinking my dwarves were no match for it, I was preparing to turtle.

The beast was killing everybody on it's way with it's webs - and then the human merchants that happened to be at the trade depot summarily killed it.

Now the merchants are all crazy and stand there forever, but I guess they're just a free layer of defense for the fort.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57370 on: September 15, 2023, 04:59:08 pm »

There's this one dwarf who has made 4 statues so far (one of which being the result of a possession) of this one necromancer experiment called Nekol being killed, no clue why. It's even overflowed into another dwarf making a statue of the same event. I don't really know who this guy is or why he's so notable for getting killed once, maybe he's some kinda Dwarf Jesus, I guess I'll find out when FUN hits and I check out the legends.

Also I've been trying the new beta, and it's going great! Native Linux is amazing and runs so much better, but it does crash when I try to open the announcements log and I also don't have access to DFHack, but oh well I'm still happy.

They often depict historical events of the local area, and if the history of the region is sparse there will be a lot of repeats. Or endless statues of dwarves founding your fortress and maybe some statues of their gods.

Myself I had some statues Nekol, my civs god of death, commissioned for the shrine going into the catacombs, and of Belal Cobaltmatched, the god of the sun and the dawn, who got a temple complex now. Made a gold and silver and jet mural of a rising sun on the floor to raise that value. Almost all the engravings of Belal are of people they cursed or their gifting/creation of a slab of the (modded) Sun sphere magic, monster hunting.

My weapon traps are catching dozens and dozens of wild elk over the years, that seem to want to wander into the fortress for some reason (theres no path to the cavern edge or anything) and end up becoming elk tallow roasts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57371 on: September 15, 2023, 07:19:54 pm »

For some reason, dwarves tend to get obsessed with a single, random historical event. I've seen so many statues, engravings, images, and figurines of Klurin the raven man, you have no idea.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #57372 on: September 16, 2023, 08:22:27 pm »

Or endless statues of dwarves founding your fortress and maybe some statues of their gods.

Yeah that's what it usually is for me, if the events are from the region's history then I suppose that would make sense, I never really thought about how the dwarves chose the random instances they make into statues.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57373 on: September 17, 2023, 11:40:24 am »

Great stories, all!

My fortress Torchsyrup draws in many foreign visitors, mostly there to visit our famous tavern, the Trustworthy Ram-Room.  Some come for the library or the temples.

I recently got into a war with another Dwarven civilization.  Their king wound up being killed by one of my squads on a Raze mission.  Before my squad returned, it was announced that one of the bards in the Ram-Room had become the new Queen of that civ (after polite discussion with local rivals).  She's still listed as one of my citizens.  My own civilization's Queen is also present, so now there are two Queens in my fortress.

Some ideas I'm considering:
* Frame the foreign queen for a crime and chain her up somewhere interesting.
* Build her palace right next to my Queen's, so that it's like my fortress is the capital of two unified empires.
* Try to get her to marry the Queen's son, so that their child might inherit both Kingdoms.
* I have the means to make my Queen a necromancer (and she desires immortality), so maybe the other queen could become some sort of undead servant

Always open to suggestions!

I recently reloaded this game after several months of not playing.  I decided to take the approach of treating the foreign Queen as if she were an honored guest, second only to our own Queen (who I gave the title True Queen, to avoid confusion).  So she has a royal bedroom, dining room, etc.

It turned out that the True Queen's oldest son was already in my fortress, although for some reason he was there as a visiting peasant marked "Hostile".  I also found that several other members of my fort were his grandchildren, so I gave them new titles to recognize their royal heritage.  I was able to relocate him and and them into the "royal area" of my fortress.

Unfortunately, the True Queen was killed by a Forgotten Beast just recently.  And instead of her son inheriting the title, it seems to have skipped a generation and gone to *his* son, who is not in my fortress.  So I'm really hoping he'll come join the family soon.

I wonder though if they'll ever send a diplomat to negotiate peace if the queens already there, so she can't order a diplomat to come

Unfortunately, I have not seen any diplomats.  Their civilization is down to less than 10 people, though.

Oh, and I found a cool book - it's called "The Elf in the Time of my Ancestors".  What makes it interesting is that its elven author was one of the first of his kind, meaning it must be about prehistoric proto-elves. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 11:57:31 am by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57374 on: September 17, 2023, 12:19:06 pm »

If you have a random hostile peasant, that's a werebeast in dwarven form.
Pages: 1 ... 3823 3824 [3825] 3826 3827 ... 3838