Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845496 times)

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1005 on: November 29, 2015, 05:05:58 pm »

Is there any particular reason he keeps walking into the Wall of Flame? Just because you can take several hitpoints worth of damage without consequence doesn't mean you should.

The wall itself is a fire elemental that is connected to Pyros. Unless I had failed my will save to commune with Pyros, he wont get burned.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 29, 2015, 06:57:31 pm »

Bought copies of Planescape: Torment and the complete Krynn trilogy on Good Old Games a couple of days ago when they were on sale.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 29, 2015, 08:35:52 pm »

Is there any particular reason he keeps walking into the Wall of Flame? Just because you can take several hitpoints worth of damage without consequence doesn't mean you should.

The wall itself is a fire elemental that is connected to Pyros. Unless I had failed my will save to commune with Pyros, he wont get burned.
Okay, but that still doesn't explain why you keep walking into it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 30, 2015, 12:14:27 am »

In my current campaign there is a paladin ( paladin/oracle variant multiclassing, but I don't think it has had much effect yet).
Paladins are unbelievably tanky! to the point that the rest of the party went down, and the paladin hadn't been hit yet. To say nothing of he time she ate a 50 hp hit, while already wounded, And next turn was still able to fight and win(lvl 4).

Designing encounters for that will be challenging. At least against non-evil opponents she doesn't get the huge AC boost.
she also has luck with rolls, to the point she is nicknamed (ooc) Luckeria :P

By the way, as the campaign is moving toward less combat, do you have any advice for when designing quests relying on diplomacy, social skills and assoted intrigue? The next arc will be focused on that, but I am not entirely sure I can pull it off well.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 30, 2015, 01:14:09 am »

Well, it mostly boils down to motivation, when you use diplomacy the important thing is always if someone got what they wanted from an exchange (even a simple question) or not.  When you deal with it in a non-abstracted fashion (minimal dice rolling) you just need to know what the NPC the player/party is dealing with wants, and have them act accordingly.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 30, 2015, 03:48:16 am »

Bought copies of Planescape: Torment and the complete Krynn trilogy on Good Old Games a couple of days ago when they were on sale.

Updated my journal.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 30, 2015, 09:09:13 am »

Well, it mostly boils down to motivation, when you use diplomacy the important thing is always if someone got what they wanted from an exchange (even a simple question) or not.  When you deal with it in a non-abstracted fashion (minimal dice rolling) you just need to know what the NPC the player/party is dealing with wants, and have them act accordingly.
This precisely. It's just as with any other story: figure out what motivates the various characters, have them act according to those motivations and their personalities, and allow things to develop from there.

You're already moving in the right direction re: the other issue. If you've got a party with a combat monster who thoroughly outclasses the other PCs, start throwing up problems that can't be resolved well (or possibly even at all) by hitting things until they die or soaking all the damage. If you've got a ranger of some sort, feed them a plot hook that'll lead to something like a brief but interesting session of tracking where they need to hunt down a criminal who fled from the town they're in. If you've got a thief/spy type character of any description, give them something that'll let them do a nice bit of B&E and sneaking about, maybe with a few hidden treasures. If you've got a wizard, maybe feed them something with logic puzzles, tests of arcane knowledge, or something more to the tastes of that particular wizard.

Basically just think of ways you could challenge the party that can be resolved best by one of the party members who isn't specced to never die and kill everything that moves and most of what doesn't, then make sure that they get an appropriate exp and treasure return and that it doesn't drag on for so long that other less-skilled party members feel as out of place as they do in prolonged combat sessions. Unless the group likes getting into combats where most of them are regularly downed or killed. It's all related to what your players want, after all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 30, 2015, 09:29:11 am »

the ranger of sort  had his chance to track stuff, but failed utterly :P

thanks for the advice. Some of that I already planned for ( although I can't really talk about it because half the players dwell in this forum), but I'll keep everything in mind. Mostly, I'll flesh out a bit more all the characters involved in the next quest.

As for players liking battles in which most of them are downed, I had one of them screaming "make them stronger" all the time :P but the power disparity isn't so big that they felt useless. or at least I hope.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 30, 2015, 12:00:17 pm »

Good luck, then!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 30, 2015, 02:59:07 pm »

Game report:

We got off a ship in the biggest human city.
The human fighter rolled to intimidate the woman who came to greet us, I stabbed a guard to death. I am a shitty paladin.
I jumped in the water to avoid having to kill the other guards, the woman screamed and fell off the dock and drowned in sub-artic harbor.
The rest of the party claimed to have had nothing to do with it.

The party then made a beeline for the marketplace, until they found a merchant selling coffee.
The rogue tried to stab the merchant for his coffee beans and fell face-first into the stand, smashing it under his 7-foot bulk.
The merchant drew twin cutlasses and chased him down the street screaming while everyone else piled beans into sacks.

Meanwhile, I discovered that even if you can breathe underwater, it's very hard to climb a dockside wearing chainmail armor. Eventually I found someone with a crane.

After rejoining the party we ended up at a wizard's stall. The cleric bought a ring which turned out to be cursed, and decked the wizard. It escalated from there.
We only got out alive because the level 16 wizard flubbed all his spells and got decapitated by the frothing barbarian. As a Paladin, I scrupulously didn't see any of the combat, which was spent with my hands over my ears going "LA LA LA LA LA" over the sounds of "HIDEOUS LAUGHTER!" "WHY DOES NOTHING WORK!" MY LEG!".

Then we looted the body (or mutilated in the case of the barbarian) and ran before the town guard showed up to ask why we'd just killed the 400-year old founder of the city.

Meanwhile, the rogue was busy thwarting the GM's attempts to give us quests by murdering everyone as soon as they tried. Eventually he killed the bartender, took over the bar by rite of killing everything in it, then set the booze on fire and hid from the guards in the same tavern as us.

The next morning, I decided I was now official party leader until we got out of the city where fewer civilians would be turned into Johnny Inferno.

tbc

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 30, 2015, 03:54:27 pm »

What.

I posted some art a few weeks back

This is the game we played with that party
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 30, 2015, 03:57:15 pm »

Your party is very interesting.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 01, 2015, 04:49:15 am »

Your party sounds like my brother playing D&D. Except that he tries to kill the blacksmith with a level 1 character. It never ends well. At best the character ends up in jail. At worst, town guards slaughter him, and he rolls another character and whines about my sister's character getting so far ahead.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 01, 2015, 06:09:41 am »

I want to ask you guys/gals that is there anyway to find D&D or Pathfinder groups quite easy, I been wanting to do Paper RPG and the closest I had any experience is with the 'Forum games'.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:14:25 am by Evilsx »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 623