Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845503 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3750 on: April 25, 2017, 05:08:06 pm »

We managed to save an Ifrit when the Adventure Path said that it would likely die in the first round of combat. The reward is two wishes, and we were at a loss.

What would a party wish for? We were more or less at a loss. Our Gunslinger asked for a better gun and the Summoner wanted an extra Evo point for the Eidolon.

We also ran into an Adult Silver Dragon. We really should have died. The DM said the encounter table is really weird. Lots of stuff that wouldn't fight you, or were way tougher than what the party should face.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: April 25, 2017, 05:14:41 pm »

The DM said the encounter table is really weird. Lots of stuff that wouldn't fight you

A LOT of modern encounter tables include friendlies and other such stuff.

If it wouldn't fight you, typically it wouldn't fight you (unless something else is going on)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: April 25, 2017, 05:39:25 pm »

I'm not super familiar with DnD - is the encounter table meant just for combat encounters? Seems to me you could do a lot of interesting stuff with that. Maybe the dragon wants something from you - maybe it's looking for something and comes to interrogate you, not to eat you... unless you piss it off. Would make a nifty social encounter, maybe a plot hook for the future too. Or maybe it's under a curse or obligation (are silver dragons Lawful?) and can't engage in its usual evil behavior.

Wait, aren't metallic dragons good in DnD? How'd your DM even justify it attacking you?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: April 25, 2017, 05:42:03 pm »

SD are also pretty territorial, but you are right in that the encounter table can and should be adapted based on the DMs needs, not usually a good idea to use it exclusively for combat honestly.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: April 25, 2017, 05:44:58 pm »

I'm not super familiar with DnD - is the encounter table meant just for combat encounters? Seems to me you could do a lot of interesting stuff with that. Maybe the dragon wants something from you - maybe it's looking for something and comes to interrogate you, not to eat you... unless you piss it off. Would make a nifty social encounter, maybe a plot hook for the future too. Or maybe it's under a curse or obligation (are silver dragons Lawful?) and can't engage in its usual evil behavior.

Wait, aren't metallic dragons good in DnD? How'd your DM even justify it attacking you?

Encounters are just... that... They are what you encounter during your exploration. In classic dungeons and dragons it was monsters... because... well that was the only thing you were doing.

Modern encounter tables will often include things like friendlies or even random treasure as things you can run across.

As for how a DM could justify a good creature attacking you...

I should remind you that ONE of the metallic dragons will eat you... if you bore it or show bad manners (Gold Dragons :P yes... the "Goodest" ones will totally do that). So good isn't as pacifistic or even reasonable as the people who book beat "Stupid Stupid" good alignments into the community 24 hours a day.

Maybe the Silver dragon smelled that one of your ancestors was evil, and considers you evil (Totally within the good alignment to think that way AND that is one of the Metalic dragon's abilities)... Maybe that Silver Dragon wasn't good (there are plenty of not good metallic dragons)... Maybe it was under some sort of mind control, delirium, or disease... or maybe it was just hungry.

Once again... dnd doesn't conform to the "stupid stupid" alignments if you do more then just read the alignment sections. Though this is because alignment is constantly contradicted and confused as to what it has to be even within the story and rules.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: April 25, 2017, 06:13:03 pm »

neo, no alignment discussions.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: April 25, 2017, 06:14:33 pm »

You just broke your own rule!

I didn't break it, you did! It wasn't a discussion until you put your 2 cents in right now.

So stop it before you ban yourself from this topic!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:16:42 pm by Neonivek »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:43 pm »

...Moving on,

I've solved a few encounters by feeding some dragons gems. My party members weren't happy about it but we got out of there, being level 9, against a Huge bronze dragon (dragons didn't really have the same alignments as they did in that campaign as usual)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: April 25, 2017, 06:29:53 pm »

Reasonable solution.  Dragons love gems, dragons do not hate or care for you.

Our GM generally ignored loot tables, though also the entire XP system.  Loot generally came from us robbing people (*usually* bad guys, though sometimes...) or because we took down some evil spellcaster who, naturally, had also sorts of crazy magic items strewn about.  Useful, and also failed experiments- unlabelled, naturally, because the owner was a super genius.

He was kinda generous with said magic items, though they were mostly (even chargen ones) customized to be... quirky.  In some cases, extremely.  I think the wizard for a while had a cat amulet which took a memory in exchange for granting a reroll.  It had a key eye for memories which would cause hijinks... very feline.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: April 25, 2017, 06:31:43 pm »

Interestingly enough, and not used enough, each dragon actually has preferences of treasure they enjoy.

and when I say not used enough... I mean... for example one dragon actually prefers to collect seashells and coral. Wouldn't that be an interesting stash to get?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: April 25, 2017, 09:11:56 pm »

So in my last pathfinder session, my character died. We're doing the Carrion Crown and there these Relics for these super bad Haunts. And one of them, is from what I can tell, the dnd version of the DeathNote. Except it also eats spells.  The original PC that had it, went into a coma, partialy because of the book partially because they dont show up very often. And so my character was trying to make them as comfrotable as possible, and they were clutching the Deathnote. I wasnt thinking or appericating that the relic would attach itself to a new person.

And it attached to me. My character a rogue so I dont have any spells to lose. So then we bought this slow spell. We discover this spot near the town where recently dead pets and animals couldnt come to rest. And a slow spell would solve it. Except right now, no one is an arcane spell caster. So its all a Use Magic Device check. I being the rogue, have the highest UMD and took the spell. The spell we just spent 250 gold on. And mind you, we've been super cash poor. We broke open a safe, and got 500 gold and it was the most money we've gotten this entire campaign.  So I grabbed it, and the Deathnote ate the spell. It wasn't actually eaten. I firmly believed it was Eaten. And the scroll was blank. I refuse to let anyone have it.

But I was able to let the rest of the party beat me unconscience so they could take it.
And I died instead of being subdued.

I was brought outside and the gm and I had a talk.
I was told I wake up and told that some time has passed and that my friends have moved on. The local church had resurrested me, and I now owed them a great debt for this service I havent asked for.

I lived that life for 3 years.

Then I suddendly woke up in the house, dark alone. I screamed till I was horse, then quitely sobbed.

Fine times.

Then we manage to kill one of the haunts. Which surprise us. Somehow casting the slow spell manage to kill one of the haunts. And then we went back into the Prison and manage to kill one more. It was over their own pit dungeon with its mangaled arms and legs. And as it attacked us, it did Bleed Damage to restore itself. Kind of cool. Eventuall the rest of the party disengage from the Haunt, as we werent hurting it, and just being sources for it to heal itself.

Then we came back to this closed secruity grate, made out of heavy wood. The wenchy system was broken. And one of the players finally remembered that they had the Engineering skill, the knowledge skill needed to solve this problem. And then after he rolls that successfully, we ended up just decided to spend like 10 hours buring the gate down.

Also, uh, I forgot I am suppose to have a feat at third level, in Pathfinder. I just took my Rogue Trait.

And so then I looked at the feats, and like wow, fuck that noise. No idea what to pick.

I just went through Pazio wikia list, and just picked what sounded cool. Could totally use help with that.

My stats are like

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 10, Wis 14, Cha 16. I'm a 3rd level Rogue, and my race is Sulu and my aligment is NG. I already have Weapon Finess.

I was considering a few feats.

Alterness. Skill Focus: Diplomancy,  Sacred Sneak Attack (There a feat that lets me pick a nother Rogue Trait), Bleed. This is nother rogue trait that lets me add Bleed affect to Sneak Attack. And Esoteric Knowledge. Lets me roll any knowledge skill once a day. Suli Racial Trait that I forget the name of that gives me a bonus to diplo or bluff for someone that I've known less then an hour.
The one that sounded the dumbest and coolest, is called Possessed Hand. Basically a ghost lives in my hand, and get +1 to attack damage, disable device and sleight of hand. And it can get shit out of inventory.

But honestly have no fuckin idea what to pick. Open to suggestions.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: April 25, 2017, 09:56:33 pm »

You just broke your own rule!

I didn't break it, you did! It wasn't a discussion until you put your 2 cents in right now.

So stop it before you ban yourself from this topic!
Seriously Null. You're your own worst enemy with this. You start more fights than anyone in this thread and then get upset when people call you out for it.

Interestingly enough, and not used enough, each dragon actually has preferences of treasure they enjoy.

and when I say not used enough... I mean... for example one dragon actually prefers to collect seashells and coral. Wouldn't that be an interesting stash to get?
This is actually interesting. Is this in the draconomicon or is this solely just in the Monster Manual?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: April 25, 2017, 10:41:57 pm »

I assume that was a misattribution, since NFO didn't bring up alignment at all...

And while the alignment portion of Neo's statement was fairly tame, alignment discussions have a proven tendency to explode, and they have a containment thread for that reason.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: April 25, 2017, 11:42:10 pm »

*MC stuffs the alignment discussion in a box and locks it, setting the loot discussion on top of it*

That's actually one of the things I really liked about the DnD 5e rulebook, is that it had a "trinket" section of just random crap that you could throw in with loot for more RP reason than any kind of practicality reasons.
Like mummified goblin hands, or voodoo dolls, or items that are cleverly out-of-place modern technology, like a small tube with a metal disc at the top that clicks when spun (an empty lighter).

Not quite "dragon horde of beach shit" but still cool.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: April 26, 2017, 02:50:13 am »

I love loot. I love getting it and giving it out. Because of this, I like to use creative stuff when building loot tables for an area. I found an awesome resource that others might like to use in their games too, though it's mainly suited for Pathfinder or other D&D. I like to fill the dungeon with minor items of value, and familiarise my players with the Appraise skill. These reddit posts are a great starting point to draw inspiration from which to build your own loot lists. I've included the contents below.

Spoiler: Minor Treasure Table (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 623