Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845567 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3825 on: May 09, 2017, 07:54:46 am »

Pfft, as if mere rope and a shitton of nonlethal damage could hold a proper Vigilante. They've got Escape Artist as a class skill!

Best case scenario, the Vigibro can sabotage their airship while they're on board! Especially if they don't watch him closely. If they do, his trusty halfling sidekick (or cadre of loyal halfling operatives, in any case freed from servitude and thus eternally loyal to their charming rescuer) can show up to bail him out.

Or do both, have the halfling sidekick/halfling operatives sic the diabolists on the PCs under the pretext of them cooperating with Fantasy Zorro (so they bring in the big devils to bring him to justice) while simultaneously mounting a rescue operation in the chaos.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:57:30 am by Harry Baldman »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: May 09, 2017, 10:55:03 pm »

That sounds like the sort of insane shit that happened in my highschool D&D group. :P

It's fun when you're playing as a Lawful Evil cleric and somehow wind up as the moral compass of the party, simply by virtue of being the only sane one surrounded by a bunch of chaotic "good" dumbasses with poor judgement.
I miss that.

Made me realize the chaotic good and lawful evil are basically the same alignment, it's just that one is being honest about wanting the world to burn.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: May 09, 2017, 11:01:00 pm »

Vigibro

Isn't that a Dragon Ball Z character?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: May 10, 2017, 03:27:35 pm »

That sounds like the sort of insane shit that happened in my highschool D&D group. :P

It's fun when you're playing as a Lawful Evil cleric and somehow wind up as the moral compass of the party, simply by virtue of being the only sane one surrounded by a bunch of chaotic "good" dumbasses with poor judgement.
I miss that.

Made me realize the chaotic good and lawful evil are basically the same alignment, it's just that one is being honest about wanting the world to burn.
Explains why chaotic good players always tend to be the bane of my existence in most of my games I'm a player in.

I've seen CG played well. I've seen a lot of alignments played well. But the worst offender is someone who plays LE and then does chaotic evil stuff and says "it's within my character's code" but they never tell the DM/GM what that actually entails.

I'm sure I shared it where the LE oracle locked the entire party, save his fiancé out of game, in a room without any chance of escaping. And we only got out after he had to end his spell on a prisoner of his who freed us because the DM got mad and sent a sphinx after him

He proceeded to cheat the riddles and got through.

I should also bring this to the table:

Should players be allowed to make skill checks to solve riddles? I mean like "twins standing at crossroad, one leads to hell, one to heaven, one tells only truths, one lies" type riddles, not like a teleport puzzle.

I personally think they shouldn't, even if people claim "my character has higher intelligence than I do"
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: May 10, 2017, 03:31:27 pm »

It does seem like a cop-out, and I am normally extremely against playing to the roll, the skill checks are there for a reason and as much as it kills the engagement, I'd probably allow it in some cases.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: May 10, 2017, 03:36:21 pm »

I'd only give a hint of it was related to their backstory.

Like the riddle about Honor. If they came from a warrior based culture or they themselves were an Honor based person, then I would say "it sounds like something you know of" and that's about it on my end

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: May 10, 2017, 03:37:41 pm »

Provided they are comfortable with skill and knowledge checks whenever they encounter a situation their character might know less than them about, why not?

:P
One wheel short of a wagon

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: May 10, 2017, 03:40:30 pm »

I've been in this situation many, many times. In the end, I just started coming up with hints that players could unlock with varying rolls. You could never get a riddle solved for you completely, but you could make it so that it was multiple choice, or some such shenanigans.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: May 10, 2017, 03:52:35 pm »

Should players be allowed to make skill checks to solve riddles? I mean like "twins standing at crossroad, one leads to hell, one to heaven, one tells only truths, one lies" type riddles, not like a teleport puzzle.

I personally think they shouldn't, even if people claim "my character has higher intelligence than I do"
Yes, or at least, they should be able to get some very strong hints.

If someone has to make a performance check to play music, you don't expect them to have to play sick riffs on a guitar in real life.
I'm personally shit at riddles, but that doesn't mean all my characters have to be.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: May 10, 2017, 03:59:28 pm »

If someone has to make a performance check to play music, you don't expect them to have to play sick riffs on a guitar in real life.
I'm personally shit at riddles, but that doesn't mean all my characters have to be.

This. You're just gonna make your player frustrated if you force them to solve something they're not good at. I can imagine them feeling humiliated, too, if others treat it as obvious. Not a great situation to put a group in. Plus even if they're good at that sort of thing, they might be coming to the game so they can turn that part of their brain off.

Building cool puzzles, riddles, etc. is fun and all, but no-one's going to like them if they feel forced down your throat.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: May 10, 2017, 04:52:12 pm »

I feel like the right way to do it is to have the puzzle be interacted with at least at first if it's something like a teleport puzzle. Once the players have played with it and -should- have an idea of how to bust it, but are stumped, INT or knowledge checks could be used for hinting at the proper way to solve the puzzle.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: May 10, 2017, 05:13:05 pm »

Victory is meaningless if there's no chance of failure.

If you're planning an encounter that has something other than combat, such as a riddle, allow for the chance that nobody can solve it. Consequences might be you need to fight a particularly hard battle instead, or set off a trap.

Personally, I've never had any problems caused by underestimating my players' intelligence.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: May 10, 2017, 05:15:29 pm »

Ok this isn't a counter argument to your sentiment just of this line.

There is "flourishing". An Artist will always be able to paint a canvas, there is no chance they will fail at that. Yet the real challenge is how good you can paint it.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: May 10, 2017, 05:33:48 pm »

I'm more or less with Jimmy on this one. If you want your puzzles solvable with a skill check, you need to throw the player-side challenge somewhere else. Personally I just let INT checks give hints, but never a solution, but try to ensure there's always another option than actually solving the puzzle.

That said, for my group at least, they'd almost always find a way to bypass my puzzles other than what I'd planned. It's worth remembering that just because something isn't 'the solution' it can still be a solution and should be rewarded as heavily (ie. the careful application of high explosives to the riddle locked door :P )

EDIT: For me, it's about player involvement: if the players don't have to meaningfully interact with the puzzle to get past it, why even have it there at all.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: May 10, 2017, 05:59:29 pm »

Ok this isn't a counter argument to your sentiment just of this line.

There is "flourishing". An Artist will always be able to paint a canvas, there is no chance they will fail at that. Yet the real challenge is how good you can paint it.
This isn't a paintng we're talking about. This is a riddle, and its either you get it right or you get it wrong.

Dropping hints is the best I do, even if they crit. Because the guy I mentioned earlier who cheated used a die roller instead of rolling dice, and I'm convinced he does it until he succeeds. Reason being he says he "rolls in advance", and when he crit that, no one was happy with him.

This. You're just gonna make your player frustrated if you force them to solve something they're not good at. I can imagine them feeling humiliated, too, if others treat it as obvious. Not a great situation to put a group in. Plus even if they're good at that sort of thing, they might be coming to the game so they can turn that part of their brain off.

Building cool puzzles, riddles, etc. is fun and all, but no-one's going to like them if they feel forced down your throat.
I disagree, only because when it comes down to it, riddles aren't just "memorizing the answer". The riddle about one tells truths and the other lies is clearly a logic riddle. But most other riddles, like the ones Gollum gives in the hobbit, aren't all based on smarts. This is why in Norse Mythology, Odin seeks WISDOM, and he does so in some cases by asking and answering riddles.

A friend of mine says do both a wisdom and intelligence check, but that doesn't do anything but have it as a stupid "roll to solve all your problems" and it comes down to a die roll.

And at that point, its "character with highest intelligence knows everything because they rolled good on their stats". I also prefer having players talking to one another to sort it out. Sadly, I do know what its like when a player feels insulted when they don't know the answer to something (I tend to be that player sometimes). But at the same time, if you put no effort into trying to figure stuff out because you want to rush everything, than maybe YOU'RE the problem.

But lets say I let you roll. That means you can roll until you figure it out every ten minutes in game. Unless you're under duress (which most of the time, you aren't in these cases). And even if the person with the highest intelligence doesn't succeed, you let everyone else be allowed to do so, which means they're gonna solve it and your point of having the riddle, which is having the players figure it out, is useless. So why not just have a lock that needs to be picked or even something else that makes more sense to roll for?

I do need to make a point; if you're giving riddles that are really hard, then you need to think about the collective mind of your players and how smart they are. My group is literally baffling me with how abstract they tackle everything, and its safe to say a basic riddle shouldn't stop them. They should be able to figure out riddles like presented in the hobbit or even the dark tower (which I took a couple from, and the riddle I presented them was the Shadow riddle from the dark tower series and I literally added on a stanza to say to cast your shadow over a point. I had a player rage quit right away though, but thats besides the point).

To me, its not a matter of "how smart is your character" but "how well can they take the information give them, and use it both logically and abstractly to solve the puzzle", which I don't think there is an actual check unless your game has an actual "riddles" skill

I'm more or less with Jimmy on this one. If you want your puzzles solvable with a skill check, you need to throw the player-side challenge somewhere else. Personally I just let INT checks give hints, but never a solution, but try to ensure there's always another option than actually solving the puzzle.

That said, for my group at least, they'd almost always find a way to bypass my puzzles other than what I'd planned. It's worth remembering that just because something isn't 'the solution' it can still be a solution and should be rewarded as heavily (ie. the careful application of high explosives to the riddle locked door :P )

EDIT: For me, it's about player involvement: if the players don't have to meaningfully interact with the puzzle to get past it, why even have it there at all.
I agree; the players do need to interact with it a bit and start making ideas on it before I drop a hint or two, but I won't outright give them the answer (which is what I should have clarified my statement was on...)

Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 623