Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848909 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Axes or railguns?
« Reply #4275 on: July 22, 2017, 07:46:06 am »

None, it's going to be everyone's first game. I want to start at level 1 but I can change that if you think it's a good idea (Nobody's starting with magical items though. My players will only be reading the handbook). Session can be as long as it needs to be, I'd say 3-6 hours.

Well, you can start at level 1, just be sure to make sure they level up immediately after the first session.

Though it'd also be helpful to know which edition we're talking here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: July 22, 2017, 10:31:28 am »

Well, you can start at level 1, just be sure to make sure they level up immediately after the first session.

Why make sure to level up immediately after the first session?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: July 22, 2017, 11:20:29 am »

None, it's going to be everyone's first game. I want to start at level 1 but I can change that if you think it's a good idea (Nobody's starting with magical items though. My players will only be reading the handbook). Session can be as long as it needs to be, I'd say 3-6 hours.

Though it'd also be helpful to know which edition we're talking here.

Currently I'm torn between 3.5 and fifth edition (I know, very helpful). I would normally choose fifth edition, but the only book I have is a phb that my friend lent me for a previous DnD game that never materialized. While for 3.5, I have all the core books. One of my friends insists I can just run DnD with just the phb, but I'm not so sure about that.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: July 22, 2017, 11:23:24 am »

There's a 5e SRD, but if you have all the 3.5 rulebooks, you'll probably be better off with those.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: July 22, 2017, 01:05:56 pm »

Why make sure to level up immediately after the first session?

Because being level 1 is terrible and the sooner you get out of it the better. The fact that it's terrible, however, is something you can use to your advantage to make that first levelup that much more satisfying. Level 2 is particularly important because it's the only level that effectively doubles your HP, and having a rapid progression for the first couple levels works well because they're built to be gone through relatively quickly, unlocking most of your basic class features. Especially the case in 5E where that applies to most of your important class features for all classes.

Currently I'm torn between 3.5 and fifth edition (I know, very helpful). I would normally choose fifth edition, but the only book I have is a phb that my friend lent me for a previous DnD game that never materialized. While for 3.5, I have all the core books. One of my friends insists I can just run DnD with just the phb, but I'm not so sure about that.

Play whichever you're more familiar with, it makes the game smoother if you have a good grasp on the rules.

Also the DM's Guide for 5E is mostly supplementary information, it does have pointers for encounter design and helpful suggestions for variant rules, but it's not completely indispensable.

You might want to get your hands on a Monster Manual for 5E though, that's pretty useful to have a look through even if you could theoretically improvise the details, but for prep you can just as well use the SRD (it has pretty much everything that's in the MM, the mechanical bits from the DM's Guide and the PHB's information in a more easily navigable form, particularly for spells, although there are mistakes in there too): http://5e.d20srd.org/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:07:57 pm by Harry Baldman »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: July 22, 2017, 01:30:05 pm »

Persopnally I'd say 5e is a better system in the first place, so go with that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: July 23, 2017, 02:38:22 am »

5e is much quicker to learn in my opinion and I'd definitely recommend it more for first-timers?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: July 23, 2017, 08:30:47 am »

We haven't actually played 5e yet still, but from what we've seen so far, it's probably a better place to start.  3.5e is more technical (even before you get into the billion optional splat books).  I'm still leery of some of the ways they streamlined, such as "advantage", but it's still got almost all the meat of 3.5e with a lot less of the hassle.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: July 23, 2017, 09:54:46 am »

I haven't been paying much attention to 5E, but is it still stuck at the basic classes, basic races stage? I like having plenty of options when creating characters.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: July 23, 2017, 10:00:23 am »

I haven't been paying much attention to 5E, but is it still stuck at the basic classes, basic races stage? I like having plenty of options when creating characters.

Nah, PHB's been out for years now if that's what you're asking about, and we've got a fairly minor splatbook in the form of Volo's Guide to Monsters which gives a couple cool races. In addition to that there's been a bunch of Unearthed Arcana material that's shaping up to be put together into a new book, including the Mystic which actually looks really good.

Overall it's still a bit lacking in options, but with UA and whatever their new book is it'll probably look a lot better.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: July 23, 2017, 11:33:50 am »

I prefer it when the first session's character gen is a contest to see who can bring the most bizarre adventurer.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: July 23, 2017, 11:42:24 am »

I prefer it when the first session's character gen is a contest to see who can bring the most bizarre adventurer.
Also, each class has a bunch of "packages" that can be picked at levels 1, 2 or 3 (depending on the class). They can change things around quite a bit. For instance, Nature Domain for clerics turns you into a mini-druid. Meanwhile, sorcerers can act as if they're dragon disciples if they pick the right origin.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: July 23, 2017, 12:39:12 pm »

Speaking of "interesting" characters I'm playing a game where I have a cleric of RNG, complete with a holy d20. It's awesome...

The GM has tables to roll against whenever I roll my holy die, which produces all kinds of bizarre effects. Also it's great to be able to legitimately call upon RNG when rolling for something (not that it actually helps). Obviously the game isn't terribly serious, but half the fun of this character is to play him straight, leaning on the fourth wall (too much) is best avoided...

Anyway, this is one of the first RPGs I've played, and I really like it so far. Mostly because of this character.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: July 23, 2017, 05:24:06 pm »

While there aren't many classes, unearthed arcana released so many archetypes over the past year last year that they had about a new thing every week for a bit.

I do get how the desire to have more options is a desire, but the two new classes they're working on, Mystic and Artificer, are awesome but either too weak to really use long term OR they're a little broken. It depends on what you do, really.

As for races, Volo's Guide to Monsters released monstorous races (goblin, kobold, etc) and unearthed arcana brought more races as well (warforged, shifters, and more)

So there are options officially released by Wizards, but they're hidden in campaign books, Monster Manuals (I consider Volo's guide a MM), Campaign Guides and in unearthed arcana.

However, this also leads to your friend finding a bunch of homebrews thinking they're unearthed arcana and trying to use a class that says "I get 3/4 feats at level 1 and I have a dragon" before even fully reading into it
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: July 24, 2017, 05:30:12 am »

Speaking of "interesting" characters I'm playing a game where I have a cleric of RNG, complete with a holy d20. It's awesome...
I like it! Reminds me of the Goblins comic where the cleric's deity is the DM. I'm assuming your cleric worships RNGesus and his domains are madness and luck?
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 623