Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845483 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5880 on: October 16, 2018, 10:35:24 pm »

IE, the owner of the dungeon knows all about the trap. It is there for adventurers that he does not want to deal with personally. (think, arrogant mage type.) He does not want to hire minions, they cost money and ask questions.  Instead, he can just keep dangerous creatures down there, and the fact that they are starving with no way out just makes them all the more interested in eating whatever falls down the chute.  Bonus if the creatures are smart enough to actively hunt adventurers that fall down there, AND are impervious to asking or being asked questions, since then adventurers could not ask them or compel them to divulge any way in or out other than the chute.

This would be a trap that is for a more hard-core group though. Kinda like the rouge-like of pen and paper sessions.
F'rex, the gelatinous cube, because there's always room for Jell-O.  A gelatinous cube down the 10'x10' pit is a classic example of adventurer and waste disposal all in one.  Need to clean around the tower?  Free-range gelatinous cubes will keep your corridors spic and span, as long as they span 10'.  A gelatinous cube over (or under, but the mental image of a suspended gelatinous cube is funnier) the front door will solve all your problems with solicitors, and as long as you have acid immunity, they make handy carry-alls: just plop whatever (inorganic) thing you need inside of them until you need to pull it out.  Best of all, if you're the sort of anti-social or hoity-toity sort that doesn't want to see the hired help, they're transparent enough that you need an appropriate skill check (based on edition) to even see it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: October 17, 2018, 07:17:15 am »

I hate using gelatinous cubes as a surprise encounter.

The players always see right through it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: October 17, 2018, 07:28:37 am »

Well, yeah-- they are gelatinous cubes-- they tend to be rather translucent.

You fix that with a good illusion spell, and make them part of a wall in a dark corridor or something.  They feel their way along, and SHLURP! Suddenly the bard is missing!

/kidding

I do like the idea of them being at the bottom (and occupying the entire space down there, so it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to NOT land on it) of a rather nasty fall-away floor.  I imagine a big pile of loot that is being held up by a rather powerful levitation spell, enticing people to enter the room. Since the treasure weighs nothing (as far as the floor trap is concerned, since it is held up by magic) but adventurers DO have weight, it can be a VERY sensitive trap.  Give it a good 3 round "fuse" so that they think they are safe after entering the room-- then FLOOM! Down they go-- treasure stays where it is, suspended by the levitation. Once no weight is on the floor, it resets.

No muss, no fuss.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: October 17, 2018, 07:32:21 am »

Gets messy when you have a party member capable of casting Summon Monster. A 1st level wand is a really cheap trap finding tool.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: October 20, 2018, 12:27:22 pm »

Introducing: The Yoyo!

Requirements are 6th level Tempest Domain Cleric, and 1 level of Sorcerer, Warlock or Wizard.

Cast Lightning Lure to bring a creature up to 10' closer to you. If it's within 5 feet of you after the pull, deal lightning damage. When dealing lightning damage to a Large or smaller creature, you can move it up to 10' away from you for free.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: October 21, 2018, 05:54:30 am »

If you wanted to make Artix von Krieger in DnD 5e, would you be able to do so? If so, how?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: October 21, 2018, 06:00:22 am »

"Von Krieger"
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: October 21, 2018, 07:26:46 am »

If you wanted to make Artix von Krieger in DnD 5e, would you be able to do so? If so, how?

Well, first up, (since he is clearly fighting skeletal mages here) you are going to have to arm him with something OTHER than that pig sticker he is waving around. Bladed weapons do half-damage to skeletal enemies. I would personally suggest a mace of disruption, but that's just me.

Since this guy is clearly a paladin of some kind, I would start there.  He appears to have access to the Spiritual Weapon spell (and at a fairly high level to take out a big bad, AND the conjuror with it). That's in the evocation domain, so keep that in mind. Also appears to have the Lucky feat, Defensive Duelist feat, and Great Weapon Master feat. He's wearing heavy armor, so I would take that feat too. Appears to have proficiency with long swords and war-hammers.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: October 21, 2018, 07:36:38 am »

A Paladin of Devotion with a few levels in Shadow Sorcerer. "Warrior fighting against his destiny to cast the world in darkness" is a completely valid character concept. It's actually pretty easy to make something resembling him, but in 5e, the classes aren't as customizable as in earlier editions and Pathfinder, so a mechanically perfect match would require homebrewing.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: October 21, 2018, 08:14:48 am »

Had our yearly Halloween session. Mansions were explored. Giant beetles were fought. Sacrificed babies were discovered. I was mind controlled into pummeling another party member into unconsciousness.

It went well!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:10 am »

I did not plan on running a Halloween session but I guess that's what I'm going to end up doing.

First session of Shadows Over Sol is tomorrow. It'll probably be mostly character creation and then a bit of RP and investigation.

The second session, two days before Halloween, will involve the PCs' first experience with a gengineered killing machine.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: October 21, 2018, 01:50:59 pm »

Well, first up, (since he is clearly fighting skeletal mages here) you are going to have to arm him with something OTHER than that pig sticker he is waving around. Bladed weapons do half-damage to skeletal enemies. I would personally suggest a mace of disruption, but that's just me.
It's actually the other way around for skeletons. They have no resistances, but they're vulnerable to bludgeoning. So a sword would do just fine, but a mace would do better, though it's not required.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: October 22, 2018, 07:06:32 pm »

Well, that didn't last long. Of the five people I had lined up, only one made it.

Please, people, go to an event if you RSVP.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: October 22, 2018, 08:25:40 pm »

i've been running The Sprawl for both irl and online friends

today i evoked actual emotional response from one player and thus i have concluded i have succeeded in GMing and may move on to bigger, better things
edit: also i'm gonna be playing a wod game for the first time and am moderately looking forward to it but cant pick between a hunter or a vampire, i'm leaning hunter
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:29:09 pm by KingofstarrySkies »
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: October 22, 2018, 08:38:14 pm »

Mixing WoD lines isn't recommended. Is this something your GM (or whatever it's called for this line) called out as being okay?
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 623