Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845511 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8535 on: February 07, 2021, 08:53:25 am »

Oh, certainly. It does absolutely streamline the process significantly, and I approve of such efforts and intentions.

It's slightly inhibited by the fact that they went ahead and did add flat bonuses to things on top of that, but it's still far easier to keep track of for the most part. Doesn't stop it from looking a bit silly at times though.

Had a round last week, which ended up going into an apparently improvised trip to the elemental plane of water and a *very* improvised return from said plane a few minutes later, as the DM had apparently not expected the players to immediately jump blindly into the very-obviously-a-portal whirlpool (I'm really not sure what other possible course of action he could have predicted). I got to play around with Light a bit, which while it hasn't strictly speaking been a great deal of use this campaign, has certainly proven to be a very versatile and fun tool to muck with. Has so far still not been used for actually illuminating any dark areas.

I've also been fiddling with a couple character concepts, and somewhere along the line I got it into my head to try working out how best to exemplify a sort of stereotypical witch using 5e classes and archetypes. As it stands, I'm actually leaning rather towards Druid, particularly Wildfire Druid... Not only do you get fun abilities like the very thematic--if not super powerful--Produce Flame (hey, it's witchfire!), there's also classical witchy stuff like communing with or even turning into animals. But what I found out I really liked about the subclass is the level 10 ability that lets you sacrifice a goat to heal someone for 2d10+WIS. May not be the healiest of heals, but it's got loads of style!

I feel that Warlock feeds into a different side of traditional witchiness, such as familiars and having bargained their soul for unnatural powers, which is also fun... Speaking of which, has anyone gotten the chance to really play around with Investment of the Chain Master yet?

On the other side of things, I've been looking at small rune knights, for no other reason than because I think it's funny that it simply sets the size to Large instead of going up one step. And since it ties in with grappling as much as it does, small grapplers are additionally very entertaining. Gnome seems like a solid go-to since you get the advantage on mental saves vs. spells, but if you can wing it grung looks like it could be pretty cheesy for a grappling build... You've got advantage on Athletics checks to keep them grappled, they've (possibly) got disadvantage on whatever check they're trying to use to get out. Then you can shank them with bonus (save vs.) poison damage, because playable grungs are well-designed like that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: February 07, 2021, 08:56:05 am »

* scriver adds witchy stuff to his planned wildfire druid stuff
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: February 07, 2021, 12:28:17 pm »

Adventure idea: You are trapped on an airship in the elemental plane of snakes
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8538 on: February 07, 2021, 02:42:10 pm »

Could also go pyromancy & grab polymorph. Same feel as druid but with less encumbrance from fire resistance

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: February 07, 2021, 02:46:32 pm »

For the love of god do not land the fucking airship this is not a drill

Just kidding, I have the Ring of Snake Friendship so it's fine.

An NPC wild shaped into a killer whale after being swallowed by a giant shark in my last session. Things got...messy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: February 07, 2021, 02:49:49 pm »

Could also go pyromancy & grab polymorph. Same feel as druid but with less encumbrance from fire resistance

Not enough spirits!
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8541 on: February 07, 2021, 05:25:58 pm »

So my party and I planned very well to investigate a mansion full of zombies Resident Evil style that had a huge poetic beholder in it. Had some banterous poetry with it Romeo and Juliet style (throwing the poems in through the window attached to a brick). At a barricade, my priest centaur held the line with the heavily armoured warlock as both of us were unstealthy as fuck and would certainly alert the zombies. The paladin and wizard stealthed ahead to investigate. The warlock decided to break ranks and inevitably disturbed all the zombies. This resulted in a fight with three zombie hordes and the beholder, which quickly turns into a dire battle as the paladin is depressed, lost all his buffs from antimagic cone, the wizard is mobbed by zombies, the warlock is being ignored by his patron. In order to save the paladin I knock over the zombie horde, go ethereal, meet the warlock's patron who decides to help by crashing the roof on the beholder, do a heroic charge on the beholder and get disintegrated next turn in one shot. After that, the warlock remembers the plan to throw flour in the beholder's eye & the paladin remembers smite.
Pleasingly the whole party was so distraught that they tried to collect the dust midbattle and started excellent RP over whose fault it was

10/10 last words were "it's time to rock the roof"

*EDIT
RPd "going home" whilst in the afterlife. Met some dude who gave me centaur new shoes after I did a whole wayfaring stranger bit. Afterlife aint so bad

*EDITx2
So now, what should my next char be I wonder. The party's chilling in an area full of cultists and dead people, so there's only a three viable options.
1. Friendly NPC pyromancer. Generally don't want to take over this NPC because they already have established relationship and personality with one of the party member's backstories
2. Some cultist, which the DM vetoed because they would have to give deepeest lore about the mystery we are yet to fully uncover
3. A dead person. I've long got on my "to do list" of stupid char concepts a bitchy banshee named Brittineć, which cannot leave a 5 mile radius of where they died. Normally that'd be a static location, but if they were buried alive, then I can have some next level Django memes where the party drags a coffin around to keep the radius moving
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:30:31 am by Loud Whispers »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: February 08, 2021, 06:33:27 am »

...Would centaur wear horse shoes or normal shoes? Would they consider horse shoes denigrating?
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: February 08, 2021, 07:00:33 am »

A horse shoe protects the hoof from damage, wear and pain, just as a human shoe does, so I don't think they'd consider the idea in general denigrating. I'd imagine they wouldn't be attached with nails, though, and the design may be different as you don't have to worry about an unintelligent animal trying to remove it by itself. Perhaps there would be fashionable centaur shoe designs? I don't think a centaur would wear human shoes (if that's what you mean by 'normal') but I can definitely imagine someone making a set of centaur shoes that looks like human sneakers for vanity.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: February 08, 2021, 08:22:05 am »

Normal, in this case, to my mind means made from leather and enveloping the foot (I mean I know horses foots begin up on the leg, so not the anatomical foot, the purpose-tomical foot, the part we walk and stand on).

Leaher slippers for everyday and iron shoes for war?

SOLDIERS! ARM YOURSELF! GRAB YOUR SPEARS! NAIL ON YOUR WAR SHOES!
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: February 08, 2021, 08:37:28 am »

"Let me just go slip into something a little more... comfortable..."

...*CLANG*

*CLANG*

*CLANG*

*CLANG*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8546 on: February 08, 2021, 08:41:55 am »

...Would centaur wear horse shoes or normal shoes? Would they consider horse shoes denigrating?
Probably horseshoes, unless they're willing to go through the hassle of buckling shoes on and off every day. Don't think it'd be denigrating, any more than most human cultures that developed bodymod jewelry or nail adornments. It would probably elevate the status of farriers in society though, as skilled farriers would have demand from much higher paying and much more demanding clients than the usual horse. Like IcyTea says they'd probably not use nails, especially since hoof sandals & boots predate nailed horseshoes. I could definitely see a disparity in the cultural acceptance of horseshoes amongst centaurs that travel between civilisations (high road travel, access to farriers, probably use horseshoes with nails as a prestige symbol), centaurs that roam the wilderness (no shoes at all, views them with disdain) and those in between (horse boots, no strong feelings either way).

"Let me just go slip into something a little more... comfortable..."

...*CLANG*

*CLANG*

*CLANG*

*CLANG*
Time to infiltrate the mansion sneaky like

*TING* *TING* *TING* *TING*

...What?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: February 08, 2021, 09:37:09 am »

loooool hipposandal
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: February 08, 2021, 10:12:36 am »

My satyr character originally went shoeless (particularly no *iron* shoes) due to being fey and all.  Even if it's not cold iron, the concept remained disgusting.

He did eventually have some looted magical boots custom-fit at great expense, though that was late in his run.  I suppose they were buckled.  Hm... can a satyr easily reach their hooves?  Easier than a centaur I'm sure, and of course he only required two.

Still, I wonder if he ever had a proper hoof cleaning.  Horses love it and it looks like it would feel *incredible* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgjmISsxsMI
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: February 08, 2021, 10:48:25 am »

Wouldn't satyrs have cloves, though?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 623