Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687385 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8415 on: March 07, 2020, 02:32:11 am »

-snip-
To add to this, on a technical level hyperdrive-only makes pathfinding a lot simpler.  And under the hood I imagine distance calculations were a huge problem.  Since under the old system the distance between two stars couldn't be represented as a single number, but rather had to be represented by 2 + number of wormhole civs values.  Which sounds like some kind of abstract physics problem.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8416 on: March 07, 2020, 07:47:00 am »

-snip-
And under the hood I imagine distance calculations were a huge problem.
Indeed, in fact one of the stated reasons for removing wormhole FTL was that it caused massive slowdowns while calculating possible paths for the AI.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 04:14:24 pm by forsaken1111 »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: March 08, 2020, 03:39:10 pm »

Those AI improvements sound fantastic. A real step forward.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: March 10, 2020, 07:56:51 am »

So I went and decided to boot this up on my new comp.  Got steam working fine.  Got my dlc in order.  Load -> crash on launcher.  Exception log says its a memory access problem, but not only is the computer new, the solutions Ive seen online dont seem to help?

Something about permissions?  idk, but it looks like its explicitly a problem with paradox games.
I fixxed this . . . by running it on my old laptop.   I guess Im good to go?  Stellaris fortunately doesnt need an incredibly beefy computer to go.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: March 10, 2020, 01:03:35 pm »

Anyone know if the origins feature that's releasing with Federations requires the DLC?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: March 10, 2020, 01:16:51 pm »

I think origins are included in the free update, but some like the fallen empire vassal start may be DLC locked.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8421 on: March 10, 2020, 01:21:31 pm »

Yeah I believe the actual Origins feature is included but the specific origins that are tied to DLC are of course reliant on those DLC

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: March 10, 2020, 02:01:19 pm »

Awesome, thanks!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: March 10, 2020, 08:17:24 pm »

It's been answered already, but if you're curious what you can get with which DLC you own...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
General shorthand: if it's based on a trait added by a DLC, it's still linked to that DLC.  If it's based on a species added or upgraded by a DLC, likewise.  The rest is Federations or base.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: March 10, 2020, 08:31:10 pm »

Federations
  • Void Dwellers: Start on a Habitat above your destroyed, former homeworld, and with 2 more habitats in your home system. Completely adapted to living in habitats, and start with the technology to build new ones, but also suffers a penalty to living on regular planets.
  • Doomsday: Your homeworld is doomed and it will explode after 64 years, so you need to find a new home for your species.
Damn, that's tempting. I'm sure I could get the same or better results out of three hours of modding, but that requires effort.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: March 10, 2020, 08:33:57 pm »

I want Calamitous birth. Gonna make Lavos.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: March 11, 2020, 09:00:30 am »

I liked the game when it first released and I like it now. I even like the business model, since I keep having fun with the product in its many iterations long after normally I'd be done with it.
The only thing that makes me (very mildly) angry is hearing the same broken record complaining how Paradox should be ashamed of themselves, ashamed I say!, again and again. It's not as bad as the Cataclysm threads, but sometimes getting through to a post that actually talks about the game in the thread about the game can be a pain. It's like having to push through Westboro Baptists protestors to get to a cinema.
Meh emoji. Slightly annoyed emoji.

Eh, it's annoying to me when people declare other people's annoyance to be invalid. What can you do. God hates game devs who keep changing their games, right? (Westboro joke). 

It's annoying when something you like gets changed down a strange path, most of the people who liked the thing in the first place get annoyed with it and abandon it, and the 10% of the leftover people insist that nobody minded the changes because they don't hear all that much complaining anymore.  There are always people who will praise each and every move by game devs regardless, and I'm not accusing you of lying that you like the game. I believe you 100% like it just how it is. But how it is is very different from what it is supposed to be, according to the description of the product I bought.

The product I bought was a bunch of neat concepts in a kinda buggy package that we knew was gonna keep getting bugfixed. At least, that's what usually happens. Keep iterating on the original selling point.  Not fire the dev * 2 and remake the game each time.  The game I bought was abandoned with a smile and a "well buy this and this and this and this, and it still won't be the game you bought, but it's fun, we swear!". 

Most people just move on, rather than coming back every so often to restate their complaints. This gives the illusion that everyone's happy with it.  And I don't know about you, but I personally like to see my own seemingly unpopular views shared, so I will keep making dumb posts like this in the hopes someone else says "You know what? That's kinda how I feel about it".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: March 11, 2020, 12:35:15 pm »

It is cool for people to have different opinions on games and the direction games take.

It is not cool to try and shame anyone for the direction a game takes or their preference in enjoying it.

I for one enjoy that Stellaris has changed so much and so drastically over time. If someone else does not enjoy this because they wanted it to stay the same, that is fine too.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: March 11, 2020, 08:50:00 pm »

It's annoying when something you like gets changed down a strange path, most of the people who liked the thing in the first place get annoyed with it and abandon it, and the 10% of the leftover people insist that nobody minded the changes because they don't hear all that much complaining anymore.  There are always people who will praise each and every move by game devs regardless, and I'm not accusing you of lying that you like the game. I believe you 100% like it just how it is. But how it is is very different from what it is supposed to be, according to the description of the product I bought.

The product I bought was a bunch of neat concepts in a kinda buggy package that we knew was gonna keep getting bugfixed. At least, that's what usually happens. Keep iterating on the original selling point.  Not fire the dev * 2 and remake the game each time.  The game I bought was abandoned with a smile and a "well buy this and this and this and this, and it still won't be the game you bought, but it's fun, we swear!". 

Most people just move on, rather than coming back every so often to restate their complaints. This gives the illusion that everyone's happy with it.  And I don't know about you, but I personally like to see my own seemingly unpopular views shared, so I will keep making dumb posts like this in the hopes someone else says "You know what? That's kinda how I feel about it".
I...
You're making quite a lot of bold claims there, buddy. "Most people who liked the thing get annoyed with it and abandon it," Uh. Do you have any kind of indication that this is the case rather than the fact that you don't like the game so therefore most people must feel the same way?

Things change. Not everyone likes the changes, and that's perfectly fine. But when those people who dislike it keep on bringing it up again it kind of gets tiring.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: March 11, 2020, 08:57:31 pm »

Yeah, I sort of think that the fact that people keep greedily sucking up Stellaris expansions indicates that most people are ok with it, or have legit gripes but still enjoy it enough to buy it.

Feel free not to do so, and talk about why. But it's hardly failing due to a lack of interest/enjoyment. Everyone I've ever played it with is currently quite excited at the upcoming Federations thing.

I'd like to hear more about your opinions, Damiac. What do you not like about the major changes since launch? Is it the move from tiles? The FTL simplification? Did something in an expac mess stuff up for you? Gimme dem details.

I miss FTL options myself.
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 632