Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298787 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2019, 11:47:38 am »

Be a space colony man. Ferry people and things around on your space colony vtol thingy.
Could it be?

Has SimCopter returned, after so many years?

EDIT: In other news, GladiaBots!

Design a team of robo-warriors to mince and perforate your foes, and customize the way they do it by programming their AI using a node blueprint system!

Of note is the fact that the dev recently released an update that put a cap on how many nodes you were allowed to put into a multiplayer AI (yes, the game features online battles and ladders)... Apparently, a few peeps were causing the matches to crash and burn because they'd built AIs with thousands of nodes and hundreds of different conditions being checked and evaluated every tick. Which I think is kinda funny, because I just know that there were at least a few people out there who specifically designed their AI to do something like this.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2019, 06:38:35 pm »

Oblivion's main quest is pretty evil to new players. If you just bumble along the main quest it basically encourages you to destroy Azura's Star, one of the best items in the game. As a new player it's very easy to overlook the importance of soul gems, and even if you know what they're for it can be hard to figure out how to get your own and charge them.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2019, 06:42:22 pm »

Oblivion's main quest is pretty evil to new players. If you just bumble along the main quest it basically encourages you to destroy Azura's Star, one of the best items in the game. As a new player it's very easy to overlook the importance of soul gems, and even if you know what they're for it can be hard to figure out how to get your own and charge them.
Oh hello my first playthrough, it's funny seeing you here...

Yeah, I had no idea that the star was a soul gem. I couldn't hit people with it, therefore it must be pretty useless.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 20, 2019, 04:18:34 pm »

Any thoughts on Anthem?

Anthem comes out on the 22nd, and I'm considering picking it up. They did the head-start thing a week early, so there's already some early reviews floating around. Here's what I've gathered from reading around:

Flying is super fun.
Combat is a bit simple, with limited enemy types and limited AI.
Graphics are pretty, but loading times are much too long and frequent.
Story is needlessly complex and tedious early and for most of the game, but leads up to a strong finale.
Interface fails to explain many basic concepts, such as what stats on gear actually do and how basic combat mechanics function.
Endgame is light, currently consisting of diablo-style increased difficulty playthroughs with better loot. Raid-style content has been promised, but is yet to be dated.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2019, 04:29:47 pm »

Cons:
- Electronic Arts
- Origin platform

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2019, 04:35:14 pm »

Any thoughts on Anthem?

Anthem comes out on the 22nd, and I'm considering picking it up. They did the head-start thing a week early, so there's already some early reviews floating around. Here's what I've gathered from reading around:

Flying is super fun.
Combat is a bit simple, with limited enemy types and limited AI.
Graphics are pretty, but loading times are much too long and frequent.
Story is needlessly complex and tedious early and for most of the game, but leads up to a strong finale.
Interface fails to explain many basic concepts, such as what stats on gear actually do and how basic combat mechanics function.
Endgame is light, currently consisting of diablo-style increased difficulty playthroughs with better loot. Raid-style content has been promised, but is yet to be dated.

So it's half-finished, and what's finished isn't particularly good? Bad tutorials are also a warning that there was no outside playtesting, which usually means you're paying to find the many bugs that will probably never be fixed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2019, 04:38:54 pm »

Wide as an ocean, deep as a pond is a phrase dem Youtubers are throwing around.

It looks like it's more fun to move around than in Destiny, at the cost of basically having no interesting verticality to it. If you want to be reductive, there's essentially little difference between it and Destiny in terms of what you do: go to a place, some guys spawn, you shoot them, go to another place, etc...but Anthem seems to think that flying through huge caverns or gorges is enough. Destiny levels weren't amazeballs but there's variety in the looks and the layouts that managed to impress me. (The first couple zones anyways, the rest started to get very samey.) What little I've seen of Anthem, everything looks pretty samey. Pretty! But samey.

Melee combat looks more fluid than Destiny though, by half. But it's half as good as Warframe, since it appears a lot of melee is canned animations designed to be launched from being airborne.

There are also complaints that mid way through the story, story missions get put on hold so you have to do some serious MANDATORY "free play" collectathons/achievement whackamole so you can progress through the story. Everything from "Kill x enemies using every method in the game" to "hunt down collectibles" to "rez teammates X times." Pretty goddamn bizarre considering most games relegate that stuff to daily quest grinds or strict achievement farming. Anthem be like "yo dawg, can't finish the story until you do all dis."

Frankly both games are flogging a dead horse IMO, that is the MMO-lite 3PS. Once the novelty of the enjoyable movement mechanics wears off, people are saying there's not much else to hang your hat on.

And this on top of all the normal AAA big game woes. I think they've solved the server disconnect issues. But major quest bugs, ill-conceived matchmaking (lvl 3 players joining the last boss fight of the story, for example), umpteen million loading screens, a shit and lifeless hub, leaked MTX schemes where skins are going to cost $20.....given all that, if it doesn't sound like a trainwreck, it at least sounds like a "give it 6 months to pull its head out of its ass" kind of thing. Just like Destiny. Plenty of people are enjoying Anthem I suppose. But it's not the "anything" killer. It sounds like 20 to 30 hour of play before you're out of things to do. And if Destiny is their guide....whatever comes next is going to be as equally bland and repetitive.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:45:15 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2019, 12:53:56 am »

I'd probably get it if it wasn't Origin only. Since it is, I won't.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2019, 12:50:13 pm »

penguinz0 Jackson did a review of Anthem, bringing up a couple minor concerns.

Although it's worth noting that penguinz0 was also part of the early access demo event, and is likely carrying a bias based on the 3 hours he spent trying to play 5 minutes of the demo.

As an aside, anyone have recommendations for first-person multiplayer RPGs? Any sort of co-op RPGs are fine actually, but I've got a particular soft spot for first-person perspective ones. I'm thinking specifically about session-based multiplayer, not MMOs like FO76 or (yippee!) Atlas.

Hexen 2 is a classic example of this game type, and it's a rather interesting case study in its gameplay experience. Other titles that come to mind are Barony and Counter Spell, and there's quite a lot of Counter Spell that I'd like to enjoy, but the game as a whole is so early-access lateral development that it boggles the mind. Borderlands also works, although I do have a soft spot for more fantasy-esque themes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2019, 12:57:15 pm »

Does Borderlands 2 fit the bill? General MP I never tried, but it was a banquet of gameplay for a few friends to play together.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2019, 01:00:44 pm »

I kinda meant the Borderlands series with "Borderlands also works", not just the first game. I probably should have specified though, especially seeing as I've played about 118 hours of Borderlands 2 and roughly 0 of Borderlands 1...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2019, 01:05:14 pm »

I kinda meant the Borderlands series with "Borderlands also works", not just the first game. I probably should have specified though, especially seeing as I've played about 118 hours of Borderlands 2 and roughly 0 of Borderlands 1...

BL1 isn't worth it if you've sunk that much time into BL2.

Been playing a lot of 7 Days To Die with friends. It's more on the FPS Minecraft Survival Crafting side of things, but it's got some RPG progression.

This might be better in the "Recommend me a game" thread.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2019, 01:07:14 pm »

This might be better in the "Recommend me a game" thread.
It definitely would, and it shows how wonderfully I'm functioning today when I thought that I was actually in that thread.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2019, 01:32:54 pm »

Since we're doing this here instead of there, I'll mention another game that probably doesn't deserve its own thread - Hellgate: London. No, not the Steam version. The original one that was maybe free at one point. If you can locate that, and if there exist any private server options, boom. Bask in the glory of the early days of first-person mumorpugering.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2019, 02:16:34 pm »

Vermintide 2 probably somewhat fits your bill.
First-person, session-based, and co-op.  Lighter on the 'RPG' end, but hey, it is more about player skill growth then character growth.  Though, character growth obviously helps you along.

I suppose you can say Warframe also nominally fits that bill, but there is far less personality to it then the mentioned alternatives and is more of a treadmill.

EDIT: Oh right, reckon this sort should be in the recommend me a game thread.

To clarify, it is ok to talk about homeless games for awhile, we can usually expect most discussion to die in a day or so.
It is when its popularity and collective want-to-type-about-it survives beyond a day or two is when it should move on over to it's own home.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:27:08 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 168