Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300517 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1260 on: July 26, 2021, 11:06:33 am »

Spoiler: The Fermi Paradox (click to show/hide)

-snip-

This reminds me of an idle game I can't remember the name of for the life of me. You kinda just watch a bunch of civilizations pop up and become sapient, and you watch them develop from the stone age to as far as they can go before being wiped out. Lots of sudden and depressing deaths to civilizations. One could die of a plague in the stone age, another could become embroiled in a nuclear war.

Really interesting thing to watch, with the little influence you can give being enough to keep it interesting. Wish I remembered the name tho, nowadays looking up for the same theme just shows evolve.io and that game is... not fun to me.

Oh hey, I found it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 12:02:03 pm by Iceblaster »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 26, 2021, 12:27:25 pm »

Considering that Steam never managed to get their VR headset prices down to anywhere even remotely close to their competition, I'm not particularly optimistic that this Deck will be commonly affordable.
It's $400.
eh? $999 on Steam's store.
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/354231/
Thats most likely the pricing in your region but i dunno. from what country are you looking it up tho?

the thing has LPDDR5 quad channel memory im interested if it will actually run DF better than my PC
As mentioned by Zangi earlier, one person was talking about the price for the Deck ($400), while the other was talking about the price for the Index ($999).
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 26, 2021, 05:13:39 pm »

Didn't we have an idle thread in Other Games? I can't find it now. Might have been deleted? Anyway...

Legends of Idleon is a free-to-play idle game, available on Steam, Android, and Web Browser. I'm playing through Steam.
Cash shop is there. I haven't spent any money nor felt the need to do so in order to progress steadily. Though I'm seriously considering spending some coin just because I've gotten plenty of hours of fun out of the game so far.

It's an idle game. Fight monsters, gather resources, get points, spend points so that you can do all of the aforementioned stuff better, then repeat with steadily increasing levels of complexity. I like that I can play for just 5 minutes per day to deposit my accumulated resources in storage, or spend several hours crafting new equipment, completing quests, and moving my guys around to gather different resources in preparation for the next big upgrade.

Not the deepest or most creative idle game I've ever played, despite being pretty good in both areas. But Idleon has the best staying-power of any idle game I've tried, and I've tried quite a few. I can easily see myself putting more hours into this compared to those other games, so Idleon gets my solid recommendation.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 26, 2021, 06:09:42 pm »

So, I just picked up Shadows Behind the Throne 2 today... Just in time to see the announcement about how they're ceasing development on that one in order to start making a new game (Shadows of Forbidden Gods).

I'm noticing a distinct lack of community resources, which is a shame because this could really use some. It's pretty opaque going in, and there are a lot of things I would've liked to know before dedicating resources and risk to them.

First campaign ended up bogging itself into a corner when the global cooling and fear-propagation Names didn't play as well together as I'd hoped. Second one got off to a rocky start, but seems to be decent-ish now with an enthralled queen who I'm figuring I'll just pop the dark button on.

Been working my way through the various agents, and... Uh... Hmm. I've seen mentions on the Steam forum about how awesome vampires apparently are, but I'm failing to see how they're anything more than short-lived little crankers who MIGHT make a noble go insane in some random way over the course of their very limited lifespan.

Also went for a few different Names, and so far I've really only had significant, lasting, positive effect out of the fishboiis.

I dunno. I... I really want to like this game, it feels like I'd love it to bits! I just clearly don't have a good enough understanding of the game in order to play it in a way that's rewarding.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 26, 2021, 06:31:08 pm »

So, I just picked up Shadows Behind the Throne 2 today... Just in time to see the announcement about how they're ceasing development on that one in order to start making a new game (Shadows of Forbidden Gods).

I'm noticing a distinct lack of community resources, which is a shame because this could really use some. It's pretty opaque going in, and there are a lot of things I would've liked to know before dedicating resources and risk to them.

First campaign ended up bogging itself into a corner when the global cooling and fear-propagation Names didn't play as well together as I'd hoped. Second one got off to a rocky start, but seems to be decent-ish now with an enthralled queen who I'm figuring I'll just pop the dark button on.

Been working my way through the various agents, and... Uh... Hmm. I've seen mentions on the Steam forum about how awesome vampires apparently are, but I'm failing to see how they're anything more than short-lived little crankers who MIGHT make a noble go insane in some random way over the course of their very limited lifespan.

Also went for a few different Names, and so far I've really only had significant, lasting, positive effect out of the fishboiis.

I dunno. I... I really want to like this game, it feels like I'd love it to bits! I just clearly don't have a good enough understanding of the game in order to play it in a way that's rewarding.

It's a game that I'd love to love too, but it's such an opaque game that even brute force learning it is hell. So much of it is being shown off to you, but you can't sort past what's fluff, what's useful, and what you can actually do.

It isn't helped by the fact you're not really told that much either. You play as the infector blob off in the corner of a world taking over places and not encroaching on civilization, keeping a wide swath, but then suddenly without warning you'll invariably end up with a million people charging you and effortlessly killing you despite buildup of your own defenses. You're not really told how to better defend yourself, or what you're doing that causes such a response.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 28, 2021, 07:31:10 pm »

Starbase is less than 24 hours away from Early Access launch of Steam.

Be a robot in space. Pickaxe asteroids for shiny stuff. Mash the shiny stuff together to make a space boat. Use the space boat to lazor more asteroids for more shiny stuff. Mash shiny stuff together to make space guns. Use space guns to murder other space robots and steal their shiny stuff. Get murdered by other space robots and have your shiny stuff stolen. Join a group and do all that on a larger scale.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 29, 2021, 04:05:06 pm »

I would buy Starbase, but I'm not sure my CPU is up to it. The minimum specs state an Intel I7, but I've got an I5. And upgrading from that would require a new motherboard, which in turn requires replacing the RAM.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 29, 2021, 04:28:25 pm »

Vivid Knight is a surprisingly interesting result of what you might get if you smashed a roguelike with a gacha game, and wrapped it in a mobile interface. It is not micropay/time-gated in any way (outside of meta-progression grinding), despite of how a lot of mechanics sound like they are.

So you're in a dungeon with automated movement from room to room (pick which exit), with various things in each room, ranging from mana(steps), loot, vendors, and semi-automated combats. New units are the main loot, and, in good ol' gacha fashion, three of the same type upgrades it, with three upgraded versions to their max version. Each unit, in addition to their assortment of standard stats, has a unique skill, color, and mark, with increasing amounts of the same color/mark giving stronger buffs. This mechanic ties directly into the upgrade system because a T1 unit only 'uses' their color/marks while in the active party, while T2+ can be in reserve. Adding to this mess is a very finite party size-- the starter character only has room for a party of 6, with 5 reserves before you start paying movement penalties, turning a dungeon run into a balancing act between active units that may be at T1 because your T2s are sitting in reserve so you get buffs, and deciding if it's worth wasting roster space to try to get extras to upgrade to T3 while wasting potential buff space in your roster/taking the penalty and hoping you don't end up dying from it down the line.

If that sounded like a bit of a mess, it's because it is. There's a lot of interlinked moving parts and you're effectively trying to assemble a gamebreaking combo before the difficulty curve catches up.

And the not so good: By its nature, it's kind of RNG-based. Accessories have random color/marks, and the getting a good one early can give a huge boost. Meta progression usually means diluting the pool of units so it's harder to get good ones. For some ungodly reason, game speed is part of the meta progression. 33/80 unlocked so far, and no luck. Meta progression is kind of slow-- 3 unlocks for finishing a dungeon the first time, but after that... the 'final' dungeon got me 3 after ~95% completion and two hours. (Need that speed up...)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 07:40:04 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 29, 2021, 04:43:12 pm »

Idle reminder, cheat engine's speedhack can cheerfully increase the speed of just about any game that feels like being a slug. Just throwing that one out there :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 29, 2021, 07:04:56 pm »

I would buy Starbase, but I'm not sure my CPU is up to it. The minimum specs state an Intel I7, but I've got an I5. And upgrading from that would require a new motherboard, which in turn requires replacing the RAM.

I would probably buy this too, except it's Windows only. And it's an MMO, which means apprehension about "what if the company closes its servers down".  I keep looking for a Space Engineers type game that will run natively on my Mac.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 30, 2021, 08:54:01 am »

Just a friendly reminder that DU exists too... We saw a bunch of people who allways complain jump ship, just to arrive at the general consensus that besides the flying part being better made, there isn't a lot atm.
let

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 30, 2021, 12:19:16 pm »

Fuga. Fire the souls of furry children at your enemies.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1272 on: July 30, 2021, 02:20:42 pm »

Just a friendly reminder that DU exists too... We saw a bunch of people who allways complain jump ship, just to arrive at the general consensus that besides the flying part being better made, there isn't a lot atm.
I'm guessing you're talking about Dual Universe?
I'm not interested, but thought others would be as lost as I was at first.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 30, 2021, 04:04:12 pm »

Fuga. Fire the souls of furry children at your enemies.

"[...] and find hidden treasures!"

*Dude on screen opens a chest which contains: Wooden branch x1

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 01, 2021, 04:56:18 pm »

https://www.chernobylgame.com/

Looks like maybe a new Stalker or Fallout-Like game? Anyone know anything about it? Other than it's on sale for 7 days?
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 168