Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298758 times)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1530 on: January 05, 2022, 03:53:28 pm »

They are all words, but I'm not sure if repeated letters are allowed or not.

Repeated letters are allowed.  I got "siege" once.  (Incidentally, that was my only 2-guess-victory thus far.)

A friend and I accidentally both came up with the following word as ideal first guess:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I usually try to narrow it down to three yellow letters (or two green ones) before making earnest guesses.  Of course that's not possible with "hard" mode.

In a similar vein, there's Guess My Word.  Unlike Wordle, the only hint you get is alphabetic order.  There is a public leaderboard (which kindly hides spoilers if you haven't completed today's challenge yet).

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: January 05, 2022, 05:13:20 pm »

I thought my first guess was a pretty good one--

Edit:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 03:48:12 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #1532 on: January 06, 2022, 03:44:38 am »

I thought my first guess was a pretty good one--

Oh that is a good one.  Yoinks, it's mine now!  >: )

P.S.:  With today's Wordle (201) I got the four last letters green and for a second went ???

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: January 06, 2022, 04:00:41 am »

Got today's in 3. My cousins were talking about this. Fun little game and wouldn't have gotten it without the comments on this thread.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: January 06, 2022, 05:55:06 am »

Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: January 06, 2022, 06:56:27 am »

The hardest thing seems to be to figure out a 5 letter word that does not use grey letters so that it does not say "not in word list"  :o

Also can confirm that letters can repeat in a word.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 06:57:58 am by Mkok »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: January 06, 2022, 08:17:52 am »

Good point, Aoi. I'll do that next time.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: January 06, 2022, 09:08:41 am »

I tried it a day or 2 ago, not being an english speaker i find it fun how harder it seemed for me to find 5 letters only words.
Still managed to get the good one in 4
Things i went this way :

today i got it but still in 4

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: January 06, 2022, 10:11:44 am »

today i got it but still in 4
I'd think you'd always want your first guess to be something that only uses one of each letter, yeah? More chances to find and/or eliminate letters.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: January 06, 2022, 10:24:06 am »

The lack of inspiration isn't helping too :D

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: January 06, 2022, 02:08:18 pm »

I used the two words I mentioned today, and got 1 letter out of 10. Eliminated a *lot*, but I could not think of a single word that used none of those letters.

Third guess* was helpful despite containing a letter I knew wasn't part of it, and with the eliminated letters and probably 10 minutes of playing around with combinations, I remembered the answer was a real word.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #1541 on: January 07, 2022, 04:15:13 am »

Since wordle seems quite popular, I should point out there's now a dedicated thread for wordgames like it.

As for other games, I've enjoyed Morphblade a lot.  It is a puzzle game that packs surprisingly tactic and strategic depth into quick sessions.  And it features the classic Tom Francis Defenestration™ *.

*may not involve shattering glass

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: January 07, 2022, 08:12:00 am »

Sailwind

Been playing more of this and getting a bit involved in the community lately...

Now, the game is about historical methods of navigation at sea, and classically a very important way of determining your general direction was through dead reckoning, or charting a path taken based off of calculations made with your recorded speed and heading. And while this definitely isn't necessary in the game, and even needs extraneous tools in order to actually chart anything, a number of players have been attempting to do dead reckoning for the fun of it.

...which is where we run into a slight problem. Namely, while the in-game chip log does measure in real knots, the in-game miles have nothing to do with real measurements and it's not explicitly clear how long a game hour is.

So I've just spent some time this morning working stuff out with a couple other community members, and with several combined calculations, empirical measurements, and poking at the code; we've arrived at 1 knot = 0.643 game miles per game hour. Huzzah! Now dead reckoning is actually possible!

...I'm still mostly just gonna run latitudes and hope for the best though :P

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: January 07, 2022, 08:58:16 am »

...classically a very important way of determining your general direction was through dead reckoning, or charting a path taken based off of calculations made with your recorded speed and heading.

Is that the actual historical usage? I always thought it was more along the lines of 'Point it in what should be the right direction and try and stay there.' or much more of a blind guess than you're making it sound, which is a calculated best course that's constantly revised, albeit to the limitations of the day.

Or, as the old saying goes, "It's called dead reckoning because if you don't reckon it correctly, you're dead."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: January 07, 2022, 09:38:27 am »

While that is in a way a kind of dead reckoning, the preferred method was indeed to measure speed and heading at regular intervals (I think every half hour being the standard), then chart it all down in order to plot on a map where you've moved, and thereby where you're most likely to be located. More advanced forms of dead reckoning take other factors into account, such as known currents and winds pushing the ship out of a straight line.

Why they called it "dead reckoning" is, frankly, not entirely known. There doesn't seem to be a firm etymology in either that saying or in the "it's an abbreviation of deductive reckoning" explanation.

Sailors just have weird names for stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 168