Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300545 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1815 on: July 15, 2022, 08:26:27 pm »

Just played the demo, and... I'unno? The demo experience was basically "get the good ranged weapons on something that can't move and be invincible forever". Neat, but balance and whatnot is just... not there, more or less, heh. Probably worth 3 bucks, but it's definitely not anywhere near the level of majesty or whatev'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: July 17, 2022, 11:49:43 am »

Something that can be helpful to the people playing xcom2 from the epic store (especially as it was free there several months ago).

Quickly people noticed there was something wrong, apparently whoever at Firaxis and 2K is tasked to make or maintain their game release decided to take an older build (before some bugfixing patches) of XCOM2 without checking twice and uploaded it to the epic store.
And because they couldn't care about the unfortunate people that purchased the game there instead of steam or gog, they never patched it up to their latest version.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/u8qhra/psa_epic_game_store_bugs_and_inconveniences/

The most obvious bug is in VIP missions in which the objective simply spawn outside of the level and so can never be reached. But some people posted a workaround  :
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/u6b1at/rescue_vip_from_advent_vehicle_mission_vehicle/

For a different game, but the problem is very similar , a developer that do not care at all to check or fix their mistakes, i spotted some people reporting that the game "Bloodbowl 1 Chaos Edition" on gog has been bugged since its release on that store , the major one being that player turns are locked (regardless of your settings) to 40 seconds only even when playing vs AI.
https://www.gog.com/forum/blood_bowl_series/blood_bowl_chaos_edition_bug_issues/page1

Bug that does not exist anymore in that game on the other stores because the developers patched it, but they never did on the gog version in several years.

So be sure to know of those problems in case you're thinking of buying that game on gog.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 11:51:21 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: July 19, 2022, 09:18:13 am »

Noticed that the excellent Hellpoint (a nice futuristic soul-like that reminded me a lot of the Blame! atmosphere)  just got a DLC release named "Blue Sun" that from the description seems rather big in content.
The base game also recieved an update adding some stuff
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 20, 2022, 11:08:07 am »

I really can't decide how I feel about Necrosmith.

Conceptually, it should be interesting-- it's like taking Majesty's hands-off style of play and giving it a roguelite metagame, with unit customization via assembly of bodyparts that are loot. Except it just doesn't seem to come together for me.

Has anybody else tried it and can weigh in on if I'm just missing something fundamental to the experience?
I tried it for about an hour but I felt the frequency of enemy waves vs. how many monsters I could create (both in terms of parts and mana) vs. how much I had to micromanage put me off.

What few monsters I could create tended to get themselves steamrolled before they could destroy lairs, and I couldn't micro them because I had to constantly keep 1 strong minion on micro near my castle to efficiently deal with the enemy waves. Maybe that opens up as you unlock more gold-progression stuff but I didn't feel like grinding to solve that.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 21, 2022, 05:37:06 pm »

Discovered that not only many of Don't Starve Together's numerous mods have been broken for a long time because modders ran out of interest long before devs did, but some recent update redone and reshuffled crafting tabs, making many modded items unavailable except by searching their names in "everything" tab. This is fierce. This is fucking fierce. Somehow they made it even worse than Minecraft's irritating and patronizing accesibility feature. Went to steam reviews to see people swearing at devs for that absurdity, but they were already doing so for selling out to Tencent in early in 2021. Oh dear.

I don't really play the game, but watching this slow-burning dumpster fire of a development is... why, infuriating.  ::) :P ;D :( >:(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 07:04:40 pm by MCreeper »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 21, 2022, 05:45:42 pm »

I don't think there's a separate thread for it, so I'll note here that Into The Breach released a fairly meaty free update. 15 new mechs, 10 new enemies, more missions, more pilots, A BUNCH of new weapons, and an even worse challenge mode than the old Hard mode. The new mechs feel kinda twee and I think I hate them, but they're definitely challenging and require new strategies. It was certainly enough to get me to dust it off and lose some games.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 23, 2022, 04:32:07 pm »

I was bitten by the extended Age of Wonders bug again after reliving some glory days in the original, so (not being able to get Shadow Magic to work for some reason) I've popped back into 3 to see if I can get a better handle on it now.

There are definitely still issues there... Some of the mechanics/interactions are a bit opaque and I'm still at a stage where I feel like I'm not doing anything right, with all the options available. And some parts of balance are certainly not, well, balanced...

...but more than anything else, I still can't get over just how gorgeous this game is at times. The series has always had incredible art direction for their environments, and even the random maps can end up spitting out some very pretty landscapes. But with a bit of a guiding hand putting things together, such as in the campaign, and it becomes outright stunning. And I love the feature that lets you zoom out to a simplified "paper" map, where I only just recently noticed that they took the time to put in "hand-drawn" graphics for each climate's version of a given feature. Heck, even the "impassable mountain" tiles which are just used as a not-so-invisible wall in scenarios have their own little variation on the normal mountain graphics to make them stand out.

And then... In the leader designer, the halfling folds his arms behind his back, resulting in their flesh flensing off the bone and stretching out into jagged wings of skin. Mistakes were made.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 23, 2022, 05:30:22 pm »

Hey, maybe halfling biology just works like that! It'd be a neat detail, really.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 24, 2022, 03:55:14 am »

Would certainly go a ways towards explaining the 20% additional weakness to physical damage, I'll tell you that much.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 26, 2022, 01:41:16 pm »

There actually is a thread, but it's two years old, and what I have to say doesn't really rise to the level of necro'ing it.

Picked up Library of Ruina from the latest card-builder bundle from Humble.

The story's a little out there - you're playing as a group of 'librarians' (plus an everyman who got stuck in the middle through apparent happenstance) who send out invitations to people to come try their luck in the library for fame and fortune... then you kill them and turn their memories into books.

Your units get stronger by equipping pages from these books, which are either individual moves, or even an entire new body for that librarian to inhabit, which usually comes with increased stats and/or special abilities.

Oh, and it's set in the world of Lobotomy Corporation, so as you grow out the Library you also deal with the Lovecraftian horrors from that game.

I'm enjoying it; would recommend.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: July 26, 2022, 02:53:29 pm »

I've been playing HoloCure a decent amount. I'm not quite sure which set of collaborations (combinations of special weapons) is best, but I'm finally managing to consistently get 4 of them (the max possible) most runs.

I'm still using the starter characters, because the rest are expensive (buy them instead of upgrading between runs), take some getting used to or a decent part of a run to power up, and don't seem to have as good of base stats as the first starter character (hp, speed, and damage stats seem to be a balancing tool based on how good your weapon is, but if you ignore the base weapon, good stats and some luck will work very nicely together).

It's also interesting that running the endless mode gets you worse rewards than going through the single scenario repeatedly. It's early access and hopefully there will be more scenarios added.

If anyone else has played, what are your favorite collaborations? I'm running Fujoshi (book+axe), Elite Cooking (lava+spiders), light beam (glowstick+fan), and breathe-in Asacoco (tail+bomb box). I try for the first 2 first, because defensive powers are nice, especially early in a run when you aren't just walking around destroying everything.

Edit: The light beam and breathe-in (molotovs) seem bad, because they make it hard to see what's going on. Just a screen full of lights. But there isn't a box+glowstick combination.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 03:10:33 pm by Iduno »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 26, 2022, 04:53:59 pm »

Axe+lava bucket is amazing, as is wall+bomb. The two together basically lols the entire pre-endless without much difficulty.

Of the second set of characters, the feather and the leaf ones actually have genuinely really good main weapons -- they both gain homing on final upgrade, and will start to seriously carry their weight. Dice chick is probably one of, or the, strongest for an endless run -- her passives really take off after a while. Of the first set, the very first one has a pretty bleh primary but her puppy dog is probably one of the best passive effects in the entire game, since it runs around and picks up XP for you. Scythe chick will probably end up nerfed -- you can just about hit endless using just her primary weapon right now, it plus her passives are very, very strong at the mo'.

There's definitely other levels planned. Game's twitter says next update will be sometime in august, iirc.
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: July 26, 2022, 07:35:15 pm »

Sounds good. If only there were non-Steam options.

Of the second set of characters, the feather and the leaf ones actually have genuinely really good main weapons -- they both gain homing on final upgrade, and will start to seriously carry their weight.

Mumei (feather) was the one I was thinking of when I said some take a bit of time to become good. 7 levels in one particular skill isn't always fast, but that and 1 in Friend (about as good as the dog) is quite nice.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 27, 2022, 05:45:32 pm »

The story's a little out there
Yeah, a whole lot out there. It's confusing af. The logic behind how it all is supposed to gel together keeps eluding me. Half of the time I don't know why or what I'm doing. I mean, I get it in the game-y sense: click here to get this to happen. But the fluff facade slapped on the mechanics is ill-fitting, to say the least.

People turn into books. You use books to send invitations. You also burn books to gain cards. And you equip books to change how you look. Why any of that? What's the logic? Who knows. It's books, man! Go with the flow!
It's a whole string of loosely connected concepts that you're asked to check out your common sense for in quick succession.

People act all cheerful and innocuous before deciding to get murdered. - 'Hello, I hear I can find some nice books here' - 'Yes indeed. Do proceed this way, my assistant will promptly kill you all' - 'Oh, how excellent. Cheerio'. Sort of how it plays out so far.
Is anyone told they'll have to fight for their life in the invitations? No. But it doesn't register with the main characters that they're running an elaborate entrapment scheme preying on random people.
It's all a bit off.

The anime aesthetic is kinda grating too.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 28, 2022, 09:38:51 am »

Rise of the Tomb Raider (the 2nd in the "Survivor" modern TR serie) may be far from my favorite (Tomb Raider 2013 is by far the best to me) but i recently discovered the Endurance game mode included with it (apparently it was originally a DLC but it and many other DLC were integrated in the Tomb Raider Collection when that collection was made a freebie on the epic store last Christmas).

And wow, the potential for this is insane.

At its base, you're in a large siberian area in which have to survive temperature and hunger like in a simple survival game, you'll have to hunt, making fire, collect items, craft more stuff, level up your Lara etc... until you collect a specific amount of artifacts and escape the area, of course there are also enemies and various other dangers.
All the while time is moving on through day and night

The map is a procedural generated forest filled with tombs caves and other locations to be scavenged for relics. According to Crystal Dynamics, the size of the map is made up of 100 hexagonal segments, with 60 foot sides to each hexagon.

The map is filled with enemies such as predatory animals and Trinity soldiers, who become even more deadly as the days pass, to the point where the getting food will mean the player has to fight wolves or a bear.

It's tons of fun and super replayable.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 168