Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 89240 times)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: Metaphorically jizzing all over the multiverse
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2015, 07:12:14 pm »

((yeah, I missed that during my first read through xD))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2015, 07:50:22 pm »

1.Yes, I'm ready to go.  You'll probably never get me to stop asking questions though; only reduce the flow.

2.Why do only fleshy people get enhanced capacity mods?  There's a robot version which costs the same.  (If I can get one, I get an AUX one).

3.Can we please get details on what armor we will be given for our explorations?  The armory has an "anomaly suit", which is specifically designed for this, but that used automanips, so what do we get instead?  Stripped down anomaly suits?  Mythril plate?  Assaultsuits?  What?

4.Only asking because teammates appear to disagree, but we do have a carte blanche on equipment purchases, right?  We can get any armory equipment we need for free?

((@Teammates I'm pretty sure we can pretty much get anything we want for free.  So, instead of buying a power gauntlet with your own money (And then potentially losing it in a dangerous universe), you could request four extra arms and then a power gauntlet for each of them.  In theory, anyway.  I'm asking to make sure.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Misson 26: House Hunting
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2015, 11:30:18 am »

Find the nearest armory. Sell back my 6 grenades for two tokens. Buy a multi-function power gauntlet.

Report to wherever I need to report to.

Done.

To the doc My team had only slightly more knowledgeable people on it than myself, and our primary experienced teammate promptly went catatonic, and makes a charming hat stand at the moment. Your admin, Mr. Saint, has more experience, but I hoped to get a bit more, straight from the donkey's mouth, so to speak. Rumors are a notoriously poor source of useful information, after all. Since awakening in what was the HMRC when I was put into stasis, but had become the ARM since, I was assaulted three times, kidnapped, and dumped into a mission to steal fifty thousand people. Which we did. With aplomb, with less experience than I have now, speaking to you. With the planet collapsing around us and the government attempting to destroy us because of something of which I was, as you say, fatally out of the loop on. Pardon me, sir, for trying to amend that situation to the best of my ability. Or your ability, if you were willing. Something big enough to break universes is going on, and I'd like to not be treated as expendable meat, sent blindly to my doom as a canary for those in the know. I think I have slightly more usefulness than that. So please, toss me a few bread crumbs here.

regardless of the outcome of this conversation (barring Dester's losing the ability to participate) Dester is ready to start the tests.
"Alright. Short version. Origin is the thing that we found and researched and it allowed us to create amps, manips, synthflesh and a great deal of genetic modifications. Downside is that it also allowed us to accidently create the altered.  I was one of the lead scientists working on the thing, as well as many other things in and around those few hundred years. I joined The HMRC because the UWM killed me, and I wasn't very happy about it."

1.Yes, I'm ready to go.  You'll probably never get me to stop asking questions though; only reduce the flow.

2.Why do only fleshy people get enhanced capacity mods?  There's a robot version which costs the same.  (If I can get one, I get an AUX one).

3.Can we please get details on what armor we will be given for our explorations?  The armory has an "anomaly suit", which is specifically designed for this, but that used automanips, so what do we get instead?  Stripped down anomaly suits?  Mythril plate?  Assaultsuits?  What?

4.Only asking because teammates appear to disagree, but we do have a carte blanche on equipment purchases, right?  We can get any armory equipment we need for free?

((@Teammates I'm pretty sure we can pretty much get anything we want for free.  So, instead of buying a power gauntlet with your own money (And then potentially losing it in a dangerous universe), you could request four extra arms and then a power gauntlet for each of them.  In theory, anyway.  I'm asking to make sure.))
1. ok.
2. Fine.  1.
3.For you? Well the thing is that YOU, ie the team, probably won't be going into any of these for quite a while. I assume probes, test subjects and people who aren't you will be going in there first until you establish it is safe. I mean, you wanna stick your dick in there, we'll give you some good heavy armor with powerful life support systems, but I wouldn't recommend it.
4. Within reason. You have to justify it. No ordering 10 Avatars of War just in case you might need them.

Stand by, actual description and beginning test soon(ish)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2015, 05:46:40 pm »

I edited my last action to take advantage of our funding situation. This look ok, PW?

Find the nearest armory. Sell back my 6 grenades for two tokens. Buy a multi-function power gauntlet. Loudly introduce myself as General ABBLEE Johnson, veteran black ops member. Requisition 2 multi-function power gauntlets, both modified to include internal generators and, if possible, plastered with cool flame decals. Have them hooked up to my MCP-II's generator as well.

Report to wherever I need to report to. Swagger up to my teammates with the confidence of Spider-Gus.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2015, 05:49:29 pm »

I want the Haebi limb. But I don't know if it'll explode in safe universes.

Can we include small samples of things like the pimp cane and haebi flesh with the volunteers? In artefact containers, of course. We need to know how exotics will react to the environments as well.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2015, 12:28:43 pm »

I edited my last action to take advantage of our funding situation. This look ok, PW?

Find the nearest armory. Sell back my 6 grenades for two tokens. Buy a multi-function power gauntlet. Loudly introduce myself as General ABBLEE Johnson, veteran black ops member. Requisition 2 multi-function power gauntlets, both modified to include internal generators and, if possible, plastered with cool flame decals. Have them hooked up to my MCP-II's generator as well.

Report to wherever I need to report to. Swagger up to my teammates with the confidence of Spider-Gus.

I forget what those even are, but sure.

I want the Haebi limb. But I don't know if it'll explode in safe universes.

Can we include small samples of things like the pimp cane and haebi flesh with the volunteers? In artefact containers, of course. We need to know how exotics will react to the environments as well.
Sure, with the ok of our supervising team lead Ozarck.

So here is our plans as outlined to me

0: relocate to the apocalypse lab with whatever supplies we think will be necessary, including stuff in spaceships nearby for reserves and mobility if something goes wrong.
1: send in a drone which contains distinct samples of all natural elements, to test if any element behaves oddly. We send them for about a minute, then return them and inspect.
2: a drone with sensors, including sensors for the em spectrum, sound, motion, and any other standard sensors. We send them, likewise, for a short time, with recording devices, then bring them back and examine the records.
3: we send samples of a variety of cellular life, from amoebas to plants to animals to sods. leave them for a few minutes and return them to see the universe's natural effect on the life processes. We will aslo send basic robots (think roomba) with simple programs, to test simple interactions.
4: we send (preferably willing) human test subjects. They are to record their observations about theexperience and then we bring them back. They are essentially passive subjects without control over the course of the test (I.e. they are not explorers who direct their probes.) However, I would like them to be given a room in which to operate, and several interactive items, such as a program that tehy have to interact with, pressing buttons when they see certain shapes (you know, pasic psychology testing routines), drinks to pour from one container to another (sealed because microgravity), and the like, so we can observe their functionality. Also, this step should include humans with robobodies if possible.
5: the moment of truth: we send (or go with) a troop of explorers. The plan is to start with a few minutes in universe, then an hour, then eight, returning and reporting / resting in between.
6: evaluate the experience and determine if we should sow our oats in the given universe. if so, put on some mood music and do the thing
7: recursion. we repeat the process, from the new universi - this is a long term thing, so we become interuniversal explorers, exposing humanity to new dangers throughout reality and unreality.

So we can safely say that 0 is done.

Now then, we'll assume that you've all unloaded, everything has moved to the Apoch lab and that you've been shown the functional section of the machine. The actual machine, as the Doc explained, is quite large and uses a good deal of power. The entire section of this installation you're in is basically the extrauniversal engine, the systems to power it and the various other support systems all buried deep in the planet surface. You have access to control panels and a supply of the tags to move things around using the engine, but no access to the engine itself. For you, all thats visible is a large empty room where we stick the stuff to send off, and the control room you're currently in. Along with supplies and the various things you need to conduct the tests.

The "sending" room and the control room are isolated from each other and both are quite well reinforced, so they should survive most things...most things.

SO the idea right now is to send a drone to 0,0,1 carrying all (well most) elements available in our universe right now and then teleport it back after a minute to see if it survives.

You enter the coordinates into the machine while the techs bring the drone out. It's less a drone more a large metal box with a framework of metal and actuators, small mechanical limbs and maneuvering thrusters built onto it.  Upon pressing the "Launch" button, the drone seems to get sucked down into a single hard point, a black speck, which then vanishes entirely. It's all oddly silent. You wait a minute and then bring it back. The return trip is a bit different; it does the reverse, appearing as a speck before expanding back out, but this time it does it with a deafening bang, like a stick of tnt going off. Must be something about the air displacement; have to check heat levels and pressure too.

The drone reports. via its sensor data, space like conditions on the other side. Hard vacuum but also fairly high radiation and heat levels. The elements appear unchanged. Video monitors show darkness and a degree of static and distortion.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »

Probably not going to be useful for the next few turns, so Im just going to monitor our security forces and miscellanious staff until it comes time when I can be useful again
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »

let's see ....

To the Doc"That's ... a lot of information in a few short sentences. I ...
How did you escape death? I assume the UWM didn't just hand your brain over to be fitted into a shiny new body. Oh, hey, on that subject:  Ihear you are a wizard with medical stuff, but this one may be beyond even you.
Dester produces the jar of Manuel"I believe this is all that remains of another interesting doctor from within the HMRC. there's very little, if any, neural tissue left, but would you be able to reconstruct him from this, and from what records you have of him?"

When given an opportunity to ask, Dester continues, eyes shining with with interest "What was this Origin, anyway? Some kind of alien artifact? Mr. Saint says it came from within our universe. How did you find it? What did you do?"

In regards to the test: Dester asks how high the temp and radiation were, and if it was consistent with proximity to a star, if we can know that. Was the probe or it's contents damaged by the heat and radiation? Let's launch a second probe with all sensors, to the same universe to see if we get consistent results.

Would it be too much for one turn to duplicate that test on all 25 of the other coordinates surrounding 0,0,0? If so, don't. If not, do.

Send Phase One probes into 0,0-1, 0,1,0, 0,-1,0, 1,0,0, and -1,0,0, and then to 0,0,+/-5, 0,+/-5,0, and +/-5,0,0 (so one universe in each of the six cardinal directions, and then five universes in each cardinal direction).

As for the Exotic material: Let's (provisionally) establish a phase 3.5 for passive artifact testing, and 4.5 for active artifact testing (that is, send them without using them in 3.5, and send volunteers to activate them in 4.5

Probably not going to be useful for the next few turns, so Im just going to monitor our security forces and miscellanious staff until it comes time when I can be useful again
If you want, you can take over the phase one testing and free me up to concentrate on phase two stuff. It's just: launch phase one probe into x universe. And Launch phase one probe into x universe, then into y universe, then into home universe, and stuff like that. That keeps me from delivering walls of text, and keeps someone else's hand in.

In the control room, with the team present:
Upon seeing the video of the probe returning, the tension seems to drain from Dester a bit, and he let's out a shout "Success! We've launched a probe into another universe and brought it back! Woo!"

later, to Saint
"Wait. We did, right? We didn't just send it somewhere in this universe, did we?"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:54:06 am by Ozarck »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2015, 05:44:23 pm »

I forget what those even are, but sure.
ERROR ERROR! Multi-function power gauntlet contains kinetic amp. Kinetic amp is origin tech. Requires explicit permission from Steve.
Or you could get the kinamps removed and keep the rest of the gauntlets.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2015, 06:22:52 pm »

Ryan nods. "I can't imagine the Doc would lie to us about this. Good news is the first test doesn't create sentience in elements.

But that return trip is a little scary. Sounds like we're re-inserting the drone into the environment, causing a rapid expansion of gas. Can we get some pressure and heat sensors in there?

...And before that, can we get a scan of the room? I'd like to make sure nothing came back on the drone that wasn't there before."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:10:56 pm by Gentlefish »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2015, 06:43:04 pm »

((Might want to draw some attention to your bolded color text. PW might miss it))

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2015, 08:14:31 pm »

ERROR ERROR! Multi-function power gauntlet contains kinetic amp. Kinetic amp is origin tech. Requires explicit permission from Steve.
Or you could get the kinamps removed and keep the rest of the gauntlets.

((The wiki says that they're relatively safe, just less reliable than before. I mostly bought them for the grappling claws, to be honest.))

I probably should have mentioned that the gauntlets have kinamp knuckles. Is that an issue?

Gus will observe, and help out if anyone asks.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:16:13 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2015, 08:32:59 pm »

((Still, aren't you guys trying not to take any origin tech into the new universes?))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2015, 08:41:45 pm »

((It's worth doing just to see what happens. Maybe Origin can jump into the new universe along with humanity to escape the Lurker that's eating it?))
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2015, 09:21:48 pm »

We are pretty specifically NOT taking origin tech into the other universes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54