Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002020 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10230 on: August 25, 2019, 11:33:29 pm »

You would think that the people demanding the exit would have been thrilled at the prospects of getting concessions in the exit process, and jumped at the early offers, back when the EU was more sympathetic to the UK and its popular election result.

But now?  After figuratively dragging their heels, kicking, screaming, and being completely incapable of anything but inaction for.... how long now?...  They expect the EU to still be sympathetic toward them?  After getting gawd only knows how many excuses, delay tactics, and misc other crazy going on?

I'm really quite surprised the EU hasnt told the UK to go get stuffed, and to enjoy its new broken economy.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: August 25, 2019, 11:45:57 pm »

They pretty much have, what with the whole “the deal you have is the deal you’ll get” rhetoric. Then again, they agreed the deal, and it’s the UK that wants to change it and expects the EU to actually come up with the details.

Perhaps you’re just not used to diplomatic talk when you have the Orange toddler in the White House, throwing a tantrum whenever someone makes even a hint of a critical remark? :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: August 26, 2019, 02:07:01 am »

You would think that the people demanding the exit would have been thrilled at the prospects of getting concessions in the exit process, and jumped at the early offers, back when the EU was more sympathetic to the UK and its popular election result.

The EU was never sympathetic to the UK. They've been out to make an example of them from the start, which is also with a negotiations never went anywhere to begin with. Can't negotiate with the diplomatic equivalent of a "no u".
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: August 26, 2019, 05:42:48 am »

The EU was never sympathetic to the UK. They've been out to make an example of them from the start, which is also with a negotiations never went anywhere to begin with. Can't negotiate with the diplomatic equivalent of a "no u".
Indeed. People make the mistake of thinking the EU's relationship towards its component states is patriarchal, somehow familial. To split from it is to leave a family, with all the emotion that entails.

It's more like a business merger. You leaving will be tabulated in figures and loss of power. There is no emotional "the child is moving out!" rhetoric. It is "we are losing an asset! Let's make sure we discourage that from happening again!"

Sympathy does not come into business, nor the running of states on a global scale. Both Britain and the EU have tried to make the mess look like the others' fault. The truth is that the leading parties of both have dug their heels in and had to be pulled kicking and screaming to the negotiation table.

EDIT: Actually, re-looking at my post I see how you could easily think that I was going on about all leavers. Didn't actually mean it that way, I'm just exasperated at the situation and it's rather clouding my ability to look at my own posts from a point of view other than my own, apologies there.

EDIT2: Thinking about it, it's probably an idea to refrain from posting about anything other than generic rants when I'm feeling like this. I'm likely to get into this situation again where I say something in a poor way and wind up conveying the wrong thing. Exasperation just seems to screw with my ability to word good.

Hey, no problem. I've posted some very shaky things myself in the past  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:45:01 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: August 27, 2019, 03:23:31 am »

I'm fairly certain that the currently governing conservative parties in Norway don't really understand how doctors and medical services work.

A couple years ago:

Government: "People have made their voices heard! The waiting times for getting a doctor's appointment are unacceptable! But never fear, we shall fix this!"

Doctors: "Oh, are we getting more people? Are you finally going to expand our medical centers so we can handle everyone?"

Gov: "We will now enforce a maximum limit to how many days can be between calling to make an appointment and the day of the appointment! If a doctor exceeds this limit, they will be punished!"

Docs: "...you what?"

Recently:

Docs: "The medical system is in a crisis. General practitioners are heavily overworked and are not getting the support and facilities they need in order to start their practices. 57% of GPs have stated that they've considered quitting due to their stressed working conditions, with each individual being assigned thousands of patients while new doctors are turned away by the public system and expected to start private practices with no startup. This needs to be addressed, or the foundation of our public health system will collapse."

Gov: "Have no fear, we are here! We will solve this problem!"

Docs: "Thank you!"

Gov: "We will look into forcing GP offices to stay open longer, so that patients can receive appointments and treatment later than 4 PM on weekdays, and also be open on weekends!"

Docs: "...you fucking what?!"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: August 27, 2019, 03:33:12 am »

Well, at least you guys get THAT much out of government...

Here in the states, its all (don's snidely whiplash hat and false mustache) "Yes-- Yes! There's a worker shortage! Now the AMA members will receive EVEN MOAR money in the overpriced american healthcare system! Heheheheh! Just wait until my evil, diabolical partners in the health insurance industry learn that they can refuse even more paying members! Naturally, those fools in government would never deign to intervene, what with their love affair with Laissaze-Faire capitalism! They think the system will SORT ITSELF!! hehehehehe! Those poor suckers with healthcare problems have no choice but to pay the exorbitant fees!"

I *AM* kinda curious what is causing your healthcare worker shortage though.  Here in the states, it's a combination of "Seriously? Tuition went up *AGAIN!?*" meets face first into the oncomming train of "AMA refuses to sponsor more residents to increase number of doctors", resulting in BOTH fewer people entering education needed to satisfy the need, and of those that DO, fewer actually make it into being doctors, all the while government pretends everything is fine, ostritch style.  What's causing your worker shortage?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: August 27, 2019, 03:55:53 am »

So far as I've understood it, the public sector just doesn't want to invest the money on expanding current centers or building new centers in order to accommodate more doctors... So fresh new doctors can either twiddle their thumbs waiting for a spot to open up once one of the currently-employed docs dies or retires, or they can attempt to establish themselves as a respected private practice while footing the bill for location, equipment, and peripheral employment themselves.

And additionally, even if you do manage to beat the odds and establish yourself, as a self-employed individual you don't get the same rights and benefits as someone in a full-time position working for a larger organization. Since, after all, you're providing for yourself... So you don't need the state to ensure that you're being adequately provided for.

So it's not that there's a worker shortage, there's a worker capacity shortage. So the current crop of fully educated GPs is either heavily overworked and stressed out, or they're unemployed/bankrupt. Which, y'know, doesn't exactly make that specialization very attractive to new students, so this might very well end up resulting in an actual worker shortage once the old crop starts really falling apart.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: August 27, 2019, 04:37:05 am »

TBH family medicine is not a very attractive speciality to begin with. Even in places where GPs actually have weight within the system.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: August 27, 2019, 11:16:21 am »

I'm fairly certain that the currently governing conservative parties in Norway don't really understand how doctors and medical services work.

A couple years ago:

Government: "People have made their voices heard! The waiting times for getting a doctor's appointment are unacceptable! But never fear, we shall fix this!"

Doctors: "Oh, are we getting more people? Are you finally going to expand our medical centers so we can handle everyone?"

Gov: "We will now enforce a maximum limit to how many days can be between calling to make an appointment and the day of the appointment! If a doctor exceeds this limit, they will be punished!"

Docs: "...you what?"

Recently:

Docs: "The medical system is in a crisis. General practitioners are heavily overworked and are not getting the support and facilities they need in order to start their practices. 57% of GPs have stated that they've considered quitting due to their stressed working conditions, with each individual being assigned thousands of patients while new doctors are turned away by the public system and expected to start private practices with no startup. This needs to be addressed, or the foundation of our public health system will collapse."

Gov: "Have no fear, we are here! We will solve this problem!"

Docs: "Thank you!"

Gov: "We will look into forcing GP offices to stay open longer, so that patients can receive appointments and treatment later than 4 PM on weekdays, and also be open on weekends!"

Docs: "...you fucking what?!"

Now I'm not going to say they're taking money from the private healthcare industry to intentionally ruin the NHS, but I will say that's exactly how you would go about it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: August 27, 2019, 01:31:46 pm »

Now I'm not going to say they're taking money from the private healthcare industry to intentionally ruin the NHS, but I will say that's exactly how you would go about it.
What?! The party that's dismantled the public rail system and sold it off piecemeal to various private firms that each run a separate aspect of the whole because "competition provides better services at better prices" even though each company is effectively a monopoly due to the nature of the service?

How could you accuse them of such a thing!?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: August 28, 2019, 05:20:52 am »

Strap on your seatbelts and hold onto your hats, it's a wild ride ahead as Boris asks the Queen to suspend parliament to just a fortnight and change before the Brexit Date.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10241 on: August 28, 2019, 08:07:37 am »

Didn’t some here say that it would be political suicide for Johnson to do that as he’s wanted to be PM for a long time? I’m surprised he went through with that move. Though it’s not as severe as I suspected it might be.

It doesn’t absolutely guarantee a no-deal Brexit crash through, but it certainly makes it a heck of a lot more likely. Plus it throws Brexit right into the Queens lap where it’s the last place she’d like it to be.

And, the Queen accepts the prorogue, why did I think she might put up a fight when she ain't gonna change her ways? *facedesks*
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:17:51 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: August 28, 2019, 09:19:17 am »

Every time I look at what's going on with the UK for the last few years, I come out of it with the impression, 'Wow, y'all are fucked." Every time. Clownshoe shit makes some of what's going on stateside look better in comparison, and holy hell is that a bar to pass.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: August 28, 2019, 09:29:10 am »

So... we're screwed, we're clownshoe idiots, and America is likely better than us we've set the bar so low?

Em......... thanks?  :o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: August 28, 2019, 09:50:41 am »

You're pretty definitely screwed, your government is apparently falling over itself to do clownshoes stupid shit, and its nonsense is actually making some of the US gov't's nonsense look less terrible in comparison, yes. Unless you're actually bojo or a physical incarnation of the collective incompetence of the UK's government, that hopefully doesn't include you, personally. You're just collateral damage, just like most of the UK's population is looking to end up like.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:53:08 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 793