Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002181 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10725 on: April 29, 2020, 01:00:06 pm »

I find the idea that Basque would be particularly close to the FU culture to be completely ludicrous, though. The proto-culture basically never left the northern areas of Eurasia. That one splinter of it would somehow end up in the Pyrineans without a massive migration through (the populated) Europe is a huge, huge stretch.
How come there's a Georgia in the Caucasus and a Georgia in North America? Checkmate atheists

But in all seriousness a good example would be Turks in Anatolia and Turkic cultures in central asia disconnected from one another. Migrations that go through other culture groups is possible

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: April 29, 2020, 01:10:45 pm »

My personal guess is that Basque is related to ancient Iberian... there's not enough written of the latter to fully establish the similarity. But the numbers *are* practically the same. And the words I've seen seem kind of reminiscent. Not 100%, but rather vaguely reminiscent.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: April 29, 2020, 02:10:33 pm »

How come there's a Georgia in the Caucasus and a Georgia in North America? Checkmate atheists
Let's not forget the third Georgia in the south Atlantic.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: April 29, 2020, 02:35:12 pm »

I find the idea that Basque would be particularly close to the FU culture to be completely ludicrous, though. The proto-culture basically never left the northern areas of Eurasia. That one splinter of it would somehow end up in the Pyrineans without a massive migration through (the populated) Europe is a huge, huge stretch.

But in all seriousness a good example would be Turks in Anatolia and Turkic cultures in central asia disconnected from one another. Migrations that go through other culture groups is possible

While it's completely true that it's possible, the Turks aren't exactly cut of from the other Turkic peoples in the same way that the hypothetical FU-Basque would be cut off from the FU kern. The Turks are cut off from the Turkicore more in the way the Germanics on the Scandinavian peninsula is cut off from the Germanians in central Europe. A better example would have been the already FU Hungarians ;)

But I retake my words of it being completely ludicrous. It's possible. It would just be very unlikely.

My personal guess is that Basque is related to ancient Iberian... there's not enough written of the latter to fully establish the similarity. But the numbers *are* practically the same. And the words I've seen seem kind of reminiscent. Not 100%, but rather vaguely reminiscent.

Do you mean the still-alive-by-Roman-times Iberians? I've always assumed they were IE, but now I realise I don't base that on anything but the assumption itself.

Oh and yo mama so fat she counts as a fourth Georgia
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: April 29, 2020, 02:39:34 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: April 29, 2020, 09:13:46 pm »

Also a fourth, New Georgia in the Solomons. 

Assuming that language did not develop fully separately and independently in multiple separate places, it's technically not wrong to say that Vasconic and Uralic languages share a common ancestor, but it does not strike me as a particularly helpful assertion given how far back any such common ancestor would likely be.  Otherwise, the languages primarily hold in common that both are different pre-Indo-European languages, which is essentially a catch-all for many different language families from Europe and Asia that predate and are not ancestors of Indo-European.  Basque is commonly held to be descended from one of the various pre-Indo European languages, as are the surviving members of the Uralic and Dravidian language groups, but it does not follow from their lack of Indo-European ancestry that they are related to each other.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10733 on: May 20, 2020, 05:06:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It doesn't matter what year this image applies to

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: May 20, 2020, 05:09:27 pm »

I honestly dont know how people in the British isles cope with the subpar plumbing
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: May 20, 2020, 05:41:46 pm »

The mole men are not real people.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: May 20, 2020, 05:52:27 pm »

I... think that's needlessly racist.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: May 21, 2020, 03:48:54 am »

I... think that's needlessly racist.

What's the PC term for mole people again? I remember a few QAnons were discussing it...

Individuals of subterranean ascent?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: May 21, 2020, 03:54:38 am »

Descent  >:(
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 793