Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002072 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11655 on: September 19, 2022, 09:46:02 pm »

Look at the UK, we chronically underpay our medical staff (And it's seriously beginning to bite us in the arse) because a lot of medical staff are doing their overtime and underpaid work because they want to help. A bit like teachers, really. If you can exploit someone's secondary motivations to underpay them, they'll be underpaid.
Between the teachers and the medical staff, there are going to be some smart people. Give them a month to review the transaction history of any of those schools or hospitals and they'll find where the school or hospital is over-paying someone who isn't involved in the work. And the management of those places will never notice this because their management position depends on them keeping these expenses hidden.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #11656 on: September 20, 2022, 09:29:57 am »

It'll also presumably be brought before the ECHR by the unions, since the ECHR has previously ruled on the right to strike being a fundamental one.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:33:37 am by MorleyDev »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: September 20, 2022, 12:08:59 pm »

Meanwhile, the UK treasury's refused to publish their economic forecast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62970803

As you can see, the economy's expected to do so well that we feel no need to tell everyone how well it'll do. It certainly isn't to cover up any massive crashes, and it most definitely isn't because it'd show that Trussonomics are, in fact, a load of steaming dogshit, because we all know that trickle-down works, especially when led by people with the intelligence of a dry sponge.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: September 25, 2022, 04:18:05 pm »

Rightwing/Far-right Fratelli d'Italia appears to be the biggest party in the Italian parliamentary snap election, according to exit polls, at around 25% give or take. The rightwing coalition appears to be the biggest as well, though possibly not the majority of votes.

Five-Star Movement may be kingmaker.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11659 on: September 26, 2022, 02:18:24 am »

Meanwhile, the UK treasury's refused to publish their economic forecast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62970803

As you can see, the economy's expected to do so well that we feel no need to tell everyone how well it'll do. It certainly isn't to cover up any massive crashes, and it most definitely isn't because it'd show that Trussonomics are, in fact, a load of steaming dogshit, because we all know that trickle-down works, especially when led by people with the intelligence of a dry sponge.

Is the UK prices much affected by leaving the EU? Prices are high all over Europe right now, even up here in Sweden where we have an energy surplus (because since we've connected our tris to Germany and the UK's we pay European prices).
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11660 on: September 26, 2022, 06:52:00 am »

Trussonomics has crashed the pound to its lowest ever value. It dropped to near-parity with the dollar for a moment.

Tory MPs are fuming. Could Truss be the UK's shortest serving PM? Are we going to see a return of BoZo? Or are we going to get someone even worse again?

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-latest-chancellor-hints-at-further-tax-cuts-as-pound-falls-to-historic-low-12615118?postid=4532488#liveblog-body

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: September 26, 2022, 10:46:24 am »

Turns out HM Queen Elizabeth II was shoring up our currency  :'(
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: September 26, 2022, 11:08:25 am »

Rightwing/Far-right Fratelli d'Italia appears to be the biggest party in the Italian parliamentary snap election, according to exit polls, at around 25% give or take. The rightwing coalition appears to be the biggest as well, though possibly not the majority of votes.

Five-Star Movement may be kingmaker.

Giorgia Meloni has caused some WTFs and laughs today with all the far-right/fascist hobbit camps and such:

Quote from: France24
In the late 1970s, the far right’s Tolkien-mania inspired the creation of “Hobbit Camps”, where fans of the author gathered for book readings, political debates and far-right rock concerts, in what some described as a “fascist Woodstock”.

The camps ended in 1981, when Meloni was just 4 years old. Just over a decade later, however, she attended a revival of the festivals, dubbed “Hobbit 93”, in Rome. There she sang along with the far-right band Compagnia dell’Anello (Fellowship of the Ring), whose song “Tomorrow Belongs to Us” was an anthem of MSI’s youth wing.

...reminded me of this video:

https://youtu.be/DKP16d_WdZM

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: September 26, 2022, 11:32:06 am »

Holy shit that's the worst take anyone could ever possibly make regarding LotR. The very last thing that happens in the trilogy is the hobbits fighting off fascism from the Shire. It takes some seriously delusional mental gymnastics to twist LotR into a far-right fantasy.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: September 26, 2022, 11:43:38 am »

zt
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:08:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: September 26, 2022, 11:47:39 am »

Holy shit that's the worst take anyone could ever possibly make regarding LotR. The very last thing that happens in the trilogy is the hobbits fighting off fascism from the Shire. It takes some seriously delusional mental gymnastics to twist LotR into a far-right fantasy.
What are you talking about? The hobbits fight off immigrants to the Shire, who are of a different race and had destroyed their traditional way of life. And who makes everything right again? Veterans of a great war. You know. As in the target demographic of Fasci di Combattimento.
The hobbits were clearly speaking in Italian accent all this time, is what I'm saying.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: September 26, 2022, 12:40:22 pm »

Orcs are obviously communist, as evidenced by their complete rejection of enforced social classes and strict hierarchical systems.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: September 26, 2022, 01:17:41 pm »

rera
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:08:00 pm by dragdeler »
let

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: September 26, 2022, 01:30:45 pm »

It takes some seriously delusional mental gymnastics

That's pretty much the far-right in a nutshell.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11669 on: September 26, 2022, 10:01:35 pm »

Continuing on my "Ignore the thread's current conversation and continue posting UK stuff"

Tory MPs are already pulling out knives, supposedly a number of them are filing motions of no-confidence. Also Labour's committed themselves to PR.
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 793