Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 97153 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #1035 on: January 15, 2020, 02:52:08 pm »

No negative emotions tied to following orders? But... Didn't Clone Wars give the clones personality? And have some of them feel really bad about 66?

I suppose a direct contradiction makes as much sense as anything else in space-bibleland

It also made Order 66 an inbuilt personality override function. The clone gets basically hypnotised into carrying out the order so none of their normal emotions are there.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 15, 2020, 03:18:52 pm »

Jedi precog generally gets overstated anyway, it's enough to survive a stand up fight against a few assailants at a time in favourable conditions and see basic ideas of short term danger or veeery vague long term stuff. It is not enough to magically dodge or deflect masses of blaster fire for any real length of time or predict future events down to the day.

Well, sufficiently powerful Jedi/other Force users really can just go fight through entire armies. I refer you to the closing scene of Rogue One, one of the best Star Wars scenes of all time in my opinion, where Darth Vader just carves up a dozen or so Rebel troopers who are waiting for him, in a narrow corridor, ready to shoot, without breaking a sweat (the issue of him not just pulling a HISHE and grabbing the data card with the Force notwithstanding).

I mean, not that Darth Vader can sweat, but you get the idea.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 15, 2020, 04:27:27 pm »

Also Mace fighting an entire army of heavy combat droids, while disarmed, in the open, in clone wars 2006. :v

That scene is way more anime than starwars usually gets and I love it.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 15, 2020, 05:19:40 pm »

Also Mace fighting an entire army of heavy combat droids, while disarmed, in the open, in clone wars 2006. :v

That scene is way more anime than starwars usually gets and I love it.
I absolutely love that scene.

Speaking of, I have unwisely decided that since I am now graduated and unemployed I will read/watch nearly every single new canon piece of media. Why, you ask? Out of sheer bloody spite for how much I disliked Rise of Skywalker.

I've actually made some pretty good progress so far.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: February 03, 2020, 03:46:37 pm »

Saw Rise of Skywalker today.

Enjoyed it much more than I expected, even though it is comically disjointed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: February 03, 2020, 04:06:38 pm »

I largely missed my opportunity (is it even in theaters anywhere anymore?) so I'll probably just wait for it to go to Red Box or whatever.  I've heard nothing to really encourage me to see it sooner than later.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: February 03, 2020, 05:35:50 pm »

Yeah it's basically just a series of Deus Ex Machina events conjoined by tangential non sequitur scenes.

I enjoyed it regardless, much more than Last Jedi. I even laughed outright at a couple scenes.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: February 03, 2020, 06:54:45 pm »

Yeah it's basically just a series of Deus Ex Machina events conjoined by tangential non sequitur scenes.

I enjoyed it regardless, much more than Last Jedi. I even laughed outright at a couple scenes.

That's not quite true. It's also about pissing on the original movies and whatever the previous one was.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:16 pm »

That's not quite true. It's also about pissing on the original movies and whatever the previous one was.

True. It goes out of it's way to (extremely specifically) invalidate TLJ.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: February 03, 2020, 10:10:01 pm »

Yea, its an awful movie, just mildly enjoyable regardless!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 04, 2020, 03:08:19 am »

Yea, its an awful movie, just mildly enjoyable regardless!
Star Wars is a metaphor for life.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 04, 2020, 05:40:33 am »

I liked the second half of RoS much more than the first half.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 04, 2020, 08:17:14 am »

At first I thought "Hey, finally some halfway-likable characters!", then there were some memes, and then I just kinda appreciated the cinematography of the superlightning scene (love it when they use the audio like that) and then some other things happened and it was over.

It's better than the other Disquels, but don't try to think on it too hard. The lasers go "pew" and the force goes "vwoom" and that's all you really need to do it, do it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 04, 2020, 08:21:45 am »

Mad Max Furry Road though
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 04, 2020, 10:54:07 am »

Was reading some stuff on TheMarySue, who hate the recent Star Wars and love The Last Jedi (in fact, loving the last movie was mandatory according to them).

A lot of their grievances revolve around the sidelining of Rose Tico in the latest movie, and they were talking about all the things she represents: race, gender, progressive politics, and saying she was the best thing in The Last Jedi, and claiming that sidelining her was Abrams throwing a bone to the Neo-Nazis basically.

It occurred to me that nowhere in the defense of Rose Tico did they really talk about her having delivered a great performance or having a scintillating on screen persona. I found her just plain boring and wooden and not a very good actress. I mean, the most stand out bit is the bit where she kisses Finn and it's pretty much the lamest kiss in screen history.  This is probably why JJ sidelined here: he has an unfavorable view of the actor's ability. If he thought he could do anything with her he would have worked something out.

Maybe she'd be good in some drama film set in the present day but if you picture pretty much anyone else playing that same character you'd just imagine it being cooler, even if the same lines were delivered. Imagine if Lucy Liu was Rose Tico instead. So, bullshit on it being about her being female or asian, there are even other female asian actors who the fans would totally lap it up if they'd be cast instead of whats-her-face.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:59:52 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 81