Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218663 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1350 on: February 17, 2021, 08:23:00 am »

I don't think that the sort of fiction you consume will really have all that much of an effect on what kind of person you are.

As for me, I'd say that I prefer "heavier" stuff by that metric, but not so much because I like thinking through things deeply as that I like being lost and confused. There's a certain wonder to genuinely not having a clue what's going on.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: February 17, 2021, 09:07:08 am »

Not even fiction, necessarily. I went for "content" (which was probably a poor choice of words), and I meant it in the most general form possible. All media that you consume, be it fiction, non-fiction, or even what I've written here, I think, is subject to the idea of "intellectual heaviness". All media have ideas that are presented, and by virtue of it being presented, to be digested, filtered through the lens of what you believe. Everything has a story to tell, and everyone has their own ideas of what those stories mean to them. Perhaps that's me trying to find meaning in the ultimately-meaningless, and you're free to think and express that.

Also, I'd disagree with the idea that fiction has a weak effect on people. Fiction, I think, is stronger than non-fiction in this regard. A good story can fundamentally alter how someone thinks, especially at a young age.

The "I'm not like other girls" thing (which while sorta dead in our and older generations, is very much alive in Zoomers), for instance, is perpetuated by the idea that women have to be a certain way, as well as the glorification/idolization of women who are "different" in media. There's a pressure on girls to be "girly", but then another, sometimes stronger pressure that tells them that they should be "different" from that ideal. That's sorta the crux of the issue. The way to be "different", it seems, is to go against the "girly" stereotype. But it's also "bad" to not be "girly", so you have to "justify" it by putting down other girls who are "not different", by being not "girly" and telling the other girls that they are "girly" and therefore "not different".

Now, that's coming from me, an assigned male from birth enby, so I think the message may have gotten a little mangled there. But I'm hoping you get the point. All media can influence people. Of course, as you age and become wiser, it's usually harder to be influenced by such media, especially if it contradicts your beliefs or your identity. That's part of what I call "intellectual heaviness". Of course, it's entirely possible to 100% agree with a piece of media, but it's hard to digest because it's not something you've considered at all before, hence, "part".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: February 17, 2021, 01:17:45 pm »

I think all people have an obligation to grow, but it's a matter of circumstance as to whether you learn your stories from grandma or Flaubert.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: February 17, 2021, 03:34:12 pm »

I feel like there's a sort of spectrum of "intellectual heaviness" of media that you consume. You have "light" content, which is easy to digest (often because it contains things that you know and agree with/things you're very opposed to and can say "that's stupid"), then you have "heavy" content, which basically needs you to think real hard about what you're consuming to internalize it (often because it's things that you don't know, but you still agree with them).
This isn't consistent with my experience of media at all. I don't think it's an objective measure or even a human universal.

The "I'm not like other girls" thing (which while sorta dead in our and older generations, is very much alive in Zoomers), for instance, is perpetuated by the idea that women have to be a certain way, as well as the glorification/idolization of women who are "different" in media. There's a pressure on girls to be "girly", but then another, sometimes stronger pressure that tells them that they should be "different" from that ideal. That's sorta the crux of the issue. The way to be "different", it seems, is to go against the "girly" stereotype. But it's also "bad" to not be "girly", so you have to "justify" it by putting down other girls who are "not different", by being not "girly" and telling the other girls that they are "girly" and therefore "not different".
This kind of thing is interesting to me because my culture has never had the idea that there's a right way to be "girly", but we are slowly osmoting one from media contact. Most people my age and older, if asked, would agree to a vague idea that "girliness" is associated with pink, ribbons, sparkles, etc., but we don't think about it on our own and there's no endogenous pressure for girls to act that way (and almost all of them do not, I didn't know a single girl like that growing up, even the 'mean girls' and others fulfilling other social stereotypes); but I worry that those younger than me seem to be developing those pressures from exogenous media.

Finally, and this is more important than any other part: you are a Zoomer. Millennials are in their 30s, man. The oldest Zoomers were born in the 90s.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: February 17, 2021, 03:38:34 pm »

I'm also inclined to say that the "not like other girls" stuff was just as common among Millenials growing up. It's just that, you know, by the age of 30 or so you hopefully grow out of it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: February 17, 2021, 03:41:55 pm »

I'm also inclined to say that the "not like other girls" stuff was just as common among Millenials growing up. It's just that, you know, by the age of 30 or so you hopefully grow out of it.
(To be fair - and I think what you say is certainly true - I'm pretty sure that's what he means by "dead", which implies it was alive at some previous time.)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: February 19, 2021, 10:31:46 am »

You know, with modern anonymity... it's impossible for governments to enforce anything online.

I could write Putin x Trump slashfic and post it all over the Russian internet, and as long as I did it through Tor (or offloaded it onto an American friend) they couldn't do shit.

I already do things online like spreading propaganda against Putin and inciting people to protest against the government. Things that are illegal here. But all is justified for the greater good of Russia.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:38:33 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: February 19, 2021, 12:01:37 pm »

Although, posting that contemplation (and admission) on a publicly-accessible forum under your usual profile may not be the wisest move

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: February 19, 2021, 12:19:35 pm »

Although, posting that contemplation (and admission) on a publicly-accessible forum under your usual profile may not be the wisest move
I'd say it's fair enough. Since IPs here are not public (and she probably uses a VPN anyways). This forum is also small enough that it's not looked at by the Russian government so I doubt they would find this even if they could do much.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: February 23, 2021, 05:05:38 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:44:16 pm by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: February 26, 2021, 07:57:38 am »

I think social normalcy (as ill-defined and self-contradictory as the entire concept is) is Pareto-like. 80% of "normalcy" comes from the 20% most important social norms. Other than that, you can basically implement whatever you want on top of it, and people simply can't stop you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: February 26, 2021, 08:08:28 am »

Especially if what you want to be is a home-made welded shut bulldozer tank driver
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: February 26, 2021, 11:43:08 am »

Especially if what you want to be is a home-made welded shut bulldozer tank driver

*colin furze intensifies*

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: February 26, 2021, 11:45:19 am »

*colin furze Marvin Heemeyer intensifies*
FTFY
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: February 27, 2021, 01:33:26 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:46:50 pm by dragdeler »
let