Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Exodus from Vlanlados  (Read 27328 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Exodus from Vlanlados
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2018, 02:56:14 pm »

You know, I really hope the tractor runs on coal, because it would suck to know that you dumped your cows into the sea and your tractor is empty on gas.

Edit: Nevermind, everything runs on steam. I'm blind.

Also, Cargo Drop Plan C

-Butcher Cows, take skin and dump/eat meat. (~2 Tons)
-Butcher Goats, take skin and wool, dump/eat meat. (~1 Ton)
-Butcher Chickens, take feathers, dump/eat meat. (~1 Ton)
-Dump 50 sets of fishing tools. (.25 Tons)
-Dump 50 sets of hunting tools. (.25 Tons)
-Dump 5,000 bullets. (.5 Tons)
-Dump 10 tons of Coal. (10 Tons)
-Make up the remainder from the livestock by rounding up detritus and rusty scrap, then dumping that.

Also, I'm not sure we should scrap the ship down when we arrive. It'll be valuable shelter, and will be basically our only lifeline for trade, unless we manage to hike to the British expeditionary party that should be somewhere around Antarctica. Man. Antarctica sucks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:18:05 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2018, 03:15:14 pm »

The problem with arguments about making sure we have milk-bearing animals is that humans are he only animals to continue having milk after childhood, there are people with lactose intolerance (can't have milk) that survive just fine, and lactose tolerance only developed in northern locations like Russia and East Europe (then spreading to the rest of Europe and then the world due to migration and hen colonization) because cheeses were easier to preserve than crops, but since we don't even have enough plant life around to let the animals graze, it's just plain not a good idea.
Fishing and hunting are our best bets.

Also, anyone want a Discord for this? I've got one set up for discussion of basically whatever Bay12 forum games people want to talk about.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:16:49 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2018, 03:32:15 pm »

Sure, why not. Also, if we end up near the Transarctic Mountains, which are rich in coal, we could mount an expedition across the ice to loot the Little America Bases. Among other things, they should contain a radio, a lot of scrap metal, electrical turbine, and a whole vehicle fit for five people complete with machine shop. It may or may not have a biplane.

Avanti!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2018, 03:38:57 pm »

Ok, here's the Discord link. Someone will have to make a role for it; I'm not going to do that right now.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2018, 05:01:28 pm »

It’s worth noting that Vlanladosians are of Russian descent and are this likely lactose tolerant.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2018, 05:32:29 pm »

It's not a question of if they're lactose tolerant, it's that the fact that there are lactose-intolerant people who are just fine despite not being able to have any Milk products shows that we don't need animals just for the purpose of milk and milk derivatives.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2018, 08:11:22 pm »

INFO TIME!

First, your crew is not lactose intolerant, they have no problem consuming milk or milk products.

Second, you will get to choose an embark site in Antarctica itself once you have grown closer. Your proximity to food and resources will be discussed in more detail then.

Third, looting other arctic bases could be viable, you grossly outnumber and out-gun anyone else on the continent. On the other hand, it may draw the ire of larger nations. If they deign you enough of a problem to send their military against you, odds of survival are slim. I will probably randomize the exact position and composition of foreign bases so that I don't have to worry about historical accuracy. You don't have maps revealing the exact position of any, so you will have to scout for some near where you embark.

Fourth, Cargo Drop Plan A is only one on which multiple people have voted, so it leads with two votes. I will proceed with it soon if this does not change.

yes, I wouldn't drop hunting gear unless absolutely unavoidable

Cargo drop plan A
-Drop 2 cows (2 tons)
-Drop 20 goats (1 ton)
-2000 rations (2 tons)
-10 tons of coal

The reason behind dropping food before coal is that when we arrive there, it will be easier to find fish and prey than a coal vein we can exploit, and we will need coal to run all the machinery and keep ourselves warm.

Edited to add: Fifth, I do already have a Discord channel used for the main Arms Race forum game. I'm not sure if this one-sided adventure game needs a discord in the first place, but if there is demand I could simply add a channel there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:20:55 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2018, 08:23:38 pm »

I support a channel added to the ICAR discord.

Also, Cargo Drop Plan C

-Make up the remainder from the livestock by rounding up detritus and rusty scrap, then dumping that.
Voting for this plan.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2018, 08:28:28 pm »

I support a channel added to the ICAR discord.

Also, Cargo Drop Plan C

Voting for this plan.
also +1ing this
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2018, 08:38:38 pm »

We should also probably assign a few people do do things.

Lathe Repair
-1 Mechanics/Repair Expert
-5 Individuals to assist

Deck repair
-1 Mechanics/Repair Expert
-20 Individuals to assist
-Take apart some crates for wood, use the nails to secure everything together. If it doesn't work, then just put some canvas over the hole.

Edited:

Butchering
-1 Hunting Expert (The guy probably knows a thing or two about gutting things)
-100 Individuals to do the actual work
-Eat meat quickly, save the feathers, wool, and skins for later

Dumping
-50 Individuals
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:03:55 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:04 pm »

Deck Repair probably should have more than 11 people. We have almost 1000 to work with after all.

We need to assign some people to shearing, skinning, and butchering the livestock.
We probably need to assign some people to dumping all that stuff.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2018, 09:05:39 pm »

Fair enough. Also, we don't have to raid occupied areas, which we probably shouldn't, given that the UN is coming around soon. That base I mentioned previously? Abandoned.

Avanti!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2018, 09:17:19 pm »

Currently Cargo Drop Plan C leads with 3 votes.

Deck repair is likely to take 100 people, depending on how hard the labor of finding materials is (I am assuming you're scavenging spare furniture and/or bulkheads). The other tasks might only take a few people, besides the butchering, which another 100 people should be able to get done quickly. If you have a task with too few people assigned, and that task takes place somewhere easily accessible to idle colonists (right now, that's the entire ship), the colonists will automatically be added to the task so you do not have to fret over guessing the correct number of people to assign. Small tasks such as repairing the lathe you need only assign your expert to, if there are any idle colonists at all they can find assistance themselves. Ideally, we will not spend the game worrying too much about what five colonists here or ten colonists there are busy with.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2018, 09:25:50 pm »

Oh, good.

Edit: When we decide to settle somewhere, I'd vote for Mount Erebus. Cool place on an island slightly off the coast of the Ross Ice Shelf. Also, it happens to be the southernmost active volcano in the world.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:58:03 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2018, 10:40:20 pm »

When we decide to settle somewhere, I'd vote for Mount Erebus. Cool place on an island slightly off the coast of the Ross Ice Shelf. Also, it happens to be the southernmost active volcano in the world.

Thiel Mountains or Bust
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26