Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 402

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 490206 times)

darf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2019, 10:01:23 pm »

I think the wagon/carry idea is great, because you could embark with one terribly weak dwarf tasked to carrying the hematite all the way. This is supposing there is limited space on the wagon :/

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2019, 12:49:56 am »

I mean, for larger parties or adventurers hauling huge objects across long distances, maybe, if you could get some critters to pull--
Wait.  According to the wiki, wagons are actually creatures with no organs.  Which means...
INVINCIBLE, MOBILE COMBAT DUMMIES!  Finally, I can train a world class wrestler while traveling the world in ~*~style~*~
They can die when they get spooked, though. (Well, technically when the hauling animals get spooked.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2019, 03:14:15 am »

This is not that bad, as BigUglyWorm pointed out.

but think of the parking space and other issues that it would create!! imagine wagons flooding your fort! blocking off traffic, sinking in rivers, etc!
it would be chaos!
Or we can assume that people rich enough to own wagons are rare and it won't be an issue.  ;)

The economy release will tell.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:16:13 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2019, 05:12:13 am »

I can't get over that the more brutal the suggestion - the more it seems to actually fit the game.

Rabies:
Your dogs wander off to fight a river otter just minding its own business. Rabies gets passed as a syndrome, and soon dwarves are bubbling at the mouth.

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2019, 10:19:57 am »

I can't get over that the more brutal the suggestion - the more it seems to actually fit the game.

Rabies:
Your dogs wander off to fight a river otter just minding its own business. Rabies gets passed as a syndrome, and soon dwarves are bubbling at the mouth.
IRL rabies has a 100% mortality rate, so it'd be like a weaker, more-immediately-fatal werebeast syndrome.

And yes, DF lends itself very well to brutality.
Let's not forget, this is the game that - organically and unintentionally - gave rise to the great merbone farming incident back in the day.
We must prepare for the Vomitpocalypse.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2019, 10:32:54 am »

Rabies:
IRL rabies has a 100% mortality rate, so it'd be like a weaker, more-immediately-fatal werebeast syndrome.

And yes, DF lends itself very well to brutality.
Let's not forget, this is the game that - organically and unintentionally - gave rise to the great merbone farming incident back in the day.
There's this girl that actually survived and she's probably now chained on a lab or something.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2019, 07:16:43 pm »

I thought it was treatable before incubation. After being bit and before symptoms, you have to get 9 injections in the gut or something equally unpleasant. Dwarf equivalent is probably a single injection of you into magma.

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2019, 03:29:26 am »

I always forget about the Milwaukee Protocol, which can cure an active rabies infection, but 1) it has a spotty record of effectiveness, to the point where some folks think it only works on a specific, weaker strain of the virus, and 2) it tends to leave patients with permanent brain damage. Read about it here -->https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Milwaukee_protocol.html

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2019, 05:31:05 am »

I thought it was treatable before incubation. After being bit and before symptoms, you have to get 9 injections in the gut or something equally unpleasant. Dwarf equivalent is probably a single injection of you into magma.
Yeah it is, but if symptoms appears you are toasted. That's why if you are bitten by a wild or street animal you need to catch it and have it tested (a more adrenaline charged version of pokemon), otherwise, against uncertainty you'll need to get the shots just in case and they are described as one of the most painful shit you can inject in your body.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2019, 09:36:35 am »

The blurb when I searched Milwaukee Protocol:

"The Milwaukee protocol, a procedure reported to prevent death after the onset of rabies symptoms, has been performed over 26 times since its inception in 2004 but has only saved one life. Overwhelming failure has lead health officials to label the protocol a red herring. Rabies is caused by the rabies virus, an RNA-based virus in the genus Lyssavirus."

I've never been prouder to be a Wisconsinite.

Suggestion:
Vaccination. Dwarves can be vaccinated to vampirism/werebeast strains through inoculation. How you get those inoculations - I have no clue. Preferably something involving a blender.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2019, 09:10:57 pm »

You'd need a spiritual inoculation in addition to the physical one.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2019, 01:52:25 am »

How you get those inoculations - I have no clue.
If it's like real-life inoculation, you'd extract blood from an afflicted individual, inactivate the pathogen (brief exposure to magma??), and inject the resulting serum into patients.  And hey, as long as we're adding syringes, can we also add wieldable scalpels so I can finally play Adventurer while RP'ing as the Repo Man from Repo: the Genetic Opera?  And also maybe make the available poisons and venoms actually do something...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2019, 03:07:37 am »

Organ transplants.

When the economy is triggered (after being implemented again) the price of transplants becomes exorbitant. Organs are available for rent ala Repo! The Genetic Opera.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2019, 05:11:39 am »

1: You need to embark with a needle, or you can never make clothing or leather - ever.
2: You need to designate a latrine zone for your dwarfs to use.
2.5: Latrines cause massive localized pollution and miasma.
3: Dwarfs can fart and cause miasma.
4: Natural gas pockets in the earth - digging into one automatically asphyxiates the dwarfs, and causes an explosion.
5: Introducing a more hard core UnderDark to the game :) .
6: Implementing MSHA into the game.
7: More bureaucratic jobs.
8: Warp stones .
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2019, 05:14:40 pm »

1: You need to embark with a needle, or you can never make clothing or leather - ever.
2: You need to designate a latrine zone for your dwarfs to use.
2.5: Latrines cause massive localized pollution and miasma.
3: Dwarfs can fart and cause miasma.
4: Natural gas pockets in the earth - digging into one automatically asphyxiates the dwarfs, and causes an explosion.
5: Introducing a more hard core UnderDark to the game :) .
6: Implementing MSHA into the game.
7: More bureaucratic jobs.
8: Warp stones .

meh, the only bad stuff here is the "toilet"-related stuff..
Though I sort of think having to have "equipment"/"toolsets" as something physical necessary for certain jobs wouldn't be a bad idea, provided that embark points were maybe altered to take them into account.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 402