Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112249 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #480 on: August 26, 2019, 06:50:47 pm »

No burying bodies, we still want those.

We are a necromancer, and there's nothing wrong with a little socially sanctioned murder so we can gather spare parts. :3
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 26, 2019, 06:54:29 pm »

We are a necromancer, and there's nothing wrong with a little socially sanctioned murder so we can gather spare parts. :3
+1
We are going to use the bodies

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #482 on: August 27, 2019, 03:20:12 am »

We can make a single memorial for all the people we kill after we finish killing people. More efficient that way.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 27, 2019, 08:30:33 am »

Woohoo!
Piecewise is pretty awesome.

And now... It's feeding time. Feeding on those sweet sweet memories and skills.

First we should make sure nobody is watching. Then we should help Piecewise hide the bodies. Then we should feed.

Make sure we're not consumed by their memories, stop if it gets overwhelming.

Then reanimate them and give control to a ghost that looks capable enough to move their body. No sense wasting good bodies.
+1
+1
+1

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 27, 2019, 12:53:34 pm »

Oh ho ho.

I said they were maybe just regular dudes, but IIRC that's not how we do.

Peruse their recent memories for useful information. Maybe a month or so each, tops. Discard the rest. Animate the bodies using the hearts and the strongest-looking anima we can find. Since we've never done this before, we do one and check the results. We should make sure we don't accidentally create something with more will than is good for it us.

Then name them with names ending in -wise.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 27, 2019, 12:59:23 pm »

Oh ho ho.

Peruse their recent memories for useful information. Maybe a month or so each, tops. Discard the rest. Animate the bodies using the hearts and the strongest-looking anima we can find. Since we've never done this before, we do one and check the results. We should make sure we don't accidentally create something with more will than is good for it us.

+1 but shouldn’t we take all of the memories so that we have extra memories to feed the phantoms?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 27, 2019, 01:02:54 pm »

Oh ho ho.

+1 but shouldn’t we take all of the memories so that we have extra memories to feed the phantoms?

Presumably we can sic em on other bad guys, let em get their mind snacks like that.

But yeah you're right I guess we should hang on to some.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #487 on: August 29, 2019, 11:17:56 am »

Woohoo!
Piecewise is pretty awesome.

And now... It's feeding time. Feeding on those sweet sweet memories and skills.

First we should make sure nobody is watching. Then we should help Piecewise hide the bodies. Then we should feed.

Make sure we're not consumed by their memories, stop if it gets overwhelming.

Then reanimate them and give control to a ghost that looks capable enough to move their body. No sense wasting good bodies.
+1
+1
+1

+1
+1
You slip  out of the alley and immediately order Piecewise to move the bodies into the nearest alleyway. He grabs two by the collar, one in each hand, and drags them the into the shaded confines of an alley, with you and Esme carrying the last between you.  As soon as you're out of immediate sight you order piecewise to busy himself cleaning up the scene as best as he can, hiding the blood at least for the moment.  The skeleton leans down and yanks the metal spike out of the back of the dead man's head, wiping the blood and brain matter off on the man's coat before vanishing the blade up his shirt sleeve and walking out to deal with the scene. You watch him go for a moment and then turn to the bodies. Their connection to the anima is gone and their memories are flowing out of them, gathering in great clouds of images. The fish creatures from the anima are starting to swarm down, drawn by this chum of dying consciousness. You slap your hand down over the closest man's head and feel the memories  flow into you.

Its different from when you killed the chicken, different from when Esme granted you memories of her own. Those were a shallow pool and a carefully regulated shower, but this is a fire hose. Something like 25 years of memory condensed down into a few dozen seconds. Its far too much for you to consciously comprehend, too much to parse into anything but a vivid blur of sensation and imagery. You don't even know how long it lasts, the conceptions of time from those memories shatter your own and you feel like years and seconds are passing in the same span. Its too much, too much too fast, you just can't understand, you can't see it all.

It feels amazing.

And then it ends with a jolt and you are laying on the ground, grasping at the back of your head in confusion. You felt something hit you and then...No, that was Daniel, his death. 

You blink.

Daniel?

You look at the body and you know him. You know him like you know yourself. You know his name, the name of his parents, the name of the dog he has at the little apartment he's renting above the bakery downtown. You know the mailman keeps delivering his letters to the man next door and that he was planning to see someone about it tomorrow. You know he was hungry. You know the smile of his baby brother, out in the farms hundreds of miles away. The creak of the farmhouse stairs. The sound of rattling pipes in the morning when he was young- the water heater was right next to his room. The smell of mud and blooms after the thunder storms. Family staring back at him. Money in envelopes, their names on them. Boots too tight. One more shift this week.

You rip yourself out of the cascading memories. Everything he knew, everything he was, is now in you. You feel it sitting there, abstract yet heavy.  You pick up his rifle and check it. The slide is sticky about halfway through the motion, just like he remembered. You take the important things from his pockets: wallet, keys, extra magazines, identification badge.  You hand them to Esme and then, somewhat in a daze, you move on to the next one.

How much time has passed? Is it a day?  A month? A year?  You feel very old. You've lived nearly a century now, in other people's memories. It felt good every time and by the time you reached the third man...Isaac...you had accustomed yourself to holding back the tide of memories. You can pull them out a bit at a time now. Though there are still sometimes emotional implications bound to them that hit you unexpectedly, like cold water down your spine. You're sitting against the wall of the alley, staring up at slowly falling snow. Esme is standing over you, holding three rifles like someone might hold firewood. She isn't saying anything.

Piecewise steps back into the alley, clothing still wet from where he used snow to scrub the blood off his jacket.  Oh thats right...its still tonight.

You ask Esme how long all this took.

"About 10 minutes I think." she says, though she doesn't check her watch.

You take a deep breath and stand up.  If these bodies are gonna be reanimated they need a core. You need to choose what it will be and where you'll put it in the body. You still have the nails from before, along with the knife and the knives these men carried. Any of that would do. Should also probably disguise their injuries. The ones Piecewise stabbed in the brain or spike would be easy enough to hide with a hat and collar but the third one...he's a lot more bloody and obvious.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 30, 2019, 04:58:25 am »

Lets use the nails as the cores and use the snow to get the blood of the one guy.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 30, 2019, 09:12:55 am »

Lets use the nails as the cores and use the snow to get the blood of the one guy.
Yes, we can fit the nails deep inside the bodies and stitch them up

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 30, 2019, 01:28:23 pm »

Very good writing.

Anyway are these guys going to rot after we animate them? Because that'll give em away real quick. Daniel who has a baby brother and a family he sent money to might kill other local policemen more efficiently and arouse less suspicion without flesh.

Also IIRC Piecewise is using a human heart for a core. We should use their hearts. No doubt using an organic core, much less one that came with the kit as it were, would be more effective.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 30, 2019, 01:36:21 pm »

Yeah, the heart core seems to increase effectiveness. I think we might need to physically remove it, wrap the anima around it, then put it back into the body.
We could probably make all three like Piecewise, but it would take time. Time we don't want to spend in some random alley.

I'm not sure if a phantom would let us kick it out of its body so that we can change cores, so maybe it would be better to puppet these three back home, deanimate them, then make them heart skeletons with phantoms.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 30, 2019, 02:48:44 pm »

If they don’t rot, we can puppet them. No one knows they are dead yet, and we have their memories. We can use them as spies if we directly puppet them

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 30, 2019, 03:37:11 pm »

If they don’t rot, we can puppet them. No one knows they are dead yet, and we have their memories. We can use them as spies if we directly puppet them

Ya just depends on their state of preservation.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #494 on: August 30, 2019, 10:05:41 pm »

I'll just say that you, that is the character, do not know if necromantic bodies rot. The text you read never spoke about it and no one has said anything about it yet.  Esme might know, or not.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 94