Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Noita  (Read 49729 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Noita
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 08:22:38 am »

I met the dragonworm once, and died instantly. Barely even saw it.
It'd probably be trivial with melee immunity, though. All the other worms at least only have a melee attack, and can't hurt you in any way if you have the perk.

I watched a run where someone just... took one pip of lighting bolt (the jaggy screw off one with the zappy explosion at the end) in a wand early and then facerolled the rest of the game. Killed multiple temple guardians with it, since apparently they can be stunlocked by electricity. It's was pretty amusing, in some ways...
My first win was becoming immune to both electricity and explosions, and then finding a lightning bolt wand. It's really powerful, but also very easy to kill yourself with it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 09:16:35 am »

I met the dragonworm once, and died instantly. Barely even saw it.
It'd probably be trivial with melee immunity, though. All the other worms at least only have a melee attack, and can't hurt you in any way if you have the perk.
I'll just say it has more than melee, but I did manage to kill it 2nd time.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2019, 08:47:49 pm »

Haven't won yet, though I've made it to the jungle twice.  Last time I got to the jungle with nothing but spark bolt, cause I found a wand with three more spark bolts and 0.03 second cast time, so I just ran around blasting dudes with five instant hits, which is better than you'd think even with that wand.

After Hiisi Base I found basically the same wand with six heavy magic bolts, which was a lot better obviously, but I died because fuck the jungle.

Also, heavy shot gives the bonus damage to beam spells but doesn't affect their trajectory.  A wand with just heavy spell and concentrated light does 66 damage on a straight vector and bounces.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:10:37 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2019, 10:25:04 am »

This probably belongs here more than the deaths thread...

Had a reasonably successful run earlier today that got cut short by dropping down the shaft into the ice caves and landing on top of 3 jetpack assholes and a tank, backed up by a sniper and lightning spirit. That was another run where I got to abuse and exploit the Homing Projectiles perk for all it's worth.

So, the perk in general is just sorta okay... It likes to fuck with long-range shots because it'll just find something else to home in on, even if it's on the other side of a wall, and some projectiles really don't work well with the homing in general.

But then we get to abnormal projectiles, and things start getting fun... A number of spells are classed as "projectiles" even when they don't work like your standard shooty bolts and fireballs. The mist spells (slime/blood/whiskey etc.), for instance. The center of the mist cloud is technically a projectile, it just has 0 speed and 0 gravity and doesn't disappear when it "hits" something. The green rain cloud from the acid rain spell is also a projectile, as are the explosions from the cross charge spells.

Homing goes absolutely apeshit with these projectiles. Since they normally have no speed or gravity, the only force acting upon them is the "slight" homing effect, causing them to zero in on nearby enemies with extreme prejudice. Now, having your own little acid storm cloud following you around is already pretty disastrous, but how about we make this even worse?

Projectile modifiers work on these abnormal projectiles. This includes stuff like fire trails, poison trails... And lightning charge. It's only +8 electric damage or so, but it's +8 every time a projectile "impacts" an enemy... Which in the case of abnormal projectiles like mist clouds can happen hundreds of times for a single shot, because the hitbox will intersect with an enemy but the projectile won't go away. And of course it'll shock liquids and metals and stun enemies and all that good stuff.

On my best run, I had two wands that abused this synergy. One was just a paired set of electric cross charges, so while the explosion is charging up they'd home in on and zap anything that moved before detonating. Very handy, and actually remarkably manageable.

Then there was the Armageddon wand. Pure destruction. A timed spark bolt that fired a quadruple multishot of four whiskey mists, with a projectile modifier... Namely, fireball thrower. Because of how modifiers and multicasts work, it used a single charge of fireball thrower to apply it to all four mists. Hurl it into a room and go hide behind something while the world ends.

I miss that wand...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 08:33:04 pm »

...the thing in the eastern diamond is, like. The worst. Death message suggests explosion immunity would make it less suicidal, though. Still. Barring that it's probably the worst perk I've seen yet, yeesh. It looks pretty neat, too, for the few seconds it takes to notice the damage numbers showing up :-\

E:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:04:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2019, 01:52:46 am »

Explosion immunity the worst perk you've seen? You must not have seen many perks then. I'd definitely class explosion immunity above More Love/Hate, Oil/Slime Blood, and even Toxic Immunity. Among others.

Haven't even gotten to any of the works yet, the game is surprisingly massive considering its early state of development... And how many dumb little annoyances are still in the game, like impossible alchemy recipes (kinda understandable considering how absolutely ridiculous Midas' Draught is) and blasphemous worms...

There's apparently a new beta version that dropped yesterday that fixes some of the stuff with worms angering the gods, and also makes you start the game with a full flask of water to make the early going a little easier.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2019, 06:00:58 am »

What? No, no, explosion immunity is bloody ace, one of the better perks. It would make the spoilery perk I was actually referencing maybe not slowly kill you. Between vids and actually playing I think I've seen most of the temple perks, at the absolute least, heh.

Any case, works is super easy to get to if you have a source of infinite flight (I was just cheating and had infinite lev, but I've seen legit ways to pull it off).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 06:02:29 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2019, 06:35:55 am »

There are also works to the east, west, and down. The sky works are just some of the easier ones to get to, comparatively speaking...

There's a map. It was... Quite a lot bigger than I was expecting (that's what she said).

Especially considering there were notes on all four edges saying "repeats infinitely until the game becomes unstable and crashes"... And I'm just here trying to get down to the Vault again.

But yeah, explosion immunity neutralizes the main issue of that one. I'm pretty sure it goes a bit nutty if you have Glass Cannon as well, so if you've got immunity you basically just turn into a wrecking ball.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2019, 09:26:01 am »

... so frozen field is neat. Also freakishly, freakishly annoying. Well, and suicidally deadly, even more so if paired with anything that adds liquid generation (more blood, slime blood, whatever). It will trap you in ice. Constantly. Toxic ice. While things shoot at you. Probably never take that perk.

Maybe could tweak it so you can phase or automatically eat through frozen stuff, I'unno. As is it's mostly a "kill me" button.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2019, 09:57:54 am »

If you have any kind of standard projectile spell (spark bolt, energy bolt etc.) you can easily just smash through it. I managed to trap myself with frozen field once in the holy shop when I'd just discovered the spell and wanted to find out how it worked... Just smack the ice a bit with anything and it'll shatter enough for you to get free and breathe. Also I generally never use it unless I can stick it onto a trigger bolt.

The toxic ice part sounds awful though. Shame toxic immunity doesn't cover toxic ice/rock....

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2019, 12:07:56 pm »

There's a sphere of stillness spell, which is handy. Then there's freeze field, which is a perk with a similar effect constantly on you. Okay, it's cool, you can walk on water, toxic sludge probably won't bother you anymore... but whenever you get hit, your blood instantly freezes around you, trapping you in place. It's a bit jank.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2019, 12:35:21 pm »

Toxic sludge definitely does bother you, even more than before even... It freezes into toxic ice, which damages you as long as you're in contact with it and can't be transformed into water like normal sludge.

Freeze field does put out fires though, which is pretty neat.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2019, 01:38:43 pm »

You can break through the freeze field ice with several different things... but none of them particularly quickly. It basically only takes one or two unfortunately timed entrapments to just see you kinda' dead, and unfortunately timed entrapments are like 90% of what the perk provides :P

Also maybe I misremembered the name? I was talking the perk that passively freezes liquids near you, not a spell component or somethin'. It's neat in a lot of ways, but stupidly deadly for you. Like, I was cheating so it didn't kill me, but I lost count of the amount of times I bled or something bled on me or otherwise dumped liquid over my head, just in time for an explosion or burrower or something to slam into me. You don't survive freeze field, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2019, 03:05:25 pm »

Freeze Field is... somewhat situational. I think it's good overall, though. No more drowning, everything is ice and you can shoot through it. No more burning, fires go out when you pass. No more lava. Most things that could stain your robe freeze, so you can make better use of Invisibility and Stainless Armor. Just make sure you have something that can cut through ice (I'd recommend a chainsaw, a drill, or those big blue energy spheres) and really watch out for toxic sludge.
I've never had it at the same time with More Blood, but yeah, I can see why that would be really bad.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2019, 03:27:27 pm »

Speaking of more blood... As a vampire, do your best to find a chainsaw. Chainsawing meat/rotten meat produces a ridiculous amount of blood, often several times the size of the original creature.

In my 5:30 hour run (that got ended by a single blinding shot), I'm pretty sure I drank several thousand liters of blood... And the Hiisi base was still a total abbatoir when I left.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20