Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 116182 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #495 on: April 20, 2020, 08:01:26 pm »

So how would I go about surviving turrets in a vehicle, while also having some ability to actually see and not take out a few dozen trees and the front of my car?
Install wing mirrors out the sides and curtains covering the windshield.

This is such cheesy bullshit, I love it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 21, 2020, 10:53:33 am »

So how would I go about surviving turrets in a vehicle, while also having some ability to actually see and not take out a few dozen trees and the front of my car?

Relevant demonstration of advanced AI in action.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 21, 2020, 02:26:19 pm »

Relevant demonstration of advanced AI in action.

Apparently, you only need a non-clear bottle.  I'd suggest aspirin, just in case you start to think about it too much.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 22, 2020, 05:54:09 am »

sorry, but what happened with the experimental building for win???

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 23, 2020, 11:26:48 am »

Meanwhile, I self-PR'd something I'm working on in Arcana.

What I have so far:
  • Added the last mission for Johnathan. It's prefaced with a basic investigative mission, regarding the player to gather intel to pinpoint the location of a suspected anomaly and clean out the source. Players with the correct traits, stats, or skills can potentially opt to investigate more directly, poking around at the site of once anomalous attack to acquire clues.
  • Main fallback method is simply talking to a variety of the major NPCs, just like how the most basic way to fulfill Sofia's fourth mission entails talking to a given number of a wide selection of NPCs. The old guard representative can directly provide everything you need if you've reached Marshal (otherwise he can only provide one datapoint), and the hermit is also valid to go to for resolving the quest. The arcanist merchant acquired if you resolved Sofia's fifth mission peacefully will even outright suggest talking to the hermit, when asked about it.
  • However you end up helping Johnathan narrow down the location, this unlocks his final mission, to hunt down a specific newly-added monster in a new anomaly. The exact contents of the location and what you encounter there is a fair bit of a spoiler. Suffice to say there is a new monster or two, new traps, spell effects/interactions, and the like to make the location challenging to get through. Most of the threats available can all in some way be mitigated by the various tools at your disposal, especially late-game magical items.
  • Some rebalancing regarding how certain monsters in arcana use cold-type damage, making it a bit more more prevalent among ghostly critters, plus some tweaks to summoned hunting horrors and summoned shadow snakes.
  • Set it so that Holy Ward protects against cold-type damage as well.
  • Set it so that Consecrate and similar spells affect summoned monsters as well as basic nether critters, also made the archon fields less common when called by the gaze attack.
  • Removed a subspell I'd accidentally added for a spell that was scrapped and never committed (due to causing crashes if misused).

Todo:
  • There is a unique magical item planned as a reward for clearing the final location out, with some potential crafting usage.
  • Might be feasible to add some optional banter for Johnathan that replaces the mission query.
  • I also have two more missions planned for Sofia, and they will be much less complicated than all of this. At least one of the NPCs you'd be able to unlock via completing her next-to-last mission peacefully should also be viable as a datapoint for the first mission.
  • Sofia's last mission will also allow me to finally establish the Arcana Purifiers plotline, though any actual missions will have to wait for a later PR.
  • A fair bit of mod_tileset work left unfinished thus far.

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 23, 2020, 04:46:03 pm »

As to your spoiler-ed last mission:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 24, 2020, 06:47:05 am »

Does anyone know if you can make a mod that blocks all the game's overmap tiles from spawning and replaces all of it with something else and it not break everything, or am I going to be stuck with forests and rivers no matter what.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 24, 2020, 11:39:08 am »

Does anyone know if you can make a mod that blocks all the game's overmap tiles from spawning and replaces all of it with something else and it not break everything, or am I going to be stuck with forests and rivers no matter what.

The game comes with an experimental Desert mod, I hope it still works.  Kinda broken in that it replaces almost all Field tiles with Desert, so it used to be that you had like 3 tiles in the entire world that you could use to set up a base.  And they were spawned by the Helicopter crash scenario, so lots of !!FUN!! on that particular tile.

But now, if it works, you should be able to use an Evac shelter or a firestation as a base.  I'm at the office, so I can't test for a bit, but thanks for the idea of what to do later today!

anothersimulacrum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 24, 2020, 04:29:18 pm »

I believe dpwb spent about a week ripping out all the setting specific stuff and was left with simply forests, rivers, and lakes at the end, so I think those are hardcoded mapgen you can't get rid of.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 24, 2020, 05:45:25 pm »

As to your spoiler-ed last mission:

In a nutshell:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 25, 2020, 05:42:27 am »

I believe dpwb spent about a week ripping out all the setting specific stuff and was left with simply forests, rivers, and lakes at the end, so I think those are hardcoded mapgen you can't get rid of.
Well that sucks because I was wanting to see how hard it would be to try to make something like SCP 3008 where its just a store that goes on forever, but having rivers, forests, and lakes running through it kinda messes up that idea.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #506 on: April 25, 2020, 09:31:57 am »

What's wrong with a store that gargantuan having it's own ecosystem? Who's to say that store hasn't been there for thousands and thousands of years, allowing all sorts of craziness from internal mechanisms gone wrong?

Rivers, Trees, Lakes:
The mists put out by a massive area of vegetable sprayers evaporates, gets caught in the airflow towards a huge floor displays area, washes up the sides of giant soda boxes displays, condenses and precipitates into a river, and this river flows into a garden section.
Eventually enough potting soil gets knocked into the water that it both dams it up and allows for the inevitably stocked tree seeds to grow.
 :P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:34:42 am by n9103 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 25, 2020, 04:17:38 pm »

Agreed, any building with a leak will eventually have a river and a lake.  I think the Desert landscape would be relatively close to reflecting a store floor with a millennia of accumulated dust.

EDIT: Sigh, those SCPs.  Somebody mentions one, and 3 hours latter you remember there is really something else you should be doing...
More useful, there are world setting where you can set the city size to maximum and the city spacing to minimum, although you probably already knew that.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 26, 2020, 03:34:37 am »

So I decided to mess with stuff to see if I could get the results I wanted and after I put city spacing and size to zero I discovered that if I mess with the regional_map_settings I can get rid of everything but rivers and fields, so does anyone know a way I can replace field in "default_oter": "field", and with a .json map it actually work, because I've been trying and I can't seem to get anything to work.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 26, 2020, 06:35:41 am »

Well, the Desert map changes all the fields to desert.  Dunno if that helps in any way.  Essentially create a mod.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57