Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25

Author Topic: Oldlands: Age of Dwarves  (Read 32286 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oldlands: Age of Decay
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2019, 01:33:03 am »

Glacial
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2019, 02:22:31 am »

It crossed the sky one night, crashing into the mountainside. The shockwave uprooted trees as far as five spans away, their mangled trunks spread across the plain. The crater soon filled with water, creating a new lake. Then came the cold wind from the north, and snow.

The valley had known cold winters before, but never this hard. The year 71 would become known in the Oldlands' history as Summer's End. In 72, when it was clear the snow and ice were here to stay, emergency council recalled many of the Theliiri back from distant stakeouts. They fortified their dwellings against the wind, they caught fish and tried out its fat into oil. They made thick clothes for themselves out of the skins of animals.

Adela Reríth watched her people bring in a fresh load of deadwood. The beast-elves would never chop living trees, but what if all the trees died of cold? Would her people have the strength to sacrifice the remains for their own survival, or would they prefer to die too?

The Theliiri had been little more than animals forty years ago, but under her guidance they rode the wave of change and became the dominant force in Oldlands. Now it simply had to be done again; the new cataclysm was not a curse but a blessing, a way for her people to better themselves. Adela knew everything about natural selection—she had learned from the best, and she had no heart.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
In the Age of Decay, the Theliiri population slowly dwindles and the Age ends when either they master their new environment, or another, more adapted group begins to dominate the region. Choose two options:
  • Mad wizard. Builds a laboratory somewhere secluded and will create new monsters every year. Not harmed by his own creations.
  • Undeath. Vîrfesh rises from the dead as a skeletal dragon. Add a skeleton wandering monster to every tomb in the dungeon.
  • Frost giants. The Dwarves' ancestral enemy. They get a slow start but are powerful and quite at home in the cold.
  • Harpies. Intelligent, malicious bird people. Tend to form large swarms and attack wealthy groups.
  • Troll. Lone wandering monster, not deadly but extremely difficult to kill.
  • Manticore. An alpha predator. Depending on hunting success it may reproduce and raise hatchlings.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:26:21 am by Murphy »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2019, 02:29:16 am »

Wizard and a troll!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2019, 02:43:20 am »

Mad wizard and undeath, sorry dracoliches are too cool

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2019, 03:05:31 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2019, 03:59:48 am »

Undeath and Manticore
More beasties!
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2019, 04:11:50 am »

Mad wizard
Manticore
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:46:34 am by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2019, 06:44:15 am »

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2019, 06:46:10 am »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2019, 08:54:16 am »

Mad Wizard
Manticore

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2019, 11:21:32 am »

Mad Wizard
Manticore

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2019, 11:44:34 am »

+1

That is cool sounding, yes!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2019, 12:00:37 am »

Hmm... wizard 9, troll 2, undeath 4, manticore 5? Okay.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
No expeditions were being sent underground anymore, which was unfortunate because a dangerous predator, manticore, had arrived from elsewhere in the valley and settled in the caves not far from the grove. The wild herds that used to provide its sustenance had all migrated away from the freezing landscape, so the creature resorted to more dangerous prey: the Theliiri.

The dwarves tilled their underground farms, the mushroom harvest finally becoming large enough to sustain them completely without reliance on stored supplies. It wasn't exactly palatial cuisine, but it kept them alive.

Galkagaval at last had time and resources to map the full extent of the goblin citadel, and they discovered an abandoned temple with its gold furnishings still intact. The goblins had built it when they first discovered the now-depleted gold vein. A few of the crazier outcasts saw this as a sign and set up a shrine dedicated to Kostru, the human god of greed.

In the fall of 72, an exile named Ÿare Mithamathaci undertook a journey into the caves. Ÿare was a master of venoms, and he had been unable to find any useful ingredients on the surface since last year. He knew that the caves were once home to primordial beasts and hoped to use transmutation to recreate some of their properties in creatures of today. It would take many, many experiments to do so, so Ÿare settled down underground and set out to collect herbs growing on the goblin battlefields of old.

His first creation was Ulireare, not a true living being but a blob of matter possessed by a summoned spirit. Its birth was something of an accident, but Ÿare learned a lot from it. It was new magic, a crude form of that used by the Creator himself in a time before time.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2019, 12:07:43 am »

Question, you said the Thelliri are beast elves? What types of beast to they most look like? Are they like the DR animal people?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2019, 12:30:04 am »

Question, you said the Thelliri are beast elves? What types of beast to they most look like? Are they like the DR animal people?

At one point I think they were called "cat-like". Ill see i'f I can find the quote.

Edit: Found it

The arboreal proto-elves called Theliiri were one of the younger species in this world. They had prehensile feet, pointy catlike ears and a green thumb (that last one is not literal). Some of them also possessed the ability to draw sustenance from trees as well as mold living wood into any shape necessary.

Not quite sure what "prehensile feet" look like though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:32:56 am by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25