Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423718 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2730 on: April 27, 2020, 08:25:01 pm »

I doubt Xi Jinping would respond with nukes even if the fine was carried out.

Some punitive action is overdue for China at this point anyway, even if not directly for their coronavirus response.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: April 27, 2020, 08:27:04 pm »

Some punitive action is overdue for China at this point anyway, even if not directly for their coronavirus response.
Xi will probably just ignore any fines thrown his way and maybe do some trade-related retaliation.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: April 27, 2020, 08:37:15 pm »

I mean, considering we've turned around and exported cases back to china (and other nations, iirc), I'm pretty sure the play there is to just sue back for as much or more. Maybe (fake)gold plate a turd, glue a dead fuzzy caterpillar on top of it, and mail it to the white house. "Sorry, we seem to have found the POTUS you idiots misplaced, have it back." Attached can be a finder's fee for whatever the requested reparations value is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: April 27, 2020, 08:55:30 pm »

Henry V, Act 1, Scene 2

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: April 27, 2020, 11:19:54 pm »

Based on what, inaccurate number of dead?
They'll turn around and point that no country with a major outbreak is keeping accurate counts regarding cases.  I doubt there's a case.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: April 27, 2020, 11:31:45 pm »

There's precious few that have shown any sign of even matching china's response in terms of effectiveness, yeah, from what we seem to be able to tell. Nevermind doing better. Without that trying to pin something on the nation for being the one to have lost this round of the pandemic lotto is probably pretty futile.

The implications for actually managing it and winning would probably be fucking hilarious, though. Please, someone open the flood gates to having precedent for winning a case and having it stick related to internal incompetence or mismanagement splashing onto other countries. Please. You'd create a cottage industry overnight of folks bleeding the U.S. dry via punitive measures :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: April 28, 2020, 12:04:28 am »

They'll turn around and point that no country with a major outbreak is keeping accurate counts regarding cases.  I doubt there's a case.

I was thinking more broadly, along the lines of the Muslim concentration camps, brutal oppression in Hong Kong, etc. Some punitive action is long overdue for that. If it comes along under the coronavirus banner it's fine by me.

Sorry, should have made that more clear.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: April 28, 2020, 12:07:22 am »

I mean, considering we've turned around and exported cases back to china (and other nations, iirc), I'm pretty sure the play there is to just sue back for as much or more.

That just means we could sue China again since they are responsible for us spreading it back to them... So China would have to pay damages to themselves ;)
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: April 28, 2020, 12:19:23 am »

I was thinking more broadly, along the lines of the Muslim concentration camps, brutal oppression in Hong Kong, etc.
Yeah. But it's not going happen, unfortunately

Some punitive action is long overdue for that. If it comes along under the coronavirus banner it's fine by me.
It shouldn't be. Punitive action for the wrong reasons does not help anyone.

At any rate it's highly unlikely there will be punitive actions for coronavirus either
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: April 28, 2020, 02:54:37 am »

In a press conference, Trump said that it will be seriously investigated in what way China can be held responsible for the spread of the corona virus.
He said "I am not happy with China", and he "believes that the outbreak could have been stopped at the source".
"Perhaps it was inabilty to do something, or maybe it was something else. We are going to find out".
He alluded to financial compensation by China as well.
 "Germany is talking about 130 billion euros. You can count on it that our damages are even higher".

I wonder what he'll say when Chinese nukes fly towards the US.  Probably "hey I was just being sarcastic".

I expect it to be as effective as Mexico paying for the wall.

With bonus of enraged China (that should be poked for human right violations instead) and presenting USA as an ineffective bunch of idiots.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: April 28, 2020, 03:06:05 am »

'He alluded to' is different from 'he demanded'.

I don't disagree with anything in those quotes. Find out why it happened and what went wrong. If China is held responsible it might tighten up its health and safety.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: April 28, 2020, 04:09:51 am »

If there's anyplace on this planet that is not to blame for any of this it's Antarctica.  That said we have no cases of coronavirus down here.  Absolutely zero.  Come on down!

When you book a ship to Antarctica tell them to take you to New Berlin, a good 95 of the ship captains shipping down here work for us or are us, so chances are they will know where you are talking about.  Once you get there find the first reptilian there and mention that you are there to see Greiger, they will show you how to get to my farm in the underdome.

Once you get there I will provide you with food and shelter for the rest of your short life, won't have to worry about a thing.  Hell tell me yer from bay 12 I may even make you breeding stock!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:11:46 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: April 28, 2020, 04:13:08 am »

Why is the tasty lizard telling me where to find it...?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: April 28, 2020, 04:32:47 am »

In a press conference, Trump said that it will be seriously investigated in what way China can be held responsible for the spread of the corona virus.
He said "I am not happy with China", and he "believes that the outbreak could have been stopped at the source".
"Perhaps it was inabilty to do something, or maybe it was something else. We are going to find out".
He alluded to financial compensation by China as well.
 "Germany is talking about 130 billion euros. You can count on it that our damages are even higher".

I wonder what he'll say when Chinese nukes fly towards the US.  Probably "hey I was just being sarcastic".

I expect it to be as effective as Mexico paying for the wall.

With bonus of enraged China (that should be poked for human right violations instead) and presenting USA as an ineffective bunch of idiots.

Actually I think the US already knew it was SARS-2 back in December but decided themselves to not do anything about it or alert any of the American population because they didn't want to tank the economy through panic. American officials reportedly already knew there was an outbreak way back in November. This is idea that China only gave vague hand-wavy information to the WHO in January, therefore the USA was completely blindsided is complete nonsense. People who could merely read Chinese already knew more than the WHO was reporting back in December. And they expect us to believe the USA with their vast intelligence networks didn't know what was going on.

Basically they didn't really want China to actually do anything about it either. Effectively everyone thought it was just a repeat of SARS-1 and they didn't want anyone, including China over-reacting in ways which could affect global corporate profits. If China really did do the full lockdown earlier on and prevented the thing, then now America would be threatening to punish them over that. Just like they're pressuring for the lockdowns to be lifted in the USA now, they would have been pressuring China to lift the lockdowns too, because profits are at stake and the USA is a big investor in China. Saving the lives of some Chinese people vs mah profits? No contest. End the lockdowns China.

The Americans already knew all the details months before, and it's bullshit to say that a couple of hand-wavy statements by China to the WHO fooled everyone about what was going on. They knew. They didn't care. Trump still doesn't care, he's still on the "reopen things and get the money pumps going again" train. It's their fault.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:41:47 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: April 28, 2020, 06:14:33 am »

Why is the tasty lizard telling me where to find it...?
It's just lies and trickery, damn dirty lies and trickery. Reptilians are cold-blooded and can't function well in the freezing environment of Antarctica.

Just goes to show... You can't spell "Lizarde" without "Lie"
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 459