Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47

Author Topic: Sh 2 [SG] Week 14  (Read 38479 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG]
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2020, 12:40:23 am »

Report this travesty to the guards. Even if they don't believe us or can't prove anything, casting suspicion on that place and those people will add pressure.
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2020, 03:04:37 am »

Report this travesty to the guards. Even if they don't believe us or can't prove anything, casting suspicion on that place and those people will add pressure.
+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sh 2 [SG] Turn 2.2
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »

You head back to the main thoroughfares, and look for some guards to report to.

..largely without success.  After some time looking, you end up heading for a post a good few blocks away.

After you head in, you're brushed off at the mostly empty post, and made to wait a good half-hour to make your report.  Eventually, you're brought before a bored-looking guard, who lazily takes down your words, clearly angering you with how obviously it's going to be ignored.. you simply evidently aren't an important enough person for them to care about.

Disgusted, you end up simply storming out of the place, having ruined your mood and wasted your time.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2020, 03:06:00 pm »

Ask Huan Zhang about monastic orders dedicated to a martial art or the study of magic that might accept new initiates.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2020, 03:11:59 pm »

Or just find a martial arts dojo normally.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2020, 04:53:49 pm »

Ah, I suppose that's what 0 Prestige looks like. Maybe should have enlisted Zhang's help in complaining. I'd hope that a 2 prestige contract is enough to successfully report a major crime in this society. :v
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2020, 05:09:28 pm »

Or just find a martial arts dojo normally.

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2020, 05:09:59 pm »

Well, you rolled badly and had 0 prestige.  If you'd rolled better you'd have managed to get some face time, or gotten tipped off to bribe the clerk to get some face time.

Attempted kidnapping is hard to prove.  There's no marks on you, (and a guy that you stabbed), and nobody actually vanished.

That report isn't going to be forgotten, however, and if they're active here, there will be a bunch of similar reports to go with it, and then the post will likely start investigating it in a few weeks or a month.

Right now, they're paid by the local business owners, probably a little from the city, and a little from the state, and those are the people they care more about.  Since you're none of those, and this isn't a very egalitarian society, you're pretty screwed.  If you fell victim to something more obvious, they'd be more willing to help.

Zang would have been able to help somewhat, but as a diplomat this isn't his area of expertise, so the bonus would have been somewhat limited.  He would certainly have gotten you face time, though, and possibly start things off right away.

What he can do better is you can ask him to make sure your report isn't forgotten, and they'll probably start investigating soon.  If you're willing to call in your favor on this, he'll open some doors for you and let you look at their records, so you can do some investigating on your own.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2020, 06:01:10 pm »

Probably shouldn't bother investigating them on our own until we've got the kung fu and gang of thugs to deal with them properly.

...but hey, we've made a nemesis! That's a great start to being a hero!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG] Turn 2.3
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2020, 01:23:24 am »

You decide that maybe it'd be better to start with something more mundane than looking for creatures out of song and story.  At least for the current moment.

You cut a wide berth from the backalley bar with the slavers.  In fact, you decide to go to an entirely different part of the city.. the Magic Quarter.

Inside things are, well, not that much different than the rest of the city, save for there being a few more foreigners and more visible magic-users about, as identified by the various somewhat odd hats the different branches of magic favor.  But there are still estates, taprooms, laundries, workshops, scribes, eateries, apartments, and boarding homes here as in your home district.

..and, presumably, somewhere there are dojos.  Presumably full of fancy martial artists and maybe some kind of funky combat magic.  Although you know that lightning blasts and chilling frosts and fireballs are not real, there are certainly some kind of combat-related magics.

As is, however, you end up empty handed in the realms of dojo pursuit today.  You get distracted by several interesting shops, mostly selling what you imagine to be trinkets, but since you aren't looking to shop, you pass up on an enchanted rope, an amulet supposed to make you lucky, (as if that was possible), and a small bell that is supposed to bind imps to your service.

..but two things do catch your eye enough to get you to open your purse.  In a somewhat narrow shop, from a musty old propreitor, in among small statuettes and questionable animal pieces, two things speak out to you.

One is a fairly thin book, loosely bound and quite old.  Flipping through it, it looks like the diary of an adventurer.. but there's something wrong about the writing... both in content and calligraphy.  This is a book with secrets in it, and you can't pass that up.  The shopkeeper takes four silver for the book.

The other is a totem; a thin bit of silver wire wrapped around a ram's horn.  It's supposed to ward the holder against spirits.. blocking one's mind and body from their influences.  That is a claim you've heard before, but this one seems more.. true.  You examine it closely, and as you pick it up to take it out of the case, it explodes, completely removed from existance with a huge bang, shattering the top glass of the case and rattling the shop.

The now angry and somewhat bewildered shopkeeper stops you, and after some harsh words, demands payment for the glass case you wrecked, and suggests you get out before breaking something else.  Stunned, you end up handing over the remainder of your money, (not the ten or so silver such a case is worth, but close enough), and leave.

Now what happened there?

Spoiler:  status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 01:27:43 am by Devastator »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2020, 01:26:27 am »

Welp, time to look through this neat old book that we kinda gave up all our money for! A few secrets will do us good.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2020, 01:45:41 am »

Welp, time to look through this neat old book that we kinda gave up all our money for! A few secrets will do us good.
+1

I wonder whether we can get bonuses for finding certain areas if we ask guards or Zhang for directions.  We're just not having much luck with these rolls.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:49:34 am by ZBridges »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2020, 02:59:21 am »

You shouldn't need bonuses, but yes, allies might be able to suggest specific places for you if you're looking for somewhere.  It is better if it's something related to that person's duties and abilities.  If you call in your favor, there will be a much better result overall.

If you do ask, let me know specifically if you're calling in your favor.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2020, 03:48:57 am »

I would expect Zhang, as a diplomat, to be a learned man familiar with the political realities of the city, specifically the various organizations and institutions within it that compete for power and influence.

Perhaps we can ask him what specific groups or entities in the city can offer us the sort of training that we're looking for.  Don't call in a favor.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:45:28 pm by ZBridges »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2020, 03:56:31 am »

I would expect Zhang, as a diplomat, to be a learned man familiar with the political realities of the city, specifically the various organizations and institutions within it that compete for power and influence.

Perhaps we can ask him what specific groups or entities in the city can offer us the sort of training that we're looking for.  Don't call in a favor.

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47