Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 76

Author Topic: Bay12 Communal Worldbuilding Game  (Read 64500 times)

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Communal Worldbuilding Game
« Reply #825 on: July 12, 2020, 09:56:50 am »

Year 315.5

Much of the Black Qhaganate war council had been nearly annihilated and intimidated into submission by the brutal culling of its members by the mysterious assassin, this was true. However, the powerful military of the Black Qhaganate had been far from cowed, and it now had a single leader to rally behind. The young general Chagatai, now claiming to be the secret son of Khagatai and the rightful successor to the Black Qhaganate, had gone against the councils orders and executed a brilliant ambush against the invading enemy. As the remnants of the council panicked at the sudden loss of their army and gaped in awe at the massacre of the crusading forces, Chagatai entered the castle and had every member of the council executed for attempting to betray the Black Qhaganate and give it away to the invading crusaders. He has now assumed control over the Black Qhaganate and ordered a continuation of the war - there will be no surrender, only complete and total victory. Some still worry that the mysterious assassin will strike again, but rumours say that Chagatai is a mage himself who has already discovered a way to ensure the death of the assassin if he ever tries to strike at the new Qhagan.

For now, Chagatai has assumed direct control over the Black Sky-Legion and led a fast-paced, reckless push north through the lands on the old border between them and the Red Court, seeking to cut off the occupied lands from the primary lands of the Red Court itself. Meanwhile, the Aetherial artillery has begun ruthlessly bombarding the Great Diplomatic Army and the Black Qhaganates main defensive army has been pushed forward again, ready to defend against any push made into its lands.

As for the New Qhaganate, it continues to prosper and expand, in no small part due to slugmen escaping the Black Qhaganate and attempting the long journey east to the much safer land.

Elsewhere, in the significantly more peaceful Kingdom of Ukalia, the High Elves have begun experimenting with simply bypassing the dungeon through a series of cleverly placed platforms, portals and small cleared sections of the dungeon cut off from the rest. The idea is to make a system that allows the High Elves to safely pass the dungeon while keeping the natural defences it and its inhabitants provide and making sure the alternate path is also easy to defend in case of invasion.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 12, 2020, 09:57:20 am »

((Does the summary thing not work in Firefox? It's been showing up as a blank rectangle with a dotted outline recently.))
((i haven't been filling them in. I usually intend to backfill them after i post the update, but it gets left that way on occasion.))
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 12, 2020, 12:16:58 pm »

Year 315.6
The loss in Trade worries Refugio Guerra and in an attempt to Change that fact they send Out trade envoys to the Jahtari Sultanate to secure special trade rights with their airship.

The Sharkmen, unimpressed with their ship sinking in the recent years Begin using their giant squids in their raids. They Focus the big vessels with stronger Units than before.

The University is impressed by the Sharkmen Progress and sends out a diplomatic Mission to them.Roll to See how successful their diplomacy attempts are.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 13, 2020, 07:35:21 am »

Notices and Summary:

WOW so MANY of you playing, i can hardly believe it!
ok, for real. we've hit an all time low in the number of turns for an update... 2 turns.
I'm going to naively assume that everyone is just busy, rather than that everyone is abandoning the game due to hating how i run it.
Of course if ANYONE DOES have any grievances, do tell me, i cant peek into your brain and I can't do things better if i don't know what's wrong.

TURNS:
(TankKit, Year 315.5)
The new Qhanganate is NOT prospering, with migrants dying en-route, political infighting and loss of trade to Streamland, their northern territory has become sparsely populated, while Streamland has grown.

The High-Elves clear and fortify a route through the Western Dungeon, finally having a way through for the first time in the history of the world.

(Detoxicated, Year 315.6)
Refugio Guerra acquires certain special trading rights with the Jahtari Sky-Ship, but Aurheia, The Golden Dragon, makes them pay for those rights.

Sharkmen destroy several large trading vessels sailing over their territory taking their goods for themselves.

The University succeds in making peaceful contact with the Sharkmen, a miracle in and of itself.

WARFARE:
Chagatai's Black Sky-Legion attacked The Red Court dealing 38,25% damage and taking 14,625% damage in return. The Red Court has -3,1875% army health remaining and Chagatai's Black Sky-Legion has 29,125% army health remaining. The army of the Red Court has been shattered. The Black Qhanganate has retaken the western border. A large amount of Chaos Crystals have formed across in the wake of the battle.

The Aetherial Cannon Artillery bombarded The Great Diplomatic Army with artillery, dealing 3,75% damage. The Great Diplomatic Army has 50,25% army health remaining.

WORLD STATE:
The Digging project of the Waterstone Clan has progressed.

The Moon Tower project is still stalled.

The Dorathian Kingdom has grown into some of the weak territory along the rivers.

Rolls

New Qhanganate's Prosperity
Code: [Select]
1d20=2To say that the New Qhanganate is prospering would be a lie. most of the uncorrupted slugmen attempting to escape from the Black Qhanganate perish along the way, their dessicated corpses littering the path to the New Qhanganate's land. The problems that plagued the first Sandstone Qhanganate at the very beginning seem to be repeating themselves now in the New Qhanganate, with multiple slugmen leading the nation, it seems that they are all now vying for sole control over the New Qhanganate. A great deal of trade has also started to bypass the New Qhanganate, it is more of an out-of-the-way destination than the center of trade that it was becoming.
Streamland and their Sky-Dock, along with the Jahtari Sultanate's Sky-Ship is the likely cause of that. Many people living near the borders of the New Qhanganate have either moved back toward the center, or have left for Dalai or Streamland, and the regions have become sparsely populated.
(streamland's borders have increased while some of the New Qhanganate's territory, mostly in the north, has become weak)

The High-Elves attempt to bypass the Western Dungeon
1d20=15The High elves' plans for platforms didn't really work out, the construction is just far too difficult. Portals the same, there are only a few people in the world that actually know how to make portals, Some Magi in the University know how to make Arcane Portals but that requires an "Anchor", an incredibly powerful, stable and permanent source of Arcane Energy, the only source powerful enough right now is the White Tree of Elysium, which is already used by the University for their developing Portal Network, a system which will connect a bunch of portals together and is hardly "defensible", if your enemy knows how to operate the portals without Portal Stones. there have been sparse rumors of a Chaos mage that knew how to make Chaos Portals, but thats really it as far as making portals goes.

The idea was considered that two Arcane Portals could be opened on either side of the Dungeon, effectively bypassing it, then simply dealing with the problem of the portals' connection to all others by just fortifying the portal through mundane means, however, the Magi of the University consider opening a portal within the reach of the Chaos Domain an incredible risk, as the spreading corruption does not care for fortifications.
However, opening a portal in Ukalia would grant the High-Elves their own entry point into the network, and would be the first new portal since the Elysium one, but that one does not exist, officially, especially after then raid on the Elysian Gardens.

The Resulting solution so far was to go into the dungeon with an incredibly powerful and concentrated force that would clear the way for builders to seal off sections of the dungeon to create a tunnel through the dungeon to the other side. The costs of the project were astronomical, considering the force and the amount of materials that went into it. It isn't really defensible, aside from the fact that the tunnel doesn't begin until some way into the dungeon, and any forces unfamiliar with the tunnel wouldn't know to look for the entrances. Several small outposts have been set up within the tunnel to handle its maintenance, as monsters still occasionally find their way into the route, and also constantly claw away at the built walls.

Refugio Guerra attempts to acquire special trade rights with the Jahtari Sultanate's Sky-Ship.
(Ok, its time to show what Immortal Dragons actually DO
They interfere and meddle in the affairs of other races and nations, according to their personality.
Of course, they are part of the world, anyone can do stuff with them if they want. The Immortal Dragons do not "belong" to me.)

Aurheia, The Golden Dragon opposes this, believing that taking such a deal will negatively affect profitability of the Sky-Ship, she has insisted to aid the Sultan in the negotiation. One can't exactly refuse an Immortal Dragon.

Refugio Guerra and Jahtari Negotiations over the Sky Ship.

Refugio Guerra 1d20=12
Aurheia, The Golden Dragon 1d20=14

The Envoy from Refugio Guerra put the Jahtari Sultanate in a difficult position, in their desperation threatening to cut off the Jahtari Sultanate from trading with them if they would not be granted the special trading rights that they wanted. Aurheia recognized that this would cost the Jahtari more profit than actually granting the rights that they seek. Seemingly having to choose between two bad options, Aurheia came up with a solution: Press the Refugio Guerrans for compensation to partially make up for the revenue lost from taking this deal. With the Jahtari Sultanate in a precarious position, the compensation they asked for wasn't actually that large.

The results are thus: The Jahtari have granted Refugio Guerra the special rights that they sought, as long as Refugio Guerra pays for those rights.

Sharkmen continue attempting to sink ships
1d20=16Now that the sharkmen have started using giant squid in their raids, as well as focusing the more vulnerable parts of the larger trading vessels, they have been significantly more successful in sinking several large merchant vessels, most of them heading toward Eudenland, if this continues, the prosperity brought to Eudenland by the opening of The Grand Puffin may be short-lived, if captains start considering the trip too dangerous to make.

Of course, the wares lost for the Merchants was loot gained for the Sharkmen, not to mention all the tasty humans and slugmen that drown when the ships are sunk.

The Great Scar University sends a diplomatic mission to the sharkmen.
1d20=19Surprisingly, the University was able to get the Aquatic Gondola into the Sharkman territories, the trick was putting a flag with the Sharkman glyph standing for "Peace" on the outside of the Gondola. The Sharkmen must have been amused and intrigued by this little trick, as they let the ship into their territory and even guided them to their "Leader". Communication was difficult to say the least, the Gondola just wasn't equipped for this kind of mission.

Despite letting the University's expedition talk to them, the Sharkmen were still violent creatures that ate just about anything that was edible. It was understood that the Sharkmen have been in conflict with "Crabmen", The Kani-Collou, recently. The Sharkmen have no idea where the "Crabmen" actually nest, and for the sake of the Kani-Collou, its better that the Sharkmen never find out. There were some other talks about Sharkman "culture" and whatnot, but generally there wasn't really much to discuss. The Gondola was allowed leave the Sharkman territories without incident.

Warfare
(This wont be here when there are no ongoing wars.)
(Updated)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Guide to the Art of War
(Updated)

Map and Legend
(Updated)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:38:16 am by Strik3r »
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 13, 2020, 07:59:44 am »

(( I doubt anyone has problems with your stuff Strik3r, it's excellent! On my end, work is kicking my ass, but I've also been somewhat at loss for what I'd like to do in the world at the moment.

Interestingly all the threads I participate in have come slown to a crawl. Must be something in the water. ))
I've lost control of my life.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 13, 2020, 08:10:06 am »

Year 315.6
The Foxfolks try killing the Skinners, and try to take out the Purple Leaves in their land

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 13, 2020, 08:18:15 am »

On my end, work is kicking my ass, but I've also been somewhat at loss for what I'd like to do in the world at the moment.

Interestingly all the threads I participate in have come slown to a crawl. Must be something in the water. ))

((Then its probably the case for everyone. Work, School, whatever.

and yeah, the lack of ideas, a problem for sure, even for me, but my creative energy is emptied every day by writing the updates. And im okay with that. One of my duties as GM is to help my players whenever possible

The most generic advice i always give for the lack of ideas is to look at recent actions and try to imagine how it would affect someone else.
The first thing i thought of was the Light Crystals and Nisvais or w/e. and his gang. They were dealing Chaos Crystal dust laden Vision Dust and then BAM, there's a whole bunch of the Light Crystals that lack most of the negative effects of the Chaos Crystals when consumed.

But of course you also have the Vasilikos and we really haven't seen a look into what goes on inside the snakes' collective itself, in a while, if anything goes on there at all. You also are pretty involved with the Jahtari, and the Sky-Ship caused a big big shift in the world, the Sky-Dock is also pretty close to the Duskblades, so there might be some border friction in the near future. :P))

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 13, 2020, 10:15:08 am »

Year 315.7- Oh woe! The Great Ruby has been taken! Lost to the clutches of an infernal dragon! The shame of losing the centerpiece of Kore's ardent faith nearly breaks the will of the mad alchemist. His grip on his followers begin to loosen. An internal crisis of faith occurs: What have I been doing?. The poor fella is soon seen drowning his sorrows in the taverns of Refugio Guerra.

One night, as he leaves a back alley tavern, a large-bodied man blocks his way.
"You. I've been looking for you." The man takes out a dagger and strikes! "Nisvanis sends his regards"
Roll to see how Kore Jonhara fares against the hitman!

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 13, 2020, 11:01:27 am »

Year 316
In the Third Crusade, Chagatai turned his advance eastward and suddenly slowed down, moving into the occupied lands with caution to avoid unnecessary casualties and slowly tightening the noose on what few Red Court soldiers were left to guard them. Meanwhile the artillery continued to ruthlessly bombard the Great Diplomatic Army while the main defensive force remained close by to intercept any assault made by the crusaders against their own forces. Others may doubt the usefulness of the cannons in this war, but as far as Chagatai is concerned every life they take is one less life that will be fighting back when he sets out to retake the Black Qhaganates northern lands.

The High Elves begun studying the idea of a specific 'portal magic'.

Meanwhile, the Waterstone Clan colonises the two islands closest to it.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 13, 2020, 12:32:48 pm »

Year 317

Under the influence of its draconic captor, the Great Ruby begins to grow again-- this time, faster. Spikes and claws protrude from its crystalline surface, and an eye in the gemstone's core twists its gaze wildly about.

Roll for rate of growth. Could be an inch a day-- could be half a mile. The dice will decide.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 14, 2020, 05:34:52 am »

Year 317.1

The great Diplomatic Army cautiously attacks the Aetherial Cannon Army while they let the Arghilia/Karhans resupply.

Meanwhile, Diplomats are sent to the Red Court, offering a ceasefire to work on ending the threat of the Black Qhaganate together.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:36:28 am by auzewasright »
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 14, 2020, 06:20:09 am »

After the recent diplomacy with the Sharkmen tribes the University again Takes Up the Research to Develop underwater breathing suits AS Well AS developing new ships Like the Aquatic Gondola. The vast Sharkmen industrialization becomes a topic to discuss amongst antropologist mages and some enthusiasm has been gained from the fact that the University we're the First to successfully speak to the Sharkmen Outside of Battle insults.

In the meantime, the Batpeople have finished the construction of their observatory and begun categorizing and exploring the movements of the Stars. Donkebab quite taken by its subjects interest in the Heavens creates a stellar Formation of nine Stars known as the Greater Bat.

The shipsinking becomes a Sport for the Sharkmen again, and they feel that the destruction of the Aetherials will soon come. The Fangs and Spears are awaiting this great war to come for a while now.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 14, 2020, 07:28:29 am »

Year 317.5
The Vasilikos stir.

Something deep and ephemeral rumbles within their stomachs. Amaranth flames belch from the toxic breath of the serpents whom drink deep of dragon blood. The cloister of Basileus, and the 'emperor' itself grows evermore. The slavering Spined Serpent rivals now the size of great dragons in its long quest of purposeless evolution.

The immense snake encircles the twin isles twofold, surrounded by the coming Jahtari whom throw off the yoke of their lands and too drink deep, and feast. Basileus is a generous ruler it seems. . . The lizardmen of the Jahtgaro Cult just as well begin to experience change, within and without, attuning further to the distant Monolith, all of which growing ever more resentful of the felines whom keep it.

To that end Basileus says only this, "Grow! Multiply! Mine is the progeny whom shall inheret the earth! And the sky! And the seas! Jahtari, if true followers thou art, an army for my splendour thee shall raise! Go now, be unto the land as Vasilikos true!"

To this, the mature Kha'tra and her ardent cult once again return to the lands of the Jahtari, and seek to swell their following, for the word of their emperor is absolute.
I've lost control of my life.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 14, 2020, 08:08:48 am »

Year 317.6: Some of the Bleg that still distrust the snakes have decided to see if the lesser dragons that live on their roofs will aid them in case the snakes ever decide to attack. Roll to see how successful that is.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 14, 2020, 11:23:46 am »

Notices and Summary:

Sorry for being a bit late again, i was slow and had to do some catch-up.

TURNS:

(Naturegirl1999, Year 315.6)
The Foxfolk try eliminating the skinners, discover a compound in Karhan, Adventurers are sent in and are scarred for life by the horrors they witnessed.
The Skinners' leader escapes.
Several Foxfolk kids are rescued.

Foxfolk try to fight the Purple Leaf Disease but their traditional medicinal techniques are ineffective against the disease.

(TamerVirus, Year 315.7)
Kore is assassinated by P.M. Martin's hitman. His cult makes him a martyr and uses his death to legitimize their religion.

(TankKit, Year 316)
The High-Elves perform research into portals, lay the foundations for future "Portal Magic"

The Waterstone Clan colonises the two islands closest to it.

(Superdorf, Year 317)
The Crystal Egg continues to grow at a slightly accelerated pace, because Irahan is bored and has started singing songs of old Dragolia to it.

(Detoxicated, Year 317.2)
The Great Scar University has restarted research on the Aquatic Gondola.
The Sharkmen become a topic of interest in the University.

The Batpeople have built an observatory.

The shipsinking becomes a Sport for the Sharkmen.

(Unraveller, Year 317.5)

The Vasilikos have evolved further by consuming dragons and the Jahtari of the Jahtgaro Cult have begun to experience changes too.

The Vasilikos and the Jahtgaro Cult have begun to resent the Bleg.

The Jahtgaro cult has begun to slowly but steadily accumulate new members.

(King Zultan, Year 317.6)
The Bleg ask for assistance from Tahar's enclave, surprisingly, Tahar agrees, because the Bleg are too interesting to let die by giant snakes.
Tahar's emotions are impossible to decipher, so its unknown whether he was serious when he implied the Bleg's obligation to serve him and his enclave in exchange for his protection.
(If the Vasilikos attack the Bleg, an extra 100 point force of Aerial Rangers will be joining on the Bleg side.
Tahar will be a Legendary Aerial Researcher Unit with 100 points of health and +1 to all research. (Research works a bit like construction, it can be used to get Traits for the duration of a war.))

WARFARE:

(Chagatai's Black Sky-Legion attacked The Red Court dealing 8,5% damage and taking 12% damage in return. The Red Court has -8,5% army health remaining and Chagatai's Black Sky-Legion has 17,125% army health remaining. Chagatai's Black Sky-Legion has reclaimed a large chunk of the land taken by the Red Court. Chagatai has won two battles, and now provides a +1 Veterancy bonus, as well as "Leave caution behind", which grants +1 to attack and -1 to defence. The Remaining territory occupied by the Red Court is Encircled! They will gain -4 to both attack and defence when defending this territory!)
((Yes, i know, bonuses are incredibly powerful in this war. While i LOVE bonus stacking, MOST modifiers will be changed to +1 or -1, Including Aerial and attack styles. This does not include terrain modifers, Such as fort defence and captial defence which will remain +2 and +3 to both respectively.))

The Aetherial Cannon Artillery bombarded The Great Diplomatic Army with artillery, dealing -1% damage. The Great Diplomatic Army has 50,25% army health remaining. The Diplomatic Cannon Artillery, A new Artillery force has joined the conflict on the The Great Diplomatic Army's side with 1% health

The Black Qhanganate has begun to intercept enemy attacks.

(The Great Diplomatic Army attack on The Aetherial Cannon Artillery was intercepted by The Black Qhanganate, to whom they dealt 22,5% damage and took 2,5% damage in return from. The Black Qhanganate has 54,25% army health remaining and The Great Diplomatic Army has 47,75% army health remaining.)

(The Armies of Arghila and Karhan has been shattered due to Resupply failure)

(The Red Court has joined the side of THe Great Diplomatic Army. The Red Court's remaining occupied territory is no longer Encircled!)

WORLD STATE:
Zalalastan scorched earth wall against the Purple Leaf Disease has shrunk

The Purple Leaf Disease has grown in unmitigated regions, the disease has reached the Hamsterman Shamans

The Red Leaf Disease has grown

Rolls

Foxfolk try to eliminate the Skinners
1d20=17When they became aware of the Skinners' operations, the Foxfolk started laying traps and ambushes in hopes of catching out the Skinners. They succeeded in killing a group of bandits they thought were all of the Skinners, but when the kidnappings continued, they opted to capture the next group instead and extract the location of the Skinners' main hideout through torture. Although the Foxfolk normally would not sink that low, knowing what the Skinners do to their kids, it was well justified in their eyes. One of the bandits eventually revealed the location of the Skinners' main operation before dying, and it turns out that it was a full compound, walls and everything. It was small enough, easily taken out by a small military force, but the only problem, was that it was on Karhan lands, and they couldn't risk a political incident by sending an army into Karhan.

So, a small band of adventurers was sent to destroy the Skinners and rescue anyone that can be. The Skinners didn't pose much threat, being apparently just a bunch of poorly equipped bandits, easily dealt with by the much better equipped and experienced Foxfolk adventurers. They killed every Skinner they came across as they made their way into the heart of the compound, a large, rectangular building made of wood, the stench of death wafted from it.

Inside they faced horrors that scarred everyone that entered that building for the rest of their lives, except the Skinners apparently. Dead, skinless foxfolk children hanging from hooks with tubs full of blood and viscera beneath them. Mutilated bodies and bodyparts strewn about, chunks of meat, cut neatly and ready to be carted off and sold. They eventually reached the central chamber or room of this house of horrors and came face to face with the Skinners' apparent leader.

But this was no raggedy bandit, no, their leader was well-dressed and charismatic man with a smooth, commanding voice. His monologue consisted of him remarking that the foxfolks' discovery of his compound was "quite damaging" to his business and telling them to leave. Then there was the comment about how the Foxfolk population had become "too great" and how its "upsetting the natural balance of the land" that really angered one of the adventurers, she tried to take a shot at the man with her bow only to have him deflect the arrow, with a flourish of his blade.

The adventurers had been surrounded by the Skinners and by the time they managed to defeat every one of them, the man was nowhere to be found. This is surely not the last time the foxfolk would hear of the Skinners.
A few foxfolk kids were rescued from the holding cells of the slaughterhouse, the foxfolk adventurers covered the little foxfolks' eyes with blindfolds made of folded rags and carried them in their arms, hugging them tightly as they made their way out of the compound.

Foxfolk try to fight the Purple Leaf Disease
1d20=6
The foxfolk do not have much luck fighting against the Purple Leaf Disease. It turns out that they rejected the usage of Vision Dust and instead try to fight the disease using their traditional medicinal techniques, involving rituals of little power and mundane herbs, all of which do little against the exotic and resilient Purple Leaf Disease. Although they've made little progress, they also have not significantly worsened the infection.

Kore's fight against the assassin.
1d20=3Kore Jonhara really was not a fighter but his assailant on the other hand, this was what he did for a living. Even though Kore tried to fight him off, drawing a dagger of his own, the hitman merely waited for Kore to take a stab at him, at which point he grabbed Kore's right forearm with his left hand, pulling him in close while at the same time bringing his dagger held in the right hand to his left shoulder with his dagger held in an icepick grip then drove the dagger hard into Kore's neck before pulling it out again and pushing Kore away, who fell backwards onto the stone road, bleeding profusely out of the wound. All of this took place over the course of three seconds.

His attacker merely turned and walked away, his job complete.
In a strange twist of fate, with Kore's death, he became sort of a martyr to the cultists, whose faith in the Crystal Egg had now only strengthened because it seemed like everyone was suddenly after the egg. To them, Kore was right all along, it was a divine artifact and his death affirmed it. The cultists strangely enough went public with their religion, using Kore's death to validate it and say that he had been killed for his beliefs and because he alone knew the truth, and someone wanted to silence him. It wasn't the truth of course, but it worked to turn the little cult into a legitimate religion.

The High-Elves study the idea of "Portal Magic"
1d20=20!Many theories rise up about the idea of portal magic, although the magical elements of Arcana and Chaos remain the foundation for the these theories, as magical elements are the foundation of magic. But the High-Elves look at ways of using these elements in a way that hasn't been used before for their portal magic. And despite the incredible success of the High-Elves and their research into creating portals of their own, portals remain perhaps the hardest thing to do magically, with each technique having its own downsides and weaknesses, there is no one universal solution that has no downsides. Regardless of that, the Elves have drafted up several ideas and conclusions regarding portals:

As mentioned repeatedly Arcane energy is able to create meta-stable portals that need no maintenance, but the portals need a central "Anchor", an incredibly powerful source of Arcane energy and all of the portals are linked together.
If the High-Elves wish to chase this line of research, they will need to find a way to create their own Arcane Anchor, to make a network separate from that of the University.

The High-Elves managed to independently replicate the Chaos Portals of the First Chaos Mage, now known to be named "Theyrn Elros". Although Theyrn could open these portals over vast distances, it turns out that his abilities are an anomaly caused by his close tie with Chaos, High-Elf magi were only able to open a portal if they saw the destination, no matter how far. The Portals of Chaos need constant maintenance by the way of energy being poured into them by magi, no way to create permanent Chaos portals has been discovered, but all Chaos Portals are point-to-point, they are not networked like Arcane portals. They also depend on "bouncing" the portal off of the "veil" of the Chaos Realm, basically creating a window for otherworldly entities to look straight into the world.
If the High-Elves wish to pursue using Chaos Portals as a basis for their portals, they will need a way to be able to see anywhere they want to open a portal to, and experienced, dedicated Chaos Magi will be needed to open and maintain the portals, lest they close.

There is an oft-overlooked theory that parallel to this world, exists a "spirit realm" or even many spirit realms. It is not impossible that if such planes exists, they may be used as a way to travel between locations by temporarily passing through one of these realms. To explain it, the magi created the "Crate Analogy": "imagine if you climb into a crate, the crate is then moved somewhere, and when you open the crate, you're in a different place, but the crate doesn't actually move, because the spirit realm is in all places at once and nowhere at the same time. In this case, the Gates are who transport you, The Spirit Realm is how you are transported". While everyone was confused by this explanation, what was understood was that such a method would depend on specific structures, so called "spirit gates" that are deliberately linked together by Spirit energy. These gates would be linked together, like Arcane Portals, but it would be much more defensible, because the gates are "keyed" in advance using spirit energy and if one doesn't know the key to an existing network, they can not add additional gates to it. The gates use the energy from the spirit realm to operate.

If the High-Elves are to follow this line of research, they will need to determine the validity of the "Spirit Realm" theory, discover a way to enter a spirit realm and also build spirit gates.
The weakness of this system is that if anything lives in the spirit realm used, they will be able to enter this world through the gates, which may either be an incredible risk or an incredible boon.

Once one of these ideas is developed further, the knowledge gained may be used to further advance the High-Elves knowledge of portals and develop a fully-fledged "portal magic".

For the first time ever, High-elves have looked into the possibility of combining Primal Elements, for their portal magic idea.
Arcane/Chaos seems almost paradoxical, but it is a thing that MAY be possible, it is not known what would result from such a union.
Arcane/Spirit supposedly already exists in the world, through Elysians. Result is a form of Arcane magic with a Psychic component, such as an arcane blast that can follow and track its target.
Chaos/Spirit may also already exist in the form of the Aetherials. This type of magic seems to be same as Arcane/Spirit, except its Chaos instead.

Several other portal related ideas are brought out. The idea of "Micro-Portals" is largely dismissed as their usefulness would be limited. An idea of some kind of "Far-Sight" using Spirit magic is thrown around.

The growth of the Crystal Egg
1d20=12If the Crystal Egg's crystalline shell is growing any faster than it was before, it only does so because of how Irahan, the Immortal Fire Dragon interacts with it. The great dragon is unsure why any of the magical crystals grow the way they do, not of the ones on his own back or those of the Crystal Egg. But he has figured out that the Crystal Egg seems to react most noticeably when he sings to it, not lullabies or something, mind you, he mostly hums hymns and songs of the old Dragolian Council times. It turns out that Irahan is highly patriotic and misses his homeland, but is also saddened by what it has become, if the lands of the dragons can ever be re-awakened, they would need a new, strong leader, the council to him, was always weak.

And if the Crystal Egg is growing structures that might look like something, it is by pure chance, rather than any directed process, although Irahan does think that the crystals on the shell might clipping a bit, they are getting quite large.

Kha'tra and the Jahtgaro Cult attempt to acquire more followers.
1d20=15For the longest time Kha'tra could not recruit or retain many followers, but with age, comes wisdom. Kha'tra has learned to "dress up" the Jahtgaro Cult a lot better, while many still reject her message. The message being of the Basileus being the "true emperor", those that do join are not exposed to the Cult's true nature, not before they are far too deep in to back out. And of course, if any do have second thoughts, an use can be found for them. Overall, the Jahtgaro cult is slowly but steadily accumulating new members.

The Bleg attempt to enlist the aid of Tahar's Enclave, in case of attack by the Vasilikos.
1d20=20!One cant really ask anything of the dragons of the Enclave without going through Tahar himself, the hierarchy of his enclave is probably the most rigid of all the known Enclaves, and no decision is made without him.

Tahar responded by stating that the Bleg are far more interesting than the Vasilikos, and could not let his favorite objects of study be swallowed by a giant snake. He shares the Bleg sentiment that the Vasilikos are little more than out-of-control animals that have become dangerous to civilized people.

Tahar has agreed, should it come to that, to provide military aid to the Bleg by the way of his dragons, but stating very clearly that the Bleg WOULD NOT be allowed to ride on their backs.
He himself will not join in any fighting, instead will provide assistance from the back by the way of battlefield research.

In exchange for his enclave's protection, Tahar has implied that he expects him and the dragons of his Enclave to be personally tended to by the Bleg, though it might have been a joke, but with Tahar's monotone voice, one can never tell.
(If the Vasilikos attack the Bleg, an extra 100 point force of Aerial Rangers will be joining on the Bleg side. Tahar will be a Legendary Researcher Unit with 100 points of health. (Research works a bit like construction, but it will grant bonuses till the end of a war.))

Warfare
(This wont be here when there are no ongoing wars.)
(Updated)
Guide to the Art of War
(Updated)

Map and Legend
(Updated)

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 76