Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43

Author Topic: Amazing Cultivation Simulator  (Read 125836 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Cultivation Simulator
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:29 pm »

Injured wanderer needing help collapses! Check health screen, they're dying of thirst! Give them water, give them water!

Cause of Death: Bloating

wait no

itIf you have glowing grass (found on spirit soil), you get spirit dew when you clear it, which can be eaten to recover stamina. Just be aware that it will decay very fast so you want to consume it immediately, and probably replant grass to keep producing it.

I think that you can also get stamina pills from alchemy. And some ingredients like ginseng and bear gall can recover stamina iirc.

Long term, you probably want to find ways to accelerate the food->stamina conversion process. From what I understand, body cultivators eat a lot.
Ah, basically stuff I didn't/don't have, then :P

Good to have a short list of things to keep an eye out for, though, so cheers.

Least with the one I had, the biggest catch 22 I was seeing is its food->stamina acceleration seems to be locked behind the second or third breakthrough... which makes getting that far a pain if you don't have access to much else at the time. Got a better idea what I'm getting into with a new start, so hopefully it'll work out better this time (and I won't turn my sole critter into an inner disciple before having, y'know, someone else around to make food, this time :V). Game's uh, not lying when it says starting with a primordial unity body loner means you're in for a rough time, haha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 09:49:03 pm »

I've found that entering areas after adventuring to them is well worth it, even without breaking the sense of progression. Assuming you don't get close enough to aggro the Core Formation spirit beasts and have to spend 20 in-game hours kiting them to kill them, you can get hundreds of basic building materials from a trip in the starting region.

I don't know if you're supposed to deal with mortal attack with inner or outer disciples. The steam forums said an inner disciple will rack up crippling bad karma from killing mortals, but I had a mortal archer enemy crit and one-shot one of my swarming laborers.

Least with the one I had, the biggest catch 22 I was seeing is its food->stamina acceleration seems to be locked behind the second or third breakthrough... which makes getting that far a pain if you don't have access to much else at the time. Got a better idea what I'm getting into with a new start, so hopefully it'll work out better this time (and I won't turn my sole critter into an inner disciple before having, y'know, someone else around to make food, this time :V). Game's uh, not lying when it says starting with a primordial unity body loner means you're in for a rough time, haha.
Doesn't that soft-lock the game? I tried loner and raced for Foundation, but he refused to lower himself to accepting the new serfs he gathered from adventuring.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2020, 12:12:34 am »

I've found that entering areas after adventuring to them is well worth it, even without breaking the sense of progression. Assuming you don't get close enough to aggro the Core Formation spirit beasts and have to spend 20 in-game hours kiting them to kill them, you can get hundreds of basic building materials from a trip in the starting region.

I don't know if you're supposed to deal with mortal attack with inner or outer disciples. The steam forums said an inner disciple will rack up crippling bad karma from killing mortals, but I had a mortal archer enemy crit and one-shot one of my swarming laborers.
Just kill them with your cultivator, it doesn't give any bad karma. If killing something will it warns you.

Killing or attacking non-hostile non-cultivator animals or humans gives you bad karma. This includes the dogs that bandits sometimes bring (until they attack you presumably), but does not include animals that spawn hostile from events.
If you aggro an animal and it attacks one of your dudes it then becomes hostile, and your cultivator can kill it without any problems.

Not that bad karma is really that big a deal for the most part. You don't start getting tribulations till pretty late on (unless you have an early peaking Yougai cultivator) and you can just have an evil cultivator that doesn't ever get to the level where tribulations are an issue.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2020, 12:40:15 am »

Doesn't that soft-lock the game? I tried loner and raced for Foundation, but he refused to lower himself to accepting the new serfs he gathered from adventuring.
It might if you can't get anyone to join up. Least when I did it some critter that wandered in eventually jumped on board after I ticked the accept.

... that said, for a physical cultivator at a minimum it's not really a soft-lock, 'cause if you don't have someone fooding yer punch magician eventually starves and/or goes crazy from not having food/stamina. So it's not a lock, it's just a rather slow and pretty inevitable death... though I guess you could try adventuring for free food. Problem being your critter will go nuts if you feed them a steady diet of raw food. they won't starve, but it's a lose condition anyway :P
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2020, 03:40:51 am »

It might if you can't get anyone to join up. Least when I did it some critter that wandered in eventually jumped on board after I ticked the accept.

... that said, for a physical cultivator at a minimum it's not really a soft-lock, 'cause if you don't have someone fooding yer punch magician eventually starves and/or goes crazy from not having food/stamina. So it's not a lock, it's just a rather slow and pretty inevitable death... though I guess you could try adventuring for free food. Problem being your critter will go nuts if you feed them a steady diet of raw food. they won't starve, but it's a lose condition anyway :P

Eh, those losers wander by every few days begging to join up.  You can also Camp at several locations, then visit and invite the villagers back.  Its hard until you acquire enough Cultivator Who's Who to just impress them with all you know.  Might even have to gift someone to get the ball rolling.  Once the villagers return, your Inner is selectable on the Persuade screen, and it's 100%.  Draft a whole village if you have to!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2020, 10:19:47 am »

The entirety of this thread is gibberish to me, but somehow compelling. It really reminds me of stumbling upon a DF thread for the first time all those years ago on the RelicNews forums, not having a clue just what the fuck was this game supposed to be but being incredibly intrigued by anything that let you construct artificial waterfalls to both water your farms and improve the mood of your people.

How's the tutorial on this, I've been in a power saving mode of sorts when it comes to games lately where I really liked the idea of a game and would want to play it but there's just so much learning the ropes to go trough that I get kinda discouraged and not bother.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2020, 01:05:48 pm »

It's definitely enough to get you started (albeit pretty barebones and quite lengthy), and there's a fairly okay manual available in-game (and searchable!) on a lot of subjects. There's very much a learning curve, tho'. Helps if you're at least somewhat familiar with martial arts fantasy stuff as a genre, probably.

Pretty sure there's youtube vids out and about with fairly recent gameplay if you want to scope it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:15:21 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2020, 01:16:01 pm »

Yeah the tutorials are fairly extensive and go through a lot of what you need to know.

It's just some of the under the hood stuff and little details to optimise how your group is going that it sort of skims, but this thread has been super helpful for me :)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2020, 04:16:33 pm »

Can anyone explain to me 'tribulation'? I know yaogai eventually face them, and apparently they can happen to inner disciples. . . but I have no clue what to prepare for. This game is very much you need this one specific item for this one specific interaction.

I'm enjoying the ease of which building occurs. Rimworld makes it a struggle early on, but in this game you can design and shape your town pretty much from the start.

Honestly, the influence from Rimworld is pretty huge in this game. The 2-d tilemap + AI character pawn system, with survival mechanics and invaders and disasters. However, from what I've read, a large amount of the 'game' at later stages is preparation, item acquisition and training a character through higher and higher states of being towards an eventual godhood - which is exactly the sort of late game crunch that vanilla Rimworld lacks. Arguably DF, too, though it will be seen how much changes over the next years.

Of course I haven't even gotten there yet so I dunno these are newb impressions honestly

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2020, 09:34:17 pm »

Just kill them with your cultivator, it doesn't give any bad karma. If killing something will it warns you.

Killing or attacking non-hostile non-cultivator animals or humans gives you bad karma. This includes the dogs that bandits sometimes bring (until they attack you presumably), but does not include animals that spawn hostile from events.
If you aggro an animal and it attacks one of your dudes it then becomes hostile, and your cultivator can kill it without any problems.

Not that bad karma is really that big a deal for the most part. You don't start getting tribulations till pretty late on (unless you have an early peaking Yougai cultivator) and you can just have an evil cultivator that doesn't ever get to the level where tribulations are an issue.

The workaround is to just use your Pet to kill mortal enemies.  And bulls/tigers/bears prior to your outers hunting them.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2020, 10:38:01 pm »

Tribulation is basically something that occurs because of one of many reasons: reaching high level cultivation bottlenecks(depending on law when), reaching old ages, divine cultivation upset followers, optional ones from reaching high attainment, and yeah ones from being a intelligent humanoid animal person trying to become a 'human'. If you want to be a catgirl(girl with catears) instead of a cat head on a human body then you gotta go through one.

Lore-wise they are the heavens striking you down for going against the natural order...
Practical in-game-wise they manifest as a lightning tornado thing that shoot lighting at your cultivator undergoing it and anything nearby the cultivatior. They have elements associated with them so can be weakened by taking them in elemental areas that are against them, or strengthened by elements that strengthen them. Some tribulations can have multiple elements, and thus have parts. As you undergo it it shows you the qi left in the tribulation and if you survive that, that part is over (assuming its a basic one-part one, just doing this once means its over). This is as far as i can tell, pretty much the same thing as fighting a enemy cultivator, the tribulation has qi, you have qi, you attack each other, it expends qi to attack you, and you decrease its qi by attacking it... your barrier skill therefore matters ALOT as does your qi repleshment, so taking a shield pill and something like spirit stones(and he improved versions preferably like spirit crystals) that give qi-repleshment rates help TONS.

The Animal-become-human tribulation is fairly difficult since its a 5part one, but get to gold core first, eat a shield pill and spirit crystal, maybe use something that offers '5 element protection' or increases qi protection/shield, and you CAN beat it, even with a shitty gold core cultivator, will cost you a lot of resources though.

Fair warning: DO NOT undergo tribulation anywhere that your people might walk by, as they will get hit by lightning and die... or near anything you don't want lit on fire by said lightning.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2020, 12:50:46 am »

I'm pretty sure you could manage it with a qi cultivator actually. I know one of the paths has the ability to create some kind of magical servants which you could then use to do all your grunt work. I don't know their exact limitations, but I could see if you get a good enough dude you might still be able to ascend, although it would probably be absurdly tough.
Fair warning: DO NOT undergo tribulation anywhere that your people might walk by, as they will get hit by lightning and die... or near anything you don't want lit on fire by said lightning.
Note that doing the tribulation next to qi-gathering stuff grants you bonus qi-regen, and doing it next to a full set of cultivating stuff while all pilled up is a pretty absurd difference from just doing it in the middle of the lake or whatever.
Of course if you try this then all your outer disciples swarm trying to put out the fires or repair your stands and stuff, which kills at least one of the idiots. If you just turn off firefighting+building or stick them in the bell room both of these problems go away though.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2020, 02:41:28 am »

welp, shortly after sheng finally managed to bury starter guy, map special effects kicked in and starter guy's corpse dug its way back out

its walking around now

go team

e: and by "go team" i mean starter guy's walking corpse promptly murdered sheng and now everyone's dead sheng's slowly dying to undead wounds

this has gone well!I

e2: starter guy has now murdered a passerby, too

this guy's corpse is like ten times as effective as they were alive holy shit

Just figured out that you can revive your sect if everybody dies!

1: Give one of the other sects their favored item to start trade.  If unknown, I guess you'll have to give the useless crap to all the sects until you get lucky.
2: Make a trade area around everything on the map.  If you have storage, set to tradeable.
3: Trade for an awakened animal.
4: Go through the awakening to shapeshifting game for your new animal.
5: Congratulations, you have a new follower, and can continue your game!

Nevermind, you need someone to open the cage and let out the awakened animal.  Oh well.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2020, 08:20:59 am »

I was just getting back to Rimworld, dammit.

Started as a lone tanky girl with a cool sword, basic sun something law.
Built a nice house with most of all available workshops and a wheat field.
Some dude wandered in, chatted with him for a bit, forgot to help and invite.
Rushed "foundation building", promoted her to inner disciple.
Girl lacks intelligence and charisma and therefore haves five minuses in attributes to law correlation, whatever that entails.
Without warning, inner disciple won't work for life.  >:( Guess i'll load a save and wait for another potential manservant.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 08:22:35 am by MCreeper »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2020, 08:55:47 am »

For what it's worth, they'll work on some things (talismans are remarkably helpful, if you can stomach making them)... just not most of the essentials, heh. You can also use them as remarkably slow normal-ish workers by having them adventure for resources on the world map. It's not nearly as helpful as just having an outer disciple for a lot of things, but you can squeeze out some non-combat uses from 'em.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43