Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 53333 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #256 on: June 01, 2022, 12:35:09 am »

I've never used social media and I feel I'm better off never trying it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 01, 2022, 02:07:57 am »

I mostly just lurk on Twitter. I use it for news.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 01, 2022, 06:56:47 am »

Twitter is my social network of choice. A good place to get news quickly and see a nice spread of opinions. Also, It isn't censored like Facebook.

I usually keep my opinions to myself there because... Because saying anything results in me being blocked by someone, leaving me without an ability to (conveniently) read people I disagree with but consider it to be a useful source of information. Of course, Twitter being Twitter, staying silent isn't enough to not get blocked, people started using scripts to block users who follow a particular user(s)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 01, 2022, 09:42:27 am »

I count this sort of place[1] as the limit to my 'social' media presence. In fact, I'm probably more social here than IRL, though I'm strictly more asocial than antisocial even in the most critical assessments, beyond possibly the unwieldy hedge that I dubiously share with various bounding neighbours even more than I share such useless facts with yourselves!

I pick and choose my platforms. Yes, almost anybody can read this (and anybody who cares to can work out how to reply to it) but the whole rather blanket-like Twitterverse just doesn't appeal to me. I got the true "everyone everywhere" thing out of my system back in the old days of Usenet (for the contemporary idea of "everyone", but otherwise pretty much also "everywhere") before the incursion of AOL, WebTV, GoogleGroups, etc made it as much an unregulated (and virtually unlimited) Twitter as anything else between that point and the real Twitter became as seemingly ubiquitous.

(I only actually fell off Usenet when an ISP change caused loss of access to the easy feed, much too niche a thing for the new system to provide as standard, and too much effort to establish a third-party gateway that wasn't Google, or reliant upon consistent access to the local academic network and servers...)

No, don't expect to see me on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Discord, SteamForums[2], Geocities, FIDOnet, InterMUD, Wikia, 4chan, Grindr, Mumsnet, etc... Or at least don't expect to realise that I'm also on any of these... If you think I am, it's very probably not me you're looking at, at all... ;)

[1] There are others, I'm afraid to admit, but I'm cheating upon you with other fora under completely different names and even slightly different styles of participation. Yes, I'm a bit of a love-rat, I'm afraid.

[2] Did make an account there, for DF reasons, but until I bought something I had no posting priviledges and I just didn't yet have the yen to do that (even if I could have had the ¥!) so... lapsed. And now the necessary login details are stuck on an older device, as well...

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 01, 2022, 10:37:26 am »

I mostly use Discord (all my online friends are there), Reddit (I lurk there but don't really post), and Twitter (same), this is the only old-school forum I really use. I don't use Facebook or anything.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 01, 2022, 01:03:51 pm »

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/31/tech/supreme-court-texas-social-media-ruling/index.html
Relevant
Wow.

Regardless of how you feel about the concept of free speech in general, this is just another showcase of the blatant corruption that's going on within the supreme court. It's almost like the right-wing equivalent of the Roe-v-wade repeal. They're not even trying to come up with a legal justification for it this time, which is very troubling.

It reminds me too much of late-democratic Rome.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2022, 02:00:15 pm »

...maybe I better go through that decision, just in case anyone is confused by it.
I'm not saying you should like or dislike it, but I want to make sure everyone understand it, to the best of my limited ability.

First, Texas passes a law that restricts the ability of Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to moderate content on their platforms.
The state (Texas) argued that HB 20 does not violate the First Amendment because the law seeks to regulate tech platforms' conduct toward their users, not the companies' speech, and that it seeks to designate them as "common carriers" akin to railroads and phone companies.

Facebook, Twitter and YouTube then requested the Supreme Court prevent that law from taking effect until the Supreme Court can decide on it.
By a 5-4 vote, the justices granted an emergency request from the tech industry to block a lower court order that would have allowed the law to take hold, pending legal challenges.
This is NOT a Final Decision by the Supreme Court, although it could hint at what the final decision might be.

As for the actual Judges:
In an unusual alignment the five justices in the majority were Chief Justice John Roberts, Stephen Breyer, Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett and Sonia Sotomayor.

Liberal Justice Elena Kagan was joined by conservative justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch, who would have denied the request.

The Right was split 50/50 on this one.

I'm not exactly sure how this amounts to "blatant corruption".  It's a NEW law and a reasonably new legal theory, and the Supreme Court said "Hey now, let's look at this a bit before forcing this down Big Tech's throat".  One judge could flip, and the Texan law will likely force Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc to revise how they operate.

There is no legal justification because it is not final decision.  It would GREAT if the Judges explained themselves, but not required at this stage of the proceedings.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2022, 02:12:18 pm »

I think social media needs to be able to moderate its content.

The equivalent would be passing a law that says, for example, Fox News needs to provide air time to people they don't want to run, because those people want air time and denying them is tantamount to censorship.

Social media platforms need to have the same rights to moderate their content as any other media firm. Just because I want to use it for my own purposes does not mean I have a right to force those companies to host me.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 02, 2022, 02:34:34 am »

Who needs social media when we have this forum, also I just realized that this the only place I talk to people since I don't really talk to anyone in RL.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 02, 2022, 03:12:14 am »

Who needs social media when we have this forum, also I just realized that this the only place I talk to people since I don't really talk to anyone in RL.

Yeah, just seal of the entrance. Who needs sunlight?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2022, 05:31:25 am »

Yeah, just seal of the entrance. Who needs sunlight?

Once Dwarf Fortress gets long-distance telepathy magic Dwarven internet it will be able to fully emulate the DF player experience.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 02, 2022, 06:02:25 am »

UristMcHunter cancels hunting for vermin: Posting catdwarf fanart to the InterFort

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 02, 2022, 06:57:33 am »

I want that law to get shot down because I like it when the far-right gets censored online. It delegitimizes them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 02, 2022, 10:08:00 am »

I want that law to get shot down because I like it when the far-right gets censored online. It delegitimizes them.

Do you like when far-lefts get censored online?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 69