Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Huge question, unimaginably important.  (Read 6944 times)

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
Re: Huge question, unimaginably important.
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2008, 06:07:37 pm »

I added "aru" to my first name because I'm borderline weeaboo.

don't worry, I'm seeing a support group.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2008, 06:31:22 pm »

I was rolling a guy who I intended to be the big dumb warrior, so I basically picked a batman sound - Krunk.  Unfortunately, around the same time the guys who made Dexter's Lab (Genddy Tartakovsky if memory serves) had a little superhero cartoon which also featured a big dumb warrior named Krunk. 

"Krunk never been in Val Hallen's room!  Teddy and Krunk scared!"
"You are a Justice Friend, Krunk!  And Teddy doesn't pay a third of the rent.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2008, 09:03:43 pm »

Mine, Faces of Mu, was born from the SNES games Illusion of Time and Terranigma, and a bad memory. In IoT there was a sunken place called Mu that I think stuck in my mind because it had eerie music. It also made me think of the myth of Atlantis, but I don't know if that's really what Mu was about. Terranigma also had a similar place, and I think it had some imagry of the large Moai heads seen on Easter Island. So, to instill some mystery and perhaps be a little creepy, I chose Faces (Moai heads) of Mu. If anyone remembers either of these games and cares to enlighten me about how these images might interact, I'd appreciate it!

I'm curious where you played IoT, as it was called Illusion of Gaia here in the States when I played it as a wee child, and AFAIK Terranigma was never released here (but thanks to the magic of emulators, I've been able to try that one too; didn't get far in it though). But yeah, Mu and the underwater palace are definitely amongst my favorite areas in the game.

I'm not overly familiar with Mu, only that it was allegedly another "lost continent" like Atlantis. I think I had heard about it from some show that was "investigating" the latter (yeah, I was big into that kind of stuff as a kid; still am, in a "people thing up the weirdest things" kind of way). Wikipedia helps with the connection to the stone heads from Easter Island:

In his attempt to create a vivid description of an ancient yet lost civilization capable of explaining the greatness of the “white” race, Churchward connects several civilizations. He includes Egypt, Greece, Central America, India, Burma and others, as well as Easter Island. These are all cultures that are known for their megalithic art and architecture and have been a topic of interest for scholars for centuries.

I can't really say anything about any connection that Terranigma might have with any of this, as I didn't play much of it and am not familiar with all the locations.

Now, that fun sidetrack out of the way, my name:

Back when I played MMORPGs, I almost always used the random name generator. One of the names I got for a character was Oosen; you can probably guess how I got Nesoo (for another character) out of that. I've used Nesoo, or its shorter form, Nes, pretty much ever since (though you have to be careful; I only use "Nes" in a handful of places, and there's a lot of "imitators" out there... I'm sure the fact that it happens to be an acronym for an old video game system doesn't help...).
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2008, 12:36:02 am »

That and Ness was a protagonist in the SNES game EarthBound (called Mother in Japan)

Maybe this should be split off from the original topic, which was really only asking about Toady One's name, and given a topic all it's own, kind of like the "Introduce yourself" topic many other forums have.

Not saying that this is bad or anything... just 'less official' or something :P

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2008, 12:39:46 am »

All it really needs is to be moved. The origin of your name is still an unimaginably important question.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2008, 01:56:26 am »

The random name generator for familiars in the first NWN spewed out Creodor one time. I liked the sound of it, and next time I had to sign up for something, my normal name, Alannon, was taken, so I just used Creodor. I've begun using it more and more, because it's almost never taken, whereas Alannon usually is. In fact, if I try to sign up somewhere and Creodor is taken, I know I have an account already. It's proven handy a few times.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2008, 10:53:29 am »

"Shunter" is abbreviation for Silent Hunter, a submarine game (shunter.zip). My eyes just fell on that file while I was thinking about a nickname.

Then after I got online, I found out that a) Shunter means a kind of train engine that goes backwards, b) there are dozens of other Shunters out there (think Susan Hunter, Sarah Hunter etc).

So Alhena was tacked on, named about a Sims family I had.

A truly manly story for a great name, eh? ;)
fox has become enraged!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2008, 11:10:54 am »

My name is the bastard child from a threesome between the Viking Religion, the Japanese Language, and backlisting.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2008, 12:16:53 pm »

Mine was just the result of wracking my brain for a half-decent username that wasn't already taken, for some random forum . I cannot stand having numbers or symbols after names, and so eventually I settled on "Rictus" (meaning a big ol' toothy grimace or smile) and to this day that word has never been taken on any forum I've joined except, randomly, the Nintendo Wii one.

SoylentNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • Drum Dependent
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2008, 02:42:36 pm »

My name came from the days that I used to play counter strike:source.  after awhile my two favourite methods of screwing around was running up to people with a primed and cooking grenade and having them kill me.  The nade would then go off instantly thus bagging me a couple of kills and laughs.

The other method was finding places up high with popular pathways below.  I would wait until people would go running by and then I would jump on them sinking my knife into the back of their head.  Since I always either blew myself up or used 'surprise' tactics the name SoylentNinja came about. 

I have always visualized myself as this frankenstein sort of creation but with multiple ninja parts....  and oh yeah my name is never taken too which is cool.
"Soylent ninja is pirates!  Piraaaaaates!"
-McDoomhammer

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

I used to play Battlefield 2 as "TheOneFreeNickname", because that's what it was.  Everything else I tried had been taken already (note that this was before CrazyGoblin entered the scene).

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2008, 07:17:52 pm »

"Soylent ninja is pirates!  Piraaaaaates!"
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2008, 12:21:43 am »

I'm curious where you played IoT, as it was called Illusion of Gaia here in the States when I played it as a wee child, and AFAIK Terranigma was never released here (but thanks to the magic of emulators, I've been able to try that one too; didn't get far in it though).

I played them in Australia. I think Terranigma was a sequel to Illusion. I'm wondering if I'm thinking of Terranigma because in the early stages of the game you have to "release" the earth's continents from some form of stasis, so I picture the earth just covered in sea before then, and hence Mu/Atlantis. I can't remember if it really depicted Moai heads or not, but the thought of them is just evokes some kind of joint-subconscious eery-feeling mixed with centredness.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2008, 12:47:17 am »

When did this become a name topic, anyway? I was thinking of making this in Various Nonsense. No need to now!

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4866/frontja5.jpg
Ahh, Terranigma was such a fantastic game...

Very minor spoiler, involving the Moai heads.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Either way, Faces of Mu is an awesome name.

Back on topic(?)! My common username "Keiseth" may have been from a generator. I picked it because I liked the sound of "Kei" and have always liked the name "Seth" (and it has a link to the Egyptian god, Set, too). It's fun because Google never really heard of it before, and now most of Google's results for Keiseth show my (meager) presence in other places. Maybe I picked it because it also has the same number of letters as my actual first name, "Patrick".

The subtext/title "The Mimic" is more creative. I wanted another name to go by, and I was feeling cynical. I learned a lot of things by imitating other people, or their work. I started programming C++ like scripts in a game by imitating other peoples scripts, adjusting them slightly, and playing around with them until they were totally different. Altogether, I like the sound of "Keiseth The Mimic".

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2008, 02:55:22 pm »

@Surma:
Thank you for revealing your name's origin, I had been wondering if you were a Finn. Turns out you aren't, which is a lot cooler somehow.

My nick is based on my real name, which is Lassi (It resembles the words Lass and Lassie very much, but is in fact a guy's name in Finnish.). My friend once told me that I should change my nick in Instant Messager from Lassi to lasd. I soon transfomed it to LASD-ARGH and since then I have written it in all caps. I thought LASD was kind of cool after using a lame-ass nick "Laputius" for too long and so I took it up in number of places.

Few months ago I asked how this friend of mine came up with LASD. Turned out that because we were chatting with 5 participants, he constantly had to type my name to say things to me, so he suggested the change to lasd, because it was faster and easier to write.

Oh, well...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6